British Speedway Forum
Col

Brummies 2024...

1 hour ago, Najjer said:

I’m not so sure it had anything to do with Wroclaw - that’s backed up by Bewley, Woffinden and now Janowski all signing over here for this season.

Laguta might not be a massively reliable number 1 but I would take him scoring a stack load at home over a Matej Zagar type rider any day of the week.

Sources are never 100% correct of course but I'd heard that it was very much to do with Wroclaw, especially once other squad members picked up injuries. Apart from Wolves away I don't know why he would miss any meetings out of choice considering the guarantee he was reportedly on! 

What I don’t understand with Mr Tolly does he realise the Birmingham have already finished top of the highest league, with a home and away meetings in the Semi Final both shown on sky, then the 2 legged final against Poole again shown on Sky, this was at the time when Sky were paying rubbish loads of money into Speedway, and yet they still lost money according to Mr Mole, So why will things change now? 

5 hours ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

So the problem wasnt Artem being able to commit to all the meetings and more that Alex didnt himself.......

All i can say is i was told AL had signed for all the meetings under Alex, but as we know shortly afterwards Alex departed. I suspect Buster re negotiated the deal, as he said himself that money was a problem after he took over from Alex.

15 hours ago, the hobbit said:

Have to disagree. I’m sure flint, Worrall, Brennan and cook would all have had numerous options. 
no problem with any of those signings, solid foundations. 
the success of failure of the team depends 100% on the last two signings. 

Im sure if he signed 2 big guns now it would  boost season ticket sales..Leaving it late can work both ways ...A rider might demand more if they know they are desperate for riders...

20 hours ago, Pauldoveyspeedway said:

Im sure if he signed 2 big guns now it would  boost season ticket sales..Leaving it late can work both ways ...A rider might demand more if they know they are desperate for riders...

Some people on here will remember the "noughties" when Newport were habitually one of the last teams to declare. I suspect that the mastermind behind that is influencing recruitment and PR tactics now too. 

15 minutes ago, uk_martin said:

Some people on here will remember the "noughties" when Newport were habitually one of the last teams to declare. I suspect that the mastermind behind that is influencing recruitment and PR tactics now too. 

Who would that be then? As in the three years LR was at Newport the teams were announced very quickly. 

Tim Stone in his latter years at Newport would take ages to declare his side - I remember one year the season had already started and we hadn't announced our number 1! 

On 12/31/2023 at 5:14 PM, noaksey said:

They haven't managed to attract Coventry and Cradley fans in any significant numbers over an extended period I don't see why this season will be any different 

They might get some Wolves fans but if the team is losing every/most weeks that won't last long 

On 1/1/2024 at 10:17 AM, bellevueace said:

Yes it would seem those that followed Coventry and Cradley have drifted away from the sport, would probably only return if their own clubs came back.

I'm still here!  But I'd rather travel *4 the distance to see racing at the best racetrack in the country (NSS) than go to Perry Barr weekly (same could have been said for Monmore in the last few years).  If Brummies get the track right and the team is competitive I'm sure more ex-Heathens & ex-Bee's fans would attend.  But a dusty track and a team getting hammered every week isn't much fun, especially when it's not the team you grew up supporting.

There were enough people wearing Bees merchandise when I visited Leicester a couple of times last year.

• Like 2

On 1/1/2024 at 1:58 PM, Bald Bloke said:

All i can say is i was told AL had signed for all the meetings under Alex, but as we know shortly afterwards Alex departed. I suspect Buster re negotiated the deal, as he said himself that money was a problem after he took over from Alex.

This is the way I seen it too. Laguta was given a free pass for several away matches like away to Wolves, to save the air fares and Buster’s wallet

17 hours ago, Col said:

I'm still here!  But I'd rather travel *4 the distance to see racing at the best racetrack in the country (NSS) than go to Perry Barr weekly (same could have been said for Monmore in the last few years).  If Brummies get the track right and the team is competitive I'm sure more ex-Heathens & ex-Bee's fans would attend.  But a dusty track and a team getting hammered every week isn't much fun, especially when it's not the team you grew up supporting.

There were enough people wearing Bees merchandise when I visited Leicester a couple of times last year.

Spot on...

Uniquely, Speedway, quite possibly due to the way is ran (in the UK), means it is more "sports entertainment" rather than a bona fide "sports championship", which means plenty who attend are generic Speedway fans first and foremost, rather than "tribal followers" of a team...

The smell, the noise, the lights, the speed and the atmosphere got most of us hooked, well before forming any team allegiance, (the word "team" in UK Speedway being as tenuous as it could be)..

The issue in attracting ex fans of the tracks closed down "locally" will be more down to the target marketing of these fans to get them there, rather than any major reticence on their part I would suggest...

Brum hopefully have already trawled any FB Groups and any Supporter Groups of the ex tracks and made contact...

Might as sell offer up some free and £10 tickets through the season to these fans, just to see if they can become "regulars" ongoing, or, at least until they get their respective tracks' back..

As, if they ever do return, you can almost guarantee that these fans will all be there that night they reopen, meaning they will have kept a healthy interest in the sport in the interim..

Therefore, try and get them to Brum.

And healthy crowds at a track "local" to Wolves, Cov and Cradley, could also help in convincing their respective local authorities that the sport has a part to play in the local community and is vibrant and viable..

• Like 1

On 12/31/2023 at 11:51 PM, the hobbit said:

Have to disagree. I’m sure flint, Worrall, Brennan and cook would all have had numerous options. 
no problem with any of those signings, solid foundations. 
the success of failure of the team depends 100% on the last two signings. 

Yes, I agree, no problem at all with these signings, I'm just merely pointing out that (I think...) other teams second string riders are 'stronger'... (which makes the last 2 signings 'vital'...)

Flint should be able to hold his own at reserve....Brennan/Cook will be exciting to see progress....Worrall is steady .....and cant really say much about Lampart ?

Laguta/Lingdren would be perfect!!

48 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

And expensive.

28 minutes ago, Col said:

And expensive.

Pay peanuts and you get.......

3 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

Pay peanuts and you get.......

Our warehouse staff always get a big bag of peanuts at Christmas!!

5 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

Yes, I agree, no problem at all with these signings, I'm just merely pointing out that (I think...) other teams second string riders are 'stronger'... (which makes the last 2 signings 'vital'...)

Flint should be able to hold his own at reserve....Brennan/Cook will be exciting to see progress....Worrall is steady .....and cant really say much about Lampart ?

L&L would be expensive, but Birmingham is the 2nd city in the UK, surely there must be a couple of Sponsors in the Birmingham area that would sponsor at least one of them ?, There are major employers within the city that should be approached with Sponsorship in mind, if NT is putting in what he says he is then signing L&L and moving heaven and earth to find Sponsors is the way to go, sitting back and dilly dallying over which rider to sign is not helpful when trying to attract Sponsors.