British Speedway Forum
Col

Brummies 2024...

2 hours ago, TTT said:

Lambert has already confirmed he won't be doing Britain until 2025.

I agree that Schlein will be next then it'll probably be Zagar.

Piotr Pawlicki at No.1 imo.

Freddie has to be number one then. If Pawlicki. We will be at the bottom of the league and fans won’t be turning in their number if we havnt got a strong side  

Freddie at No.1 has to be the dream ticket. World class rider and with more than a passing association with the homeless Wolves fans. Not my favourite rider, but I'd turn out to see him when Birmingham are in town.

21 minutes ago, Brummies23 said:

Freddie has to be number one then. If Pawlicki. We will be at the bottom of the league and fans won’t be turning in their number if we havnt got a strong side  

It would make sense as Freddie is the only one who'd get Brum close to the points limit.

Problem is all talk has gone dead on him and the heavily rumoured names all winter have gone where everyone said they will go and the names still heavily linked with Brum at the moment are Zagar, Schlein, W. Lampart and the Pawlicki brothers which doesn't make for good reading.

All this worry before team is fully announced . Give them a chance . Also.  We don’t know how the poles will perform

. nobody rated Tarrasenko yet he turned out pretty good at Pererborough. Let’s wait and see . For the sake of the sport , Birmingham

need a competitive team

2 minutes ago, Pumpy said:

All this worry before team is fully announced . GiveQuote them a chance . Also.  We don’t know how the poles will perform

. nobody rated Tarrasenko yet he turned out pretty good at Pererborough. Let’s wait and see . For the sake of the sport , Birmingham

need a competitive team

The worry is that so far Brum have announced a decent team of Championship riders but Brum are now in the Premiership.

Zagar 100% will be a Brummie in 2024 following Lindgren deciding against a full season in UK 

It was hard work last season watching us get battered every week. The kids I bring each week might start to thin out if we get battered by Sheffield.

Last time I saw Schlein at PB, he was whinging about the amount of water they'd put down before the meeting. Mind you, he did the track walk in flip flops... 

I've only seen Schlein at Perry Barr once, he was wearing Pugwash navy & was awful.  If he is one of the final 3 riders the Brummies are destined for the wooden spoon.  Any three of Zagar, Lindgren & the Pawlicki brothers and they'll be competitive.  It's a solid bottom 4 signed so far..

I’ve enjoyed my recent visits to watch the Lions at Brum and I hope that they make a real go of it next season. I’m trying to see through all of the negativity on this thread but the Brum supporters aren’t stupid and are very realistic about next season based on recent history. Everyone has them down for the wooden spoon in 2024. If the club’s financial predicament is as fragile as we are led to believe, seventh position may be an achievement as it would mean that they have completed the season.

• Like 1

Someone has to 'receive' the wooden Spoon...so for me, that's not an issue...what would be an issue and obviously the jury's still out...is that we sign 7 riders that get a walloping every week?

Are our first 4 riders competitive compared to other teams 'similar' averaged riders? I don't know coz I don''t know the 'Prem' ?

If they're not, then our final 3 have to be!

1 hour ago, GiveusaB said:

Someone has to 'receive' the wooden Spoon...so for me, that's not an issue...what would be an issue and obviously the jury's still out...is that we sign 7 riders that get a walloping every week?

Are our first 4 riders competitive compared to other teams 'similar' averaged riders? I don't know coz I don''t know the 'Prem' ?

If they're not, then our final 3 have to be!

It's how you go about getting that wooden spoon though, it could go down to the last match of the season still being in with a chance of making the play offs... or you could secure it by June, at the moment it looks like the latter, surely the alarm bells must be ringing without the signing of a Number 1 yet, when all the other teams have their's and some have 2 number 1's.

I can't imagine why the promotion would not have named him already unless there were serious issues around getting any of the riders in question. Apparently Zagar does not come cheap and he's certainly not a number 1 these days, you've got to be looking at the likes of Zmarzlik, Vaculik, Lindgren, Laguta, Madsen,  Dudek... maybe Michelson or Thomson as an outside shout 

Edited by iainb

Seems like each season there's one club in particular that struggles to recruit suitable riders and I still have unpleasant memories of Leicester in the mid 1970's and during the ill-fated (and ill-advised) seasons in the Elite league under the Hemsley regime. Really hope this turns out not to be the case for the Brummies 2024 and you get some good breaks

23 minutes ago, iainb said:

It's how you go about getting that wooden spoon though, it could go down to the last match of the season still being in with a chance of making the play offs... or you could secure it by June, at the moment it looks like the latter, surely the alarm bells must be ringing without the signing of a Number 1 yet, when all the other teams have their's and some have 2 number 1's.

I can't imagine why the promotion would not have named him already unless there were serious issues around getting any of the riders in question. Apparently Zagar does not come cheap and he's certainly not a number 1 these days, you've got to be looking at the likes of Zmarzlik, Vaculik, Lindgren, Laguta, Madsen,  Dudek... maybe Michelson or Thomson as an outside shout 

EXACTLY!

One can only assume that may be a 'sponsorship deal' is trying to be secured to enable the 'right' sort of calibre needed?

Sometimes...no news is better than bad news ? :D

2 hours ago, iainb said:

You've got 4 of the top 5 in the GP in that list, the chances of them wanting to ride here/fancying Birmingham and Brum being able to afford them if they did must be virtually nil. Definitely worth asking though 

That leaves Laguta Dudek Michelsen or Thomson and Pawlicki