British Speedway Forum
Bagpuss

Championship Predictions 2024

19 hours ago, Nickinho said:

I don't think Glasgow will win it this year but i said that last year as well. Then again I didn't forsee the signing of Tarasenko which turned a very good team into an unbeatable one. That signing was a bit of genius.

The plan will come to fruition as the season unfolds ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/21/2024 at 8:23 PM, Nickinho said:

I don't think Glasgow will win it this year but i said that last year as well. Then again I didn't forsee the signing of Tarasenko which turned a very good team into an unbeatable one. That signing was a bit of genius.

You could argue by signing Tarasenko Glasgow built to a higher points limit than everyone else, the rules were stupid, but you can't blame Glasgow for that. Imo any team winning with Tarasenko on a 5.00 would be a hollow victory.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

You could argue by signing Tarasenko Glasgow built to a higher points limit than everyone else, the rules were stupid, but you can't blame Glasgow for that. Imo any team winning with Tarasenko on a 5.00 would be a hollow victory.

I enjoyed it. 

I would go further and say I thoroughly enjoyed it , so hollow nah not for me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Nothing hollow about it, no rules were broken a masterstroke. 

• Like 4

1. REDCAR (Will start slow due to a couple of riders returning from big injuries but once they get going they'll be difficult to stop)

2. GLASGOW (Top two should clean up and they've gone for tried and tested at reserve instead of 2.00 newcomers so that'll give them an advantage)

3. OXFORD (Top two should clean up like Glasgow, Also got four average improvers in Atkins, Boughen Jenkins and Killeen)

4. SCUNTHORPE (3 experienced HL's, Mountain should improve considering he's D/UP, Lambert should kick on in a weakened league and Ablitt is one of the better reserves in the league)

5. POOLE (The spearhead is good but the tail end of the team as it's too weak, Banking on the top 4 firing on all cylinders to win meetings)

6. BERWICK (Best Berwick side for a good few years but it's still a weak one, Hume is a poor rider, Etheridge doesn't offer much on the road and Schlein isn't riding Prem which will have a negative impact on his race sharpness imo, Kerr as a No.1 isn't tried and tested yet either)

7. WORKINGTON (Great signings in Voulas and Zischke but the Cook/Batchelor 1&5 combo has got disaster written all over it and it'll cost them crucial meetings)

8. EDINBURGH (Poor side and is banking on the same riders improving who let them down last season)

9. PLYMOUTH (Where are the Heat Winners going to come from?)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

We only made the change because Marcin decided he needed to leave to prioritise his Polish club. No one wanted him to leave. Once he had left, we signed the best rider we could according to the riders available, which happened to be Vadim once it was established Patryk Wojdylo couldn’t be signed.

The rules around 5 point averages were queried at the 2022 AGM, so everyone agreeing to the rules understood the ramifications. Maybe they thought it would never happen, but they agreed the rules. No one said the rule was stupid until it was used.

• Like 4

1. Scunthorpe
2. Poole
3. Plymouth
4. Oxford
5. Redcar
6. Glasgow
7. Berwick
8. Workington
9. Edinburgh

• Confused 1

On 1/23/2024 at 8:55 AM, TTT said:

1. REDCAR (Will start slow due to a couple of riders returning from big injuries but once they get going they'll be difficult to stop)

2. GLASGOW (Top two should clean up and they've gone for tried and tested at reserve instead of 2.00 newcomers so that'll give them an advantage)

3. OXFORD (Top two should clean up like Glasgow, Also got four average improvers in Atkins, Boughen Jenkins and Killeen)4. No.1 isn't tried and tested yet either)

I agree with your top three but if Jenkins can progress this season and become a real number three then they'd quickly become my favourite for the title. This may cause a bit of a debate but I see him as having a better future than Flint if he can take that next step this year.

4 hours ago, Falcon1983 said:

1. Scunthorpe
2. Poole
3. Plymouth
4. Oxford
5. Redcar
6. Glasgow
7. Berwick
8. Workington
9. Edinburgh

Not sure what you have against Glasgow, they'll definitely be in the top three or four but I agree that Scunthorpe look like really good contenders this season. However, PLYMOUTH at 3?!!!! Crikey! I'll be amazed if they finish out of the bottom three.

2 hours ago, Nickinho said:

Not sure what you have against Glasgow, they'll definitely be in the top three or four but I agree that Scunthorpe look like really good contenders this season. However, PLYMOUTH at 3?!!!! Crikey! I'll be amazed if they finish out of the bottom three.

Nothing against any of them, as i have no affiliation to any side, just feel Glasgow will not be as good as people believe

I think Plymouth could be the surprise package as their 1-7 are generally good at home so can be some bonus points won, both Thompsons will improve if they stay injury free, Joe i believe scored 7ish guesting at no.3 last season so being at 7 in a weaker league will see him score well

Ok Covatti and Barker aren't Harris/Worrall but they are triers which will give them a good chance 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Falcon1983 said:

Nothing against any of them, as i have no affiliation to any side, just feel Glasgow will not be as good as people believe

I think Plymouth could be the surprise package as their 1-7 are generally good at home so can be some bonus points won, both Thompsons will improve if they stay injury free, Joe i believe scored 7ish guesting at no.3 last season so being at 7 in a weaker league will see him score well

Ok Covatti and Barker aren't Harris/Worrall but they are triers which will give them a good chance 

With all the track changes/improvements being made at Plymouth, they will improve the away team's chances as much as the home team - especially in the early weeks of the season.

20 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

With all the track changes/improvements being made at Plymouth, they will improve the away team's chances as much as the home team - especially in the early weeks of the season.

Most likely

But i guess we'll soon find out

Just for fun  :D

1 Workington 

2 Plymouth 

3 Edinburgh 

4 Berwick 

5 Redcar 

6 Oxford 

7 Scunthorpe 

8 Poole 

9 Glasgow 

Edited by Neila
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Neila said:

Just for fun  :D

1 Workington 

2 Plymouth 

3 Edinburgh 

4 Berwick 

5 Redcar 

6 Oxford 

7 Scunthorpe 

8 Poole 

9 Glasgow 

You have put your prediction upside down.

Easy mistake to make even in fun.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Nickinho said:

I agree with your top three but if Jenkins can progress this season and become a real number three then they'd quickly become my favourite for the title. This may cause a bit of a debate but I see him as having a better future than Flint if he can take that next step this year.

I rate Jenkins, Saw him a lot for us last season and he got better and better as the season went on.

• Like 1