British Speedway Forum
Matt Davis

Oxford Spires 2024

11 hours ago, Technik said:

I see any one of six riders could be at number 1 or number 6

I'm certain Janowski will never be at #6!  I'll be exceptionally surprised if any of the other Spires riders in the team get within a point & half of Janowski average wise.

11 hours ago, Technik said:

I know Reading FC have a skyline on their shirts & it looks awful. 

Ah the iconic skyline of Reading, no wonder it looks awful on the shirt :wink:

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, arnieg said:

Ah the iconic skyline of Reading, no wonder it looks awful on the shirt :wink:

It's certainly no Slough..:D

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Hamish McRaker said:

I went to see the Doc about it last week. Said there's a lot of it around and gave me some ointment but so far, no better

It should be the Rebels. I'm adamant on that. I'm actually upset that it isn't! For some reason I think I would actually go more if it was (this possibly makes me slightly weird, but I can live with it).

Opening night they could have Dag Lovaas, Lee Kilby, John Davis,  and others there. Return of the Rebels. I'd love it. I'd get well nostalgic.

Missed opportunity I reckon. Somebody should start a petition. I'd sign it.

"Spires" my backside. Rubbish. May as well be calling them the Oxford "Corn Dollies" or the Oxford "New Theatres".

I am sure the Swindon fans would take any of those names just to have their team back. As far as not going because of a name you’re the one losing out, never heard anything like it !

12 minutes ago, Toady said:

I am sure the Swindon fans would take any of those names just to have their team back. As far as not going because of a name you’re the one losing out, never heard anything like it !

I am a Swindon fan. 

On 12/2/2023 at 3:43 PM, lisa-colette said:

Can Oxford even fit another KOC in! 

:rofl::rofl:  well Poole Definitely can't how many times have you failed to complete the jubilee cup 

Don't think Oxford have failed to run a meeting yet 

17 minutes ago, mel said:

:rofl::rofl:  well Poole Definitely can't how many times have you failed to complete the jubilee cup 

Don't think Oxford have failed to run a meeting yet 

We actually gave Leicester seven dates to complete it this season. So think you are looking at the wrong team for that! 

I didn't mean it as a critical opinion towards Oxford. Just that they have a lot of meetings to fit in and that is without factoring the British weather! So it would be easier for them if they didn't have the KOC to worry about. 

16 hours ago, Technik said:

The Oxford team is going to be interesting as the season unfolds. I see any one of six riders could be at number 1 or number 6 only the rising star in Aston  Boughen is almost asured to remain at reserve.

I'm still not getting to grips with the "Spires" nickname. I always think a nickname or emblem should be something a child can draw & understand. The only place a city skyline has worked for me is on the credits of Frasier. I know Reading FC have a skyline on their shirts & it looks awful. 

But surely it must be linked to the spire of the cathedral? If that's the case then fair play to them for paying homage to the culture of the city

18 minutes ago, StarBoy said:

But surely it must be linked to the spire of the cathedral? If that's the case then fair play to them for paying homage to the culture of the city

I think this is the source 

https://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryMagazine/DestinationsUK/Oxford-City-of-Dreaming-Spires/#:~:text=Oxford is the county town,architecture of these university buildings.

On 12/6/2023 at 9:03 PM, Technik said:

The Oxford team is going to be interesting as the season unfolds. I see any one of six riders could be at number 1 or number 6 only the rising star in Aston  Boughen is almost asured to remain at reserve.

I'm still not getting to grips with the "Spires" nickname. I always think a nickname or emblem should be something a child can draw & understand. The only place a city skyline has worked for me is on the credits of Frasier. I know Reading FC have a skyline on their shirts & it looks awful. 

On 12/7/2023 at 8:32 AM, Col said:

I'm certain Janowski will never be at #6!  I'll be exceptionally surprised if any of the other Spires riders in the team get within a point & half of Janowski average wise.

Was gonna say the same thing, if you think Janowski could drop to reserve or Kerr move up to number one, you need your head checked lol!

It’s good to see Janowski back in British speedway but is one rider I’ve never been impressed by. He isn’t the bench mark signing like Emil but it’s great to see the standard of riders improving.

fwiw Oxford have quite a few hit and miss signings. Probably do fine at home (which is important for any side) but may but less successful away.

Good to see them in the top flight and I wish them well. Hope to make it down to Cowley in 2024.

1 hour ago, stevebrum said:

It’s good to see Janowski back in British speedway but is one rider I’ve never been impressed by. He isn’t the bench mark signing like Emil but it’s great to see the standard of riders improving.

fwiw Oxford have quite a few hit and miss signings. Probably do fine at home (which is important for any side) but may but less successful away.

Good to see them in the top flight and I wish them well. Hope to make it down to Cowley in 2024.

Few more top names coming  back ...Can only be good  4 British Speedway...

• Like 1

I'm wondering about the 10 match pass that you can buy.

Does anyone know if two people can share one pass - ie 5 matches each when going together?

Might be worth getting one to be used by me and my son if it can be used this way.