British Speedway Forum
paul84

The 2009 Premier League Riders' Championship

Would he have won it anywhere else?

He would have a cracking chance at Berwick in my opinion.

Anyway, a really enjoyable meeting despite Michal having an absolute nightmare of a meeting start to finish, nothing went right from him but he will bounce back.

Well done to Ricky Ashworth with a superb performance and fully deserved the victory, atmosphere was superb as usual and this is the home if the PLRC and in my opinion should be back at Sheffield next year for sure. Ward, Proctor, Lawson, Howe, Frampton and Larsen were all good value. Nice to see everyone was again to.

I wonder if SKJ has got his voice back after the final :lol: .

How long is a speedway meeting?

Having witnessed yesterday’s PLRC at Sheffield, I would have to say exactly one hour too long.

Let’s see, there were 22 races, and they would last say, 30 minutes. That leaves two and a half hours of staring at the advertising hoardings on the opposite side of the track – and there were only minor hold ups for a couple of accidents.

I am 56 years old, not ancient, but at a stadium with no seating, even I am struggling to stand up for three hours non-stop.

The time gap between the last race and the first semi-final was ludicrous and without any justification whatsoever. I didn’t time it but it felt like half an hour, and just when there appeared to be a chance of some action, we are then treated to the time wasting spectacle of the choosing of gate positions and riders indulging in the 100% pointless practice of ‘gardening’ by the gate.

Choosing gate positions may be have some entertainment value on TV at the GP’s, but the vast majority of fans at Owlerton yesterday couldn’t see what was going on, so what was the point.

Meetings such as this which are laboured and dragged out way beyond their natural length, only succeed in evaporating, and then killing stone dead the momentum and the excitement that should be a constant in any speedway meeting.

There could, of course, be cynical reasons, god forbid. The longer people are there, the more they will spend at the bar etc. Hope I’m wrong on that one.

In my view a sporting event should be done and dusted in two hours

Meetings like this really need to be drastically tightened up with a two hour(ish) time limit imposed on them (barring hold ups caused by serious accidents of course).

PS Well done Ricky Ashworth

first massive congrats to ricky on a fantastic performance to beat some top riders out there,riders who get good scores in the elite league also which makes me frustrated at seeing a typical example of a british rider being overlooked and not backed by certain people in the sport,before the meeting most not seeing him finishing top three then he wins and suddenly he wins because they say he has home advantage ,once again well deserved rick you did us proud.

maybe he wasn't seen as a top 3 or 4 because he isn't that good!!! People try to be positive and not think about it too much, but instances like this should make it crystal clear how huge an advantage it can be to a rider. (home ground advantage) Home riders should start with between 2-4 points negetive and then it would be more a level playing field. If that was the case Ward would have had gate choice at least and the final would have probably been a different story.

Nice to put faces to Silver Bee and SCB, even though I don't think they really knew who I was

For the record, we've always had faces :P And I knew who you were, but when you I was supporting anyone but Ward, I doubt I was endearing myself to you Lynn lot B)

Not that good really, don't know why yet again it failed to deliver, especially when it was a wide open field (except for Chris Neath)

Jordan did better than expected so well done to him, gave me something to cheer about with a disappointing effort from the Fish.

Shame Kenni Larsen couldn't make the semi either :(

Thanks to all who took part for your contribution to my pension fund :approve:

Where do I start? ..... It's full of Brummies for one

How the hell did you miss him?!! :blink:

Sheffield is a pretty good stadium, although the car park is a nightmare to get out of, took us almost fifteen minutes!!

Obviously never attended a big meeting at Coventry or Arena or a race meeting at Donington or Silverstone!! Now those are nightmare car parks

Well done Ricky Ashworth!

Also a well done to Andre Compton he done well to get in the Semi final after his late call up.

Where the bloody hell were you?! Sorry I never text to ask where you were, but I got so engrossed with things I just stayed on the 4th bend. Sorry I never found you either Drac!

Was on 1st bend with the real speedway fans (eg, Drac and co.) :wink:

I think my ears have just about stopped ringing.

Redcar fans are the future :approve:

Was bound to happen that the moaners would start shouting about home track advantage . For what it's worth , Ricky deserved his win as he was just about the best rider on the day . Didn't expect much from William beforehand , so i was delighted with how well he done . Outscoring Fisher comfortably as well :approve:

well done to Ricky, I had a hunch when i saw him for the tigers at newport that he was running into some form - there isnt a neutral track in the country so sheffield is fine by me, perhaps rotating it with say birmingham might be an idea tho?

well done again Ricky a rider whose exciting style i like and i wouldn't mind coming to the wasps :lol:

Edited by longlivefrankie

At the end of the day it's not his fault where its held, and he still had to go out there and do the business with a lot of pressure on his shoulders.

At the end of the day it's not his fault where its held, and he still had to go out there and do the business with a lot of pressure on his shoulders.

So fair play.