British Speedway Forum

The battle of the 2 Pie men!!

Wasn't he on First Dates as well???

I look forward to Alan's business partners examining his proposed investment into BSPL :D

So you don't own any stadiums, haven't got enough riders and the average age of your customers is 88.....      .....you don't need £250k mate you need a miracle.

Nice pies though.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, enotian said:

Wasn't he on First Dates as well???

I look forward to Alan's business partners examining his proposed investment into BSPL :D

So you don't own any stadiums, haven't got enough riders and the average age of your customers is 88.....      .....you don't need £250k mate you need a miracle.

Nice pies though.

And you will only open your doors when your best employees tell you they can get into work, as they all have other jobs, rather than when your customers would like you to open...

Resulting in inconsistent, sporadic, opening hours, which can sometimes see you close your doors for up to a month...

And these best employees will also be given your blessing to go and work for your competition, as and when your competition are short staffed, helping your competitors to actually do better than you in your chosen field of business..

And for that, as you can probably imagine, 

I am out....

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, mikebv said:

And for that, as you can probably imagine, 

I am out....

You're not out... you're fired :D

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, iainb said:

You're not out... you're fired :D

The flaw in Baldrick's cunning plan....:D

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Falcon1983 said:

I look forward to Bowen looking like an idiot like most (not all) applicants on the show

He's certainly an acquired taste, one to which I'm not a fan. 

• Like 1

Never watched the programme before, but what a set of shambles the blokes were.

The leader of the men's team did nothing but talk Sh8te and funnily enough was followed by certain colleagues as in being behind.

All the clowns on the leaders side deserved firing as totally clueless.

If these are the brains of the future of Britain, we are doomed as is speedway.

Clowns belong in a circus, whoa you might say.

They are it`s called speedway.

I thought Bowen came across as a bit of an outsider in the various group situations he was shown in. Unless he rapidly becomes more prominent, puts himself at risk of Sugar spotting this and trying to flush him out.

Bowen seemed to be the one who made the deal which proved to be the killer blow for his team, yet seemed to get away without it being brought out when the dirt hit the fan. He was lucky.

Much of the TV critique of the first episode in National media was negative about the contestants - although a couple mentioned Mr Bowen as a 'strong outsider'!?

You have to remember it is one of the best edited shows on TV for the purposes of entertainment

It's still one of the top rated TV programmes, still pulls in the viewing figures, and gets tens of thousands of applicants to go on each series, so full respect to Paul Bowen for what he's done in getting there.

But the programme is now a parody of its former self.   It used to be a semi-serious attempt to find a business brain, in the days of contestants like Tim Campbell and Ruth Badger. 

Alas now it's purely played for laughs and scripted and edited to make the candidates look like idiots.  (And clearly some are chosen because they are idiots, like the one who clapped when told they'd had to give away 52% of their turnover in refunds).

But you can guarantee that when other team used crumble mix instead of breadcrumbs, it was because that had been set up by the producers.   It's definitely pre-produced and played for laughs these days and not to be taken seriously.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RoundTheBoards said:

Alas now it's purely played for laughs and scripted and edited to make the candidates look like idiots.  (And clearly some are chosen because they are idiots, like the one who clapped when told they'd had to give away 52% of their turnover in refunds).

I was surprised he wasn’t fired on the spot for that. The only thing worse than a narcissistic egomaniac is one that’s also wrong.

On 2/3/2024 at 11:48 AM, iainb said:

You have to remember it is one of the best edited shows on TV for the purposes of entertainment

I know one of the former contestants from many many years ago. She did tell me that some scenarios edited together, were from different days. Someone behind camera wound her up to get an angry expression, this was edited into another scene to get the impression she had a dislike for some ones idea. The woman I know in real life is completely different to the edited one on this programme.