British Speedway Forum

The big question is whether Thomsen will score more than a British two pointer would have. If the answer is no they could have used another two pointer and really had four “heatleaders.” 

50 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

I'm gonna have to agree with the suggestion made that Rowe & Newman combined would have scored more than Brennan & Thomsen.

If Rowe gets a Champ spot, will be interesting to compare their final averages.

Yes which was my point all along.Joe T would be better than Tobias, do not know how they work out he is a better rider now than he was in 2019.

I get the impression that the Tom Brennan move caught them out and were scrambling to find a 4pt rider as they had already committed to Sam Hagon and Max Perry just as a guess….

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PTW said:

I get the impression that the Tom Brennan move caught them out and were scrambling to find a 4pt rider as they had already committed to Sam Hagon and Max Perry just as a guess….

Yes it seems that way. I have zero faith in Tobias doing anything. It has been said Brennan availability was a surprise and a no brainer, bet they did not bank on getting a Danish rider of very limited ability. Our reserves are going to be very busy.

Why didn't they sign roynon, last season they said he was capable of a 6pt average. 

• Like 1

I think Poole could have expected 14 to 16 per match regularly from Kyle and Anders combined home and away 

That would have taken pressure completely off Sam and especially Max. 

Brennan and Tidy I can't see more than 9 to 11 points combined. That puts significant pressure on Sam and Max especially away. 

It also puts more pressure than necessary on Cook brothers. 

Barmy really. 

Brennan having talked himself out of Glasgow probably saw Poole as only realistic option as most clubs already decided 

He'll need to really step up to cover for TT lack of scoring Not easy when Poland, PL and Sweden will take priority and stretch him physically and logistically. 

A rare balls up from Poole 

Edited by HGould
Spelling

1 hour ago, foreverblue said:

Yes which was my point all along.Joe T would be better than Tobias, do not know how they work out he is a better rider now than he was in 2019.

Joe T wasn't an option as he'd agreed to join Plymouth with his brother. Tobias' recent scores in the Danish 2nd tier show he has improved a lot. The Fords have a great record of putting together teams of riders that can all improve their averages. If Rowe and Newman were included as 2nd strings with Zach Cook as 3rd heat leader then I'm not sure the improvement would be there?!

51 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

Yes it seems that way. I have zero faith in Tobias doing anything. It has been said Brennan availability was a surprise and a no brainer, bet they did not bank on getting a Danish rider of very limited ability. Our reserves are going to be very busy.

Must admit my jaw dropped when I saw the news last night. I'm not sure what You Tube video's he watched but can't say I was impressed from what I saw of his Brovst rides in that DK 2nd Div or his rides in last seasons DK Ind Champ semi finals. Bike control seemed pretty poor and even when gated he was getting overtaken fairly easy. At 29 he sure isn't going forward. Just can't see what made them go for the guy.

As a supporter and observer  of the port for 53 years, don''t be surprised if he out before the first GSA come in 1st June if/when he drops below 4. Of course he could become a reserve if Sam Hagon lifts his av above him ;).

Just hope we are not out of the BSN Series or the first round of the KO Cup by then as we face Oxford twice in the BSN and Ediburgh twice in the KO Cup first round by then.

Let's hope I am wrong.

8 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Joe T wasn't an option as he'd agreed to join Plymouth with his brother. Tobias' recent scores in the Danish 2nd tier show he has improved a lot. The Fords have a great record of putting together teams of riders that can all improve their averages. If Rowe and Newman were included as 2nd strings with Zach Cook as 3rd heat leader then I'm not sure the improvement would be there?!

I have only seen some You Tube videos (I had to trawl though to find some). Are his Brovst scores available anywhere as I can't find them and would love to see where the Ford's came to the conclusion he was worth a shout.

To be honest I got it horribly wrong with Ben Cook when he first came over as thought he would struggle. He has been a revelation and proved me wrong big time.

Also need to get my head around the fact that maybe at 29 he is a 4 pointer in our League but hope I am wrong. 

18 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Don’t see a lot wrong with this Poole Team.On the track that matters we will have to wait and see.

Me neither…….and I’ll be surprised if the Fords have got it as badly wrong as folk are making out. 

• Like 1

Think tbh we will see from the first 6-7 weeks how good he is,we still have an option to get someone before his average went down if that is the case you would imagine,think the top 4 is strong enough to win us matches just the million dollar question will Tobias hold his own…

10 minutes ago, PTW said:

Think tbh we will see from the first 6-7 weeks how good he is,we still have an option to get someone before his average went down if that is the case you would imagine,think the top 4 is strong enough to win us matches just the million dollar question will Tobias hold his own…

Will his average go down?   Won't he be stuck at 4.00 forever?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lewy said:

Why didn't they sign roynon, last season they said he was capable of a 6pt average. 

I think Adam IS capable of a 6 point average but injuries hold him back and poor bike preparation lets him down. He seems to have more than his fair share of EFs including three in a row at Glasgow at the end of July. His early season form suggested it was going to be a big year for him but he quickly seemed to fade. Such a shame. 

1 hour ago, HGould said:

I think Poole could have expected 14 to 16 per match regularly from Kyle and Anders combined home and away 

That would have taken pressure completely off Sam and especially Max.

I like Kyle (end of season average 5.65. all from reserve) and Anders (5.95) occasionally shows his abilities but to suggest, even in a weaker league they’d score 14-16 points per meeting is pushing it, especially as Kyle would no longer be at reserve. I think your judgement on Tom and Tobias is closer to the mark - 9 to 11.

Poole rarely make mistakes and, if they do, they usually find ways to correct them. One of Middlo’s main jobs, as well as “mothering” Tobias has to be keeping Lawson focused on his racing and not allowing him to be distracted by his testimonial. If he can do that, Poole will be close to the top again in 2024

• Like 1