British Speedway Forum
stratton

All Time Favourite Tracks?

10 minutes ago, chunky said:

The Boulevard at Hull was the one that scared me because of how narrow it was!

That was one track I never got to although I have DVDs of action there. Of course there was the infamous occasion that John Berry and Ron Bagley took a tape measure out to measure the width which caused all sorts of aggro and led to a hearing at the offices of the Control Board (?) in London which home promoter Ian Thomas never turned up to. Thomas later admitted that he had a specially "adapted" tape measure with the first foot or two cut off so that to anyone else the track was of the required width!

Edited by steve roberts

8 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

That was one track I never got to although I have DVDs of action there. Of course there was the infamous occasion that John Berry and Ron Bagley took a tape measure out to measure the width which caused all sorts of aggro and led to a hearing at the offices of the Control Board (?) in London which home promoter Ian Thomas never turned up to. Thomas later admitted that he had a specially "adapted" tape measure with the first foot or two cut off so that to anyone else the track was of the required width!

I only went there once, on Royal Wedding Day in 1981. Simmons and Anderson Eriksson got a last heat 5-1 over Joe Owen and Billy Sanders to a draw!

Went to the Boulevard once also. Briggo's Farewell meeting. The only time, as far as i knw that i saw Ove Fundin ride. Track was fairly wet from memory. So difficult to make a real judgment

1 hour ago, The Third Man said:

Hyde Road & Halifax

Visited the Shay a few years back long after the speedway had gone. Found it difficult visualising where the track was but I believe the pit area was still in situ?

Exeter.  The first track I ever watched speedway at & going was a treat to look forward to when ever I was back in England visiting family.

Redcar second because I've been made very welcome there since I go back into speedway and did get to enjoy some great racing there last season.

Crayford - you never forget your first love/track

Hackney

Cradley Heath

Only went to Ashby Ville Scunthorpe a couple of times but seem to remember saw two cracking meetings there

Never liked Wimbledon although to be fair, most times I went were in the latter NL days when the track was as slick as hell

12 minutes ago, andout said:

New Cross, West Ham and Hyde Road.

Two tracks I would dearly liked to have seen!

28 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Between the two, it was really from the smallest to one of the largest, both gave great racing but because New Cross was so small it always looked like close racing.

Craven and Young were fantastic there!

Edited by andout
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, andout said:

New Cross, West Ham and Hyde Road.

Briggo said his favourite track was West Ham “ So fast and wide you could pass anywhere’ . I am not going to argue with him !

On 1/14/2023 at 7:16 PM, E I Addio said:

Briggo said his favourite track was West Ham “ So fast and wide you could pass anywhere’ . I am not going to argue with him !

Malcolm Simmons was another who favoured West Ham.

On 1/14/2023 at 6:20 PM, steve roberts said:

My two home tracks, Steve.

• Like 1

On 1/14/2023 at 7:16 PM, E I Addio said:

This was indeed Briggo's view. Bjorn Knutson, on the other hand, thought the quickest way round Custom House was the inside. To settle the matter they had a match race one evening with Bjorn off gate one and Briggo off gate three. Almost as soon as they started they swapped positions with Bjorn going round the outside of Briggo on the first two bends. The race was won by Bjorn, thus proving Briggo right!

• Like 1