British Speedway Forum
Paulco

Berwick v Glasgow , BSN thingy , 6/4/24 @7pm

54 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

In days gone by Teams used to “ borrow” a home junior.Not Ideal but a solution to 4 rider heats.

Plenty of second half riders but all on smaller machines

1 hour ago, iainb said:

Why? If he'd been randomly tested at home the day before would Glasgow have had a facility? Will they be granted a facility next time they ride, or are they expected to ride with 6 for the rest of the season?

Not sure any other team sport wouldn't allow a replacement, would a football team be forced to field 10 players?

Because the team manager has confirmed that all riders are fit to ride? And so therefore has lied if he’s signed the form. If a rider 2nd in the averages that hated a particular away track tested positive, and was replaced with RR, the team would be better off, in what way is that fair to the complying team? There’s no easy answer, don’t get me wrong, but you can’t class it as an injury, or missing for riding for another team imo.

2 hours ago, allthegearbutnaeidea said:

But Glasgow, and obviously any other team who have a rider who fails a test trackside, deserve to be punished on the night. 

Isn’t it normal practice to suspend a rider or any other sportsperson until the outcome of the second test only then can any punishment be applied ? 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Cast1rn said:

I see the comparison, however the incident occurred off the track before the meeting had started. So using your football analogy the match wouldn't have started and a replacement to the starting 11 would be used.

The argument can go back and forward with what's the solution, take Boxers for example, they get tested any time and if caught a replacement can be brought in so the boxing fixture isn't cancelled.

The point I was trying to make earlier is the SCB are trying to run a professional anti doping scheme in an extremely amateur run sport.

If you and I get sick we go to boots and get stuff to make us feel better, we go to the doctor's or dentist and are prescribed medication we take it. WADA rules say this isn't allowed.

These aren't "elite athletes" they are brickys, roofers, factory workers who ride bikes with no breaks for 5 months of the year.

If they wanna play big boy/person/toaster  games then have random samples anytime 24/7,  365 days.

Prior to the test the selected party will be asked if they have taken any drugs within the last 48 hours, after their reply usually "No" they will be asked again but now they will be promted ti include perscription or over the counter drugs the reply again is usually "No" they will then be asked if they remember the last time they took any drugs & again prompted with for a headache or muscle strain or anything at all. So in all reality it matters not how professional or amateur the sport looks on the outside or what business the riders are in away from their racing. If it turns out to be an over the counter drug or perscribed then a severe slapped wrist is the likley outcome but if recreational drugs or alcohol are the cause then a ban is the result. I know the Glasgow promotion are not short of finances but are they willing to defend a 39 year old reserve through a case that will tarnish anybody involved.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, allthegearbutnaeidea said:

Because the team manager has confirmed that all riders are fit to ride? And so therefore has lied if he’s signed the form. If a rider 2nd in the averages that hated a particular away track tested positive, and was replaced with RR, the team would be better off, in what way is that fair to the complying team? There’s no easy answer, don’t get me wrong, but you can’t class it as an injury, or missing for riding for another team imo.

So, what happens if the match is rained off before it starts or is cancelled prior to heat 10? Are you suggesting that when it's re-staged that the team with the offending rider should only start with 6 and no facility? They may even have a completely different team with new signings, injuries etc. It seems to me that this is a glaring loophole that needs closing ASAP. At the end of the day it cheats the fans who have paid to watch 2 7 man teams in 15 races

Edited by iainb

1 hour ago, j2ohh said:

now then , now then , now then. bored are we  ? poo stirer .  please return to your own thread and stop stirring it up .

Doing your best Jimmy Savile impression there... you need to find a new hero :t:

• Haha 1

So what did we all think of the actual meeting.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, screm said:

Enjoyable meeting to be fair. Kerr was superb for the Bandits 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cast1rn said:

I see the comparison, however the incident occurred off the track before the meeting had started. So using your football analogy the match wouldn't have started and a replacement to the starting 11 would be used.

The argument can go back and forward with what's the solution, take Boxers for example, they get tested any time and if caught a replacement can be brought in so the boxing fixture isn't cancelled.

The point I was trying to make earlier is the SCB are trying to run a professional anti doping scheme in an extremely amateur run sport.

If you and I get sick we go to boots and get stuff to make us feel better, we go to the doctor's or dentist and are prescribed medication we take it. WADA rules say this isn't allowed.

These aren't "elite athletes" they are brickys, roofers, factory workers who ride bikes with no breaks for 5 months of the year.

If they wanna play big boy/person/toaster  games then have random samples anytime 24/7,  365 days.

The racing may not have started but the meeting started when the riders sign in , sports like football and athletics usually do the testing after the match or race has finished and they are suspended from the next match or whatever 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, iainb said:

You don't get red carded before a match starts though do you? 

From the laws of Football:    "A person can be sent off from the time the referee goes onto the pitch for the pre-match inspection until the referee leaves the pitch after the end of the game, including during half-time, the break before extra time, extra time, half-time of extra time and penalties."

So pretty much the same as speedway where the referee takes charge from the moment he arrives.  The referee was within his rights to exclude Complin from the meeting

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, RoundTheBoards said:

From the laws of Football:    "A person can be sent off from the time the referee goes onto the pitch for the pre-match inspection until the referee leaves the pitch after the end of the game, including during half-time, the break before extra time, extra time, half-time of extra time and penalties."

So pretty much the same as speedway where the referee takes charge from the moment he arrives.  The referee was within his rights to exclude Complin from the meeting

Good research, thanks... I don't doubt the ref carried out their duties to the letter of the law as it currently stands. The point is, should the rule be in the rule book in the first place? Obviously it's a matter of opinion, mine is that teams should be offered a facility to enable 4 riders to be called for every race.

11 minutes ago, DSC67 said:

The racing may not have started but the meeting started when the riders sign in , sports like football and athletics usually do the testing after the match or race has finished and they are suspended from the next match or whatever 

Speedway always used to test after meetings as well, I suppose the testing team are on double time at the time in the night so this is the cheaper option... but would you want somebody under the influence of vicks night nurse starting a speedway meeting?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Here is a download link to the rulebook, chapter 8 covers Anti Doping & Testing. Everything is covered in there.. It’s all in the rules and every rider & official knows the process and what happens next. It doesn’t matter what football does, speedway has its own rules but tests are conducted inline with WADA rules. 

http://www.scbgb.co.uk/download.php?view.11233

Edited by IanBrannan
  • Like 5

24 minutes ago, screm said:

Very good,refreshing to have a lot of new faces who look to be keen to impress.Heres hoping for a good season of racing.Track looks good.Not sure if the banking on 3rd/4th bend have been reduced slightly but it looks different and certainly seems to ride different.Just my thoughts.

2 minutes ago, IanBrannan said:

Here is a download link to the rulebook, chapter 8 covers Anti Doping & Testing. Everything is covered in there.. It’s all in the rules and every rider & official knows the process and what happens next. It doesn’t matter what football does, speedway has its own rules but tests are conducted inline with WADA rules. 

http://www.scbgb.co.uk/download.php?view.11233

Exactly