British Speedway Forum
Col

Brummies 2024...

8 minutes ago, LagutaRacingFan said:

Laguta was visiting tracks for the first time last year. He will be so much better on his 2nd visit.

Birmingham would be silly not to sign Artem.

Good rider but only seems to want the home matches...Expensive  to ...

34 minutes ago, Pauldoveyspeedway said:

Schlein for Lampart would have been better .Then Cook would have been at number 6..

Early start to the New Years Celebrations is it? Jeez, that'll be some take if sober :lol:

Edited by Daniel Smith

6 hours ago, bellevueace said:

Considering Birmingham appeared to be struggling crowd wise i thought it a strange move to move up into the premiership given the additional cost, at least it keeps another club going but will they see out the season? Those were my initial thoughts, Birmingham is a large city with a good catchment area and given the loss of Coventry, Cradley, and now sadly Wolves the opportunity is surely there to attract good crowds, so taking their time to put out an attractive team with a competetive top two is understandable. Good luck to Nigel Tolley i hope he pulls it off, i hope Birmingham turn out to be a sucsess story. Happy New Year to all forum members.

They haven't managed to attract Coventry and Cradley fans in any significant numbers over an extended period I don't see why this season will be any different 

They might get some Wolves fans but if the team is losing every/most weeks that won't last long 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, the hobbit said:

No thanks 

He wouldn't be my choice either but I think from Birminghams point of view he would be good signing 

1 hour ago, Pauldoveyspeedway said:

Schlein for Lampart would have been better .Then Cook would have been at number 6..

They would be "encouraged", to build an asset base just in case "anything happens" and debts need to be paid.. 

9 hours ago, IanBrannan said:

Why would you now feel the need to rush it, when every other team has their 1-7 signed and announced. I’d look at it that Birmingham now is the ONLY choice for any rider looking to race in GB, and some who were not interested in Sept last year will now be looking at it. The announcements by other clubs will actually help encourage this, plus why would you announce a major signing in the run up or over Christmas when you would get zero publicity. 

They are more than aware they need a 1 & 5, just enjoy your egg nog 

Yes, I agree, I'm just posting coz I'm bored ! Lol

However, the first 5 signings are signings that nobody else wanted in fairness. There hasn't been any coups yet! Just my opinion!

4 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

Yes, I agree, I'm just posting coz I'm bored ! Lol

However, the first 5 signings are signings that nobody else wanted in fairness. There hasn't been any coups yet! Just my opinion!

Have to disagree. I’m sure flint, Worrall, Brennan and cook would all have had numerous options. 
no problem with any of those signings, solid foundations. 
the success of failure of the team depends 100% on the last two signings. 

Edited by the hobbit

Posted (edited)

Re Laguta. I think i can safely  that say that after Alex's disagreement with Buster, that he agreed a deal with Alex that he would ride in all meetings. With a concern for Wolves. But he signed for it. and the pairs btw. That was before Alex left..  We know Buster was struggling at mid way through the season, after Alex  and CJ bailed out..

Personally i think  the Laguta deal was re negotiated by Buster and meetings after that... i  believe that  if the money was there, Laguta would be. A deal between Buster and AL..Just my personal opinion, i'll add.. Alex told me he wouldn't of signed him if he couldn't commit to all the meetings........ Believe it if you wish.............

Edited by Bald Bloke

6 hours ago, Bald Bloke said:

Re Laguta. I think i can safely  that say that after Alex's disagreement with Buster, that he agreed a deal with Alex that he would ride in all meetings. With a concern for Wolves. But he signed for it. and the pairs btw. That was before Alex left..  We know Buster was struggling at mid way through the season, after Alex  and CJ bailed out..

Personally i think  the Laguta deal was re negotiated by Buster and meetings after that... i  believe that  if the money was there, Laguta would be. A deal between Buster and AL..Just my personal opinion, i'll add.. Alex told me he wouldn't of signed him if he couldn't commit to all the meetings........ Believe it if you wish.............

So the problem wasnt Artem being able to commit to all the meetings and more that Alex didnt himself.......

If Laguta is available NT simply has to sign him, okay he may cost a few bob but without a Top class No1 it will cost Nigel a lot more than what he may think, being without a true No1 will impact on his gates a lot more than paying what Artem will cost, Laguta riding for the Brummies against Sayfutdinov, Doyle, Bewley, Holder and the like should certainly create interest and bring people through the gates.

Nigel says he is in no rush to complete the Team well in my opinion he ought to be, this will then give them time to get other things sorted out such as sponsorship deals and having a former World/GP Champion on board will be a good starting point, being the second city team may well have some drawbacks with potential supporters having other plenty of choices for there leisure pound, but it also gives the Brummies more opportunity to get some big name sponsors on board that wish to be associated with World Champions, his landlord and his businesses would be someone as an example that they could possibly target, another area could be house builders who are generally awash with cash etc etc.

Incidentally I noticed in Nigel's new year message that while he mentioned Laurence, Chris (assistant manager) and himself being involved in deciding the No1 and No5 he did NOT mention Sam Ermolenko (Team manager) which I thought was rather strange, my advice for what it's worth (probably nowt) is to pull your respective fingers out get the team signed up then you can concentrate on getting potential sponsors on board, Good luck in 2024.

• Like 1

I wouldn't go near Laguta unless it was promised that Wroclaw won't interfere like they did last year. And even if they did promise I still wouldn't trust that they would stick to it. 

Nicki Pedersen is available :D

17 hours ago, noaksey said:

They haven't managed to attract Coventry and Cradley fans in any significant numbers over an extended period I don't see why this season will be any different 

They might get some Wolves fans but if the team is losing every/most weeks that won't last long 

Yes it would seem those that followed Coventry and Cradley have drifted away from the sport, would probably only return if their own clubs came back.

23 minutes ago, bellevueace said:

Yes it would seem those that followed Coventry and Cradley have drifted away from the sport, would probably only return if their own clubs came back.

I know some of those followers who no longer visit tracks regularly, but rather than having drifted away from the sport they now see more meetings than ever, via Eurosport/Discovery+ and BSN in GB, plus the televised Swedish matches and streamed Polish meetings, amongst others.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Bagpuss said:

I wouldn't go near Laguta unless it was promised that Wroclaw won't interfere like they did last year. And even if they did promise I still wouldn't trust that they would stick to it. 

I’m not so sure it had anything to do with Wroclaw - that’s backed up by Bewley, Woffinden and now Janowski all signing over here for this season.

Laguta might not be a massively reliable number 1 but I would take him scoring a stack load at home over a Matej Zagar type rider any day of the week.

Edited by Najjer