British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Beirao

Interval Attractions

2 hours ago, therefused said:

do any of those things 'promote speedway'?

Not at all. And it is a bit of a misnomer to call these things 'attractions', as i doubt they attracted anyone. More often than not the stadium emptied out after the main meeting, or people were off to the bar/toilets

I do remember Wimbedon had an annual Kent grasstrack bunch of riders going round the track 

33 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Not at all. And it is a bit of a misnomer to call these things 'attractions', as i doubt they attracted anyone. More often than not the stadium emptied out after the main meeting, or people were off to the bar/toilets

I do remember Wimbedon had an annual Kent grasstrack bunch of riders going round the track 

Which is why they were put on during the interval.

15 minutes ago, StevePark said:

Which is why they were put on during the interval.

Wasn't the interval after the main meeting in the period that is generally being discussed ?

1 hour ago, iris123 said:

There were exceptions, Tilehurst was full of 'teenyboppers' for (ahem) Gary Glitter in 1973.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, arnieg said:

There were exceptions, Tilehurst was full of 'teenyboppers' for (ahem) Gary Glitter in 1973.

Sure around that time Alvin Stardust came to Plough Lane. I can't be sure if he boosted the crowd . I do remember shaking all over during some of the cold early Spring meetings though 

Best bet is to do something with the fans during the interval where they could potentially win something, tickets to the next meeting or something like that.

cuts down on paying for anything else and depending on what it is, keeps the fans in the crowd entertained 

2 hours ago, iris123 said:

Wasn't the interval after the main meeting in the period that is generally being discussed ?

Quite possibly, but in those days (I'm talking mid-to-late-70's here), I seem to remember, a lot of people used to stick around, because it was a "proper" second-half, with all the riders from the main meeting involved. 

10 hours ago, StevePark said:

Quite possibly, but in those days (I'm talking mid-to-late-70's here), I seem to remember, a lot of people used to stick around, because it was a "proper" second-half, with all the riders from the main meeting involved. 

I used to stay on and watch the second halves. At Oxford during the early to middle seventies we were spoilt dure to our tie up with sister tracks Eastbourne and Peterborough  where many of their riders would contest the second half. Great days!

21 hours ago, therefused said:

do any of those things 'promote speedway'?

Yes, because it creates publicity before the meeting and increases the attendance at the meeting. If it didn't do either, then I would have thought that Ian Thomas wouldn't have booked any interval attractions.

• Like 1

Long before any of our time - Bristol used to have Laurel and Hardy.

11 hours ago, spinkox said:

Riding for them?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, chunky said:

Riding for them?

I'd have had Stan in my team but I don't fancy your chances with Olly. :D

• Like 1

1 minute ago, False dawn said:

I'd have had Stan in my team but I don't fancy your chances with Olly. :D

If he gated, he wouldn't be easy to pass!

• Haha 1

On 1/26/2024 at 11:23 AM, bigdave said:

Yes, because it creates publicity before the meeting and increases the attendance at the meeting. If it didn't do either, then I would have thought that Ian Thomas wouldn't have booked any interval attractions.

i cant imagine it made much different to attendance whatsoever. 

On 1/28/2024 at 9:55 AM, spinkox said:

Can't remember Hardy riding for Bristol ?

Dave Hardy | Speedway riders, history and results (proboards.com)

but Olle did in 1953 

Olle Nygren | Speedway riders, history and results (proboards.com)

Edited by piston197