British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Skidder1

Ipswich v Poole; Supporters Cup; Thurs 16/05/19

3 minutes ago, ray c said:

zmarzlik also races Denmark 

OMG, he races for 3 teams, what a farce! lol

"Offical relates to an authority or public body and its activities and responsibilities"

So if it's not official then it has to be run as an amateur meeting or practice... and for that they cannot charge admission. Remember what we told about press and practice..?

So if it's free I'm there ... if not, I'll be giving it a miss. Too many times the fans are taken for mugs. Ive had enough.  It may only be me but thats my stance..... 

Same goes for tv match... I'm not paying £18 for something I can watch for free at home. So that will be £54 saved in a week for me..... might see me in June.

1 hour ago, mikebv said:

You go where the money is Phil..

You cannot play poker when you are only holding one card..

And that is the 'hand' the BSPA has in the grand scheme of things.

Exactly why therefore they should just cut adrift and do their own thing..

With whichever riders can commit to being at every event..

With all events planned on the nights each individual club feel they can attract the best crowds..

Arch Stanton in his reply to me is very much one of a reducing number. ie those who will still collude with promoters that what they are watching is 'real regardless of how contrived it is..

So try and run it with credibility on nights when people can/want to attend, before its tipping point for survival has been reached..

Well then it’s a crying shame there aren’t far more people like me then isn’t it. The sport would be much better off. 

I wont let a rider missing here or there or rules being tinkered with that to us outsiders, make little sense, put me off going to support my local Speedway team.  Others feel differently, that’s their prerogative of course.

Theres ALWAYS been all sorts of shenanigans going on in Speedway as far back as I remember, even in the “glory days” of the 70’s and 80’s!

Some of them far far Dodgier than what goes on today. 

Edited by Arch Stanton
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, mikebv said:

You go where the money is Phil..

You cannot play poker when you are only holding one card..

And that is the 'hand' the BSPA has in the grand scheme of things.

Exactly why therefore they should just cut adrift and do their own thing..

With whichever riders can commit to being at every event..

With all events planned on the nights each individual club feel they can attract the best crowds..

Arch Stanton in his reply to me is very much one of a reducing number. ie those who will still collude with promoters that what they are watching is 'real regardless of how contrived it is..

So try and run it with credibility on nights when people can/want to attend, before its tipping point for survival has been reached..

Not withstanding the availability of the stadium which might dictate the day that speedway can be run!?

1 hour ago, Trees said:

OMG, he races for 3 teams, what a farce! lol

The HUGE difference is of course that he doesn't ride for three teams in the SAME league...

Like British Speedway allows...

In fact they allow riders to ride for EVERY team in the same league..

And Chris Harris, Scott Nicholls and Rory Schlein in particular seem to do their level best every year to achieve this feat. .:D

Riders should be allowed to ride for as many teams globally and domestically as they want and can, if that is the only way they can make a living, however, it should simply be for ONE team only in each League..

Otherwise it means the Leagues themselves have no integrity, no credibility and ultimately therefore no relevance..

And if the Leagues have no relevance,  why bother to attend?

Poland and Sweden allows riders to domestically ride for more than one club but never in the same League. .

Meaning their Leagues do have integrity, credibility and relevance..

They also have decent National media coverage, National companies sponsoring their clubs, and very decent fan bases..

(I wonder if those things are linked?):rolleyes:

I would suggest that if they ran the British Speedway operating model they would have none of the three positive attributes above..

In fact, just like British Speedway...

It's 2019, we live in a 24 hours non stop media age...

What you could get away even 20 years ago, never mind 50, you now can't...

Time to do it properly or not bother at all I would say, it's current operating model isn't fit for purpose now, and definitely isn't fit for the future...

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Personally as there are fans that go to support the team of 7 riders ( whoever they are) no matter what the rules and regulations are the real issue. Too many go as what is the other option ? No speedway? Speedway is not a professional sport. It's a boys club run by rich businessmen. It needs an individual to take it out of the gutter and have a plan for the future. No self interest between different clubs, where some rules help a certain team. A 'you stratch my back scenario .....'

People might not like what Buster Chapman is doing but if he were in control of all the toys in the pram then the sport would imo go forward. Maybe not today but certainly in the future. What's the harm in trying? His 3 teams this year, in matching suits and bike covers look awesome and wouldn't look out of place in Poland. Get all the teams kitted out the same... if a rider says no then bye bye....

Ipswich probably get 1000 on a bad day.... thats enough lemmings to keep the club in business. And why they try and do more when there's no need to make an effort?  But look at bank holiday Monday.. there was 3500+ there. That's what clubs should be aiming at more regularly but why were they there? They wouldn't come back if they knew the real rules of a joke sport that is speedway. They were there as a one off... Red and Blue  VS White and Yellow. But once they got into it and found out that riders weren't attached to clubs they would laugh and walk away. Any newbie watching BT 1st match was told that Brady Kurtz rode for his team on Easter monday but then rode for a different club at night.... wow.. that's ermmmm weird! But why ? Well it's speedway... it happens here.....

Oh well rant over....

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 2ndbendbeerhut said:

Personally as there are fans that go to support the team of 7 riders ( whoever they are) no matter what the rules and regulations are the real issue. Too many go as what is the other option ? No speedway? Speedway is not a professional sport. It's a boys club run by rich businessmen. It needs an individual to take it out of the gutter and have a plan for the future. No self interest between different clubs, where some rules help a certain team. A 'you stratch my back scenario .....'

People might not like what Buster Chapman is doing but if he were in control of all the toys in the pram then the sport would imo go forward. Maybe not today but certainly in the future. What's the harm in trying? His 3 teams this year, in matching suits and bike covers look awesome and wouldn't look out of place in Poland. Get all the teams kitted out the same... if a rider says no then bye bye....

Ipswich probably get 1000 on a bad day.... thats enough lemmings to keep the club in business. And why they try and do more when there's no need to make an effort?  But look at bank holiday Monday.. there was 3500+ there. That's what clubs should be aiming at more regularly but why were they there? They wouldn't come back if they knew the real rules of a joke sport that is speedway. They were there as a one off... Red and Blue  VS White and Yellow. But once they got into it and found out that riders weren't attached to clubs they would laugh and walk away. Any newbie watching BT 1st match was told that Brady Kurtz rode for his team on Easter monday but then rode for a different club at night.... wow.. that's ermmmm weird! But why ? Well it's speedway... it happens here.....

Oh well rant over....

Buster's decision to finance 3 Premiership clubs was to ensure that there was a Premiership as the sport moves towards the end of the current BT Sports contract and - as was announced at the time - implored all the 7 clubs to work to their own minimum 'break-even' budgets in order that there are no more 'financial casualties' at the end of this season.  Every club will have its own budget suited to their own very localised situation with varying sponsorship, costs and attendances in order to remain solvent this year.

If it means that a one league structure is the short term future so be it - although not sure what level the sport would be at in that scenario?!

I find it tiresome when people keep referring to Poland as the model to aspire to.  Thirty plus years ago they had nowhere near the number of supposed high class foreigners in their leagues as they do now but still got huge crowds, suggesting that fans there support the sport, not the perceived level of rider.  Germany can also get sizeable attendances.  The reasons for this are not simply down to the racing on offer but encompass many other factors including other leisure-time options and historical support levels. 

However, I'm not over there I'm here and will continue to support British speedway and team speedway in general.  I've watched several Polish meetings, they are just as varied as ours in terms of the racing itself and because I have no affinity with the teams I find it quite dull.  I can also take or leave the GPs, because I don't support any particular rider in the series so couldn't really care less who wins.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

I find it tiresome when people keep referring to Poland as the model to aspire to.  Thirty plus years ago they had nowhere near the number of supposed high class foreigners in their leagues as they do now but still got huge crowds, suggesting that fans there support the sport, not the perceived level of rider.  Germany can also get sizeable attendances.  The reasons for this are not simply down to the racing on offer but encompass many other factors including other leisure-time options and historical support levels. 

However, I'm not over there I'm here and will continue to support British speedway and team speedway in general.  I've watched several Polish meetings, they are just as varied as ours in terms of the racing itself and because I have no affinity with the teams I find it quite dull.  I can also take or leave the GPs, because I don't support any particular rider in the series so couldn't really care less who wins.

Having lost my team some 14 years ago, it's far easier to watch the sport without any emotional attachment. I couldn't care less who wins as long as the track is well prepared and i get to see some decent racing. As for the rule bending and other farces that appear almost on a weekly basis, well i just take it on the chin. Surely there isn't anyone left that takes the sport seriously.

• Like 1

Anyway, back to this meeting. 

An official top flight meeting or not I will be there unless unforseen circumstances arise. 

The enforced guests for Poole definitely makes them stronger especially around Foxhall as the missing riders are 1 in form but never really shown it at Ipswich before and a gating tart who either wins or does nothing. 

On the subject of supporters not attending because of changes etc I'm more interested to know what the promotion are going to do to encourage a decent crowd for the televised meeting on Monday. 

Apparently Swindon did an offer of a BOGOF entry for theirs and if the Witches don't do something similar or maybe a tenner I'm very tempted to save £18 and watch it on the box. 

I'm sure they will do what they used to do when on TV,,,,, nothing.  It will look like the old days of one man and his dog. 

I think the crowd will be lower tomorrow to,,, so if it was my club I would be doing a turn up Thursday to get a voucher/match ticket,, and get in Monday for half price or tenner on the showing of that ticket. 

Add to that I would also be giving out free noise making implements to be used on Monday 

Edited by Baldyman
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

I'm sure they will do what they used to do when on TV,,,,, nothing.  It will look like the old days of one man and his dog. 

I think the crowd will be lower tomorrow to,,, so if it was my club I would be doing a turn up Thursday to get a voucher/match ticket,, and get in Monday for half price or tenner on the showing of that ticket. 

Add to that I would also be giving out free noise making implements to be used on Monday 

Spot on Baldy :t: Even a dozen air horns would make fair bit of noise and wouldn't break the bank.

Edited by Bald Bloke

1 hour ago, Skidder1 said:

If it means that a one league structure is the short term future so be it - although not sure what level the sport would be at in that scenario?!

I think that a one league UK speedway sport is much more likely to generate more footfall on the terraces. It may need to be a different structure of who races who in the match format  ( to make it genuinely competitive )

But even in a one league UK scenario. the product ie racing needs to be drastically addressed if it is to attract lost supporters ( those still living ) and a new generation of supporters. New supporters are unlikely to put up with around only 3 out of 15 races having any interest for spectators ( after the second bend first time around ).

54 minutes ago, Bald Bloke said:

Spot on Baldy :t: Even a dozen air horns would make fair bit of noise and wouldn't break the bank.

Sadly air horn bann at foxhall,  however our very own massif have circumvented that :rofl: