British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Grachan

Polish League to race on Thursdays from 2025

I've been seeing this all day, but can't see anything on here about it. As part of a TV deal the Polish league is due to ride on Thursdays next year despite it being reserved for British League.

Not sure what the "nuclear action" is, but it sounds pretty drastic!

Slag. No more driving in the English Premier League?! The authorities of the Ekstraliga will use the nuclear option - WP SportFacts

From the 2025 season, Metalkas 2. Ekstraliga will also be played on Thursdays. This solution, although controversial, was necessary to take care of the interests of television. Now it turns out that it will also have serious consequences for speedway riders.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An earlier start of the speedway weekend was therefore necessary. However, it is worth mentioning that this solution has one drawback. Thursdays are slots reserved for the English Premier League. The Speedway Extraleague has been talking to the English for several months so that the Polish league would be given priority for these two games. However, there is no consent from the other side for this and there are many indications that there will be none. Therefore, the authorities of the Polish speedway will most likely have to use the nuclear option.

As we have been able to determine, from next year we should expect the introduction of a ban on confirmation to start in Metalkas 2. Ekstraliga speedway riders who have contracts in the English league.

Let's add that, for example, this year in the British Premiership there will be as many as twelve riders who have contracts in Metalkas 2. Ekstraliga.

12 riders that will most likely leave british speedway then, unless the riders either move up or down the polish leagues.

It will make team building difficult.

Posted (edited)

I suppose England will ride on Monday's and Wednesday's in 2025. Will only lose a couple of Danish riders then as nobody else would chose Denmark over Britain.

Edited by TTT
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, TTT said:

I suppose England will ride on Monday's and Wednesday's in 2025. Will only lose a couple of Danish riders then as nobody else would chose Denmark over Britain.

That’s what I was thinking would be easier and I think my team Poole would defo move up that’s the case which is b really happy about.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

58 minutes ago, TTT said:

Not sure Sheffield would move race days, maybe they would move down, Poole would take their place I guess

2 minutes ago, eric i said:

Not sure Sheffield would move race days, maybe they would move down, Poole would take their place I guess

Ipswich wouldn’t give up Thursdays either. 

13 hours ago, eric i said:

12 riders that will most likely leave british speedway then, unless the riders either move up or down the polish leagues.

It will make team building difficult.

Which riders does it affect ? 

11 hours ago, PTW said:

and I think my team Poole would defo move up that’s the case which is b really happy about.

Premiership threads have been so much nicer without the empty head bunch in them

Fingers crossed the BSPL stand firm for Thursday's :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Phil said:

Which riders does it affect ? 

As per this posting on X

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Ellis / Rew also effected ? 

Edited by AceBelle

British speedway isn't going to beat Polish speedway in a battle so probably best to work with them and arrange fixtures accordingly, assuming Poland are willing to compromise and arrange their Thursday fixtures early enough and not change them on a whim.

9 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

British speedway isn't going to beat Polish speedway in a battle so probably best to work with them and arrange fixtures accordingly, assuming Poland are willing to compromise and arrange their Thursday fixtures early enough and not change them on a whim.

Totally agree, even if British Speedway is very against an agreement over giving up Thursdays, if the alternative is losing multiple riders, can't see a suitable alternative. However you can be sure, the fixture list could be changed at short notice due to TV requirements or rained off meetings.

Maybe allow Prem matches on Mondays, Wednesdays & Thursdays?

At the end of the day as long as Poland pay more they can get away with it. British Speedway had the same attitude in the 70s & 80s.

• Like 2

Just to clarify, in case I missed anything in the translation. Is it just the top Polish division that want Thursdays?

It's only 2 meetings so it could be minimum affect  ? 

There is already an agreement with Poland for Thursday's in  Ekstraliga top league for rained off meetings in Poland so this would be as well has ? So you could have the 2 Ekstraliga 2 meetings and some rained off meetings from Ekstraliga 1 on a Thursday could get very messy ?