British Speedway Forum

4 hours ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

Still cant find any clues out there as to who our number 7 May be, considering Mulford & Ablitt only seem the realistic options for the berth with what we believe is left to keep us in the points limit.

I noted Skidders comment regarding a non reliable source had mentioned maybe an approach for Ablitt, but bearing in mind many of us worked out the other 6, I thought the number 7 would have been sorted or worked out for sure by now. Also bearing in mind they are the only 2 left from what is available that may stand a chance of staying on the same lap as the established riders with most of the other most promising 2 pointers have already been signed.

Does JPB  come in on a 3 

21 minutes ago, mac101 said:

Does JPB  come in on a 3 

2.21 according to bspl site from his Newcastle spell

On 1/1/2022 at 7:31 PM, corfe pirate said:

Yes great news! It's a delivery of fresh shale for the new season.

The size of his truck is about right for the shale required at Wimborne Road ;)

• Sad 2

11 minutes ago, Roger Jacobs said:

The size of his truck is about right for the shale required at Wimborne Road ;)

You may need more shale than last season when you make the track bigger to accommodate the soccer pitch,allegedly this is what's being planned 

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, lewy said:

You may need more shale than last season when you make the track bigger to accommodate the soccer pitch,allegedly this is what's being planned 

so how it was in 80s?

10 hours ago, lewy said:

Best thing that could happen, football is happy, the speedway is happy, everyone is happy 

• Like 1

Looking at what is likely to be the make up of the team with on weak reserve and an average reserve, this will put a lot of pressure on the rest of the team to perform at their best all the time. Personally I don't like it, Kemp is not as good as Hume and nowhere near Basso, Kemp would be ok as the weaker reserve but not as the stronger reserve.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, foreverblue said:

Looking at what is likely to be the make up of the team with on weak reserve and an average reserve, this will put a lot of pressure on the rest of the team to perform at their best all the time. Personally I don't like it, Kemp is not as good as Hume and nowhere near Basso, Kemp would be ok as the weaker reserve but not as the stronger reserve.  

A few well respected pundits north of the border plus some Edinburgh fans would have liked to see Drew stay with the Monarchs, so you may be surprised. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SharpenRake said:

A few well respected pundits north of the border plus some Edinburgh fans would have liked to see Drew stay with the Monarchs, so you may be surprised. 

That doesn't surprise me, he has potential but as the stronger reserve I think he may struggle as he will be expected to perform like Basso or Stefan Neilsen and that is not going to happen. 

2 hours ago, foreverblue said:

Have to remember this is part of a plan B after Basso pulled out and upset them big time.

Think they already decided on 3 H/L after last season and that alone meant after Basso saga they would have to do a reshuffle further down. Think they had already commited to both of the Cook's so it really did reduce options at reserve.

Think Kemp deserves a chance. Wolves have signed him in Prem so must see something and he is going to be getting regular racing experience at UK top level besides riding at Poole. Also riding in POL so will be riding lots. He also scored decent at Poole last season. For me getting 3-3 or 2-4 in the reserve races won't be a disaster, as don't expect much in return from the number 7 whoever he is.

To a degree there will be more pressure as we won't have a Basso to cover other riders not doing well in the meeting, but something had to give anyway, as even if we had signed Basso we still would have had a points limit situation facing Poole in the lower 1/2 berths.

For me top 4/6 is the target initially and situation can always be reviewed as the season develops.

1 hour ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

Have to remember this is part of a plan B after Basso pulled out and upset them big time.

Think they already decided on 3 H/L after last season and that alone meant after Basso saga they would have to do a reshuffle further down. Think they had already commited to both of the Cook's so it really did reduce options at reserve.

Think Kemp deserves a chance. Wolves have signed him in Prem so must see something and he is going to be getting regular racing experience at UK top level besides riding at Poole. Also riding in POL so will be riding lots. He also scored decent at Poole last season. For me getting 3-3 or 2-4 in the reserve races won't be a disaster, as don't expect much in return from the number 7 whoever he is.

To a degree there will be more pressure as we won't have a Basso to cover other riders not doing well in the meeting, but something had to give anyway, as even if we had signed Basso we still would have had a points limit situation facing Poole in the lower 1/2 berths.

For me top 4/6 is the target initially and situation can always be reviewed as the season develops.

Can’t agree Lawson was in their thoughts initially as if he was nobody had told Plymouth. We can't blame Basso, the management wrongly assumed he would be in the team and he chose Glasgow, our management always seem to think if we offer a place to a rider he won't turn us down . I agree Kemp deserves a place but not as the stronger reserve.With Basso in the team you wouldn't need Lawson so you could build more strength in depth. I think there will be changes mid season or we won't make the playoffs. 

4 hours ago, foreverblue said:

Unfortunately that's the flip side of signing three number ones. For me Kemp has more natural ability and potential than Hume and possibly Nielsen but he needs to start fulfilling it, moving to Wolves and Poole might be the catalyst he needs. I actually think the Cooks look more vulnerable than the reserves, a lot of pressure on them as second strings. I expect changes will be made during during the season as often happens but on paper this ain't a league winning team 

• Like 2

I'm not sure about Kemp. When he started he looked like the next British superstar & at 15/16 he was head & shoulders above those of the same age range. As he has got older his progress has slowed & in my opinion last season went backwards. I wonder if he has reached his potential & now is in a position where he is beaten before the tapes rise. This season at Wolves he will be with one of his biggest rivals in Leon Flint so maybe they can draw the best out of each other.

• Like 1

I'll say it again - its not how you start its how you finish!!  We didn't get Basso til end August in 2021 but still did pretty well prior to that.

I would wager that the Fords have their eye on someone similar to bring in if required mid-season - in any case it keeps the starting 1-7 on their toes - whoever they maybe?;):t:

• Like 1