British Speedway Forum
a4poster

Torquay United Football Club.

Oh dear, this story has a familiar ring to it.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/67380185.amp

For anyone who doesn't know Plainmoor (Torquay's ground) is in a prime re-development spot - a new out of Town stadium has already been mentioned!  From the outside it looks as though the Club is being run down as they were in the Football League a few years ago but now find themselves facing life in the seventh tier of English football.

17 minutes ago, a4poster said:

For anyone who doesn't know Plainmoor (Torquay's ground) is in a prime re-development spot - a new out of Town stadium has already been mentioned!  From the outside it looks as though the Club is being run down as they were in the Football League a few years ago but now find themselves facing life in the seventh tier of English football.

This has also been put on the Swindon Stadium thread!

I also raised this on the Brandon Update thread during the first part of the inquiry

3 hours ago, a4poster said:

Sixth.  They are in the National League South.

Hardly surprising knowing Osborne's history.

2 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Hardly surprising knowing Osborne's history.

Genuine question. Has Osborn ever actually developed a new stadium anywhere or has it always been a case of “acquiring” clubs & winding them down over time whilst failing to find alternative sites for the sport in question?

21 minutes ago, 1 valve said:

Genuine question. Has Osborn ever actually developed a new stadium anywhere or has it always been a case of “acquiring” clubs & winding them down over time whilst failing to find alternative sites for the sport in question?

The Stadium,s that they have owned /leased over the years were/are Bristol, Reading, Milton Keynes, Swindon, Poole, no alternative sites were found for any of those that were closed, I do believe that they had something to do with Hereford Utd FC at one time but not now, as for Torquay Utd FC I would be worried very worried as to where they are headed whilst Osborn is in control, or put another way no Team or Club has flourished under the guidance of Osborn or his companies.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 1 valve said:

He tried his best at Cowley but failed!

On 11/11/2023 at 9:21 AM, 1 valve said:

Yes he has at Swindon plenty of pix on other threads of progress made

3 hours ago, Toady said:

Yes he has at Swindon plenty of pix on other threads of progress made

Is it complete and in use? I thought it was no more than a shell

New Pictures of the work at Abbey Stadium show the new stand being built and the pit arches 

So we have the Pit arches but no Speedway to use the pits Oh I forgot Speedway is unviable, yet Swindon's closest neighbours are rumoured to be entering 2 senior teams in 2024, someone somewhere is telling porkies and it's not difficult to guess who :angry:.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, heathen52 said:

New Pictures of the work at Abbey Stadium show the new stand being built and the pit arches 

So we have the Pit arches but no Speedway to use the pits Oh I forgot Speedway is unviable, yet Swindon's closest neighbours are rumoured to be entering 2 senior teams in 2024, someone somewhere is telling porkies and it's not difficult to guess who :angry:.

As stated on another thread the  stadium had to be built in order to satisfy planning permission for houses to be built on old car park. The houses  are now being erected to the right of the two hangers( wouldn’t take any notice of the report below it is wrong) that are for the greyhounds.

3 hours ago, Toady said:

As I said it is in progress and in use for dogs https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/23866166.abbey-stadium-new-pictures-show-latest-work-swindon-stadium/ here are the pics from another thread about Swindon stadium no less !

Yes, the stadium build in progress but not yet in use. The dogs don't need the stadium building 

I thought I had seen elsewhere that the building was only a shell with none of the internal works competed. 

I'd have every expectation that it will never be completed and will be closed down as soon as possible once housing is complete.

We'll have to wait and see I guess

Edited by Sir Sidney