British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
WembleyLion

Ben Fund Meeting - Berwick - Saturday 9 March 2013 6.30pm

What time do the gates open ?Know it says starts 6 30 i presume its 5 00 and theres no footy on

What time do the gates open ?Know it says starts 6 30 i presume its 5 00 and theres no footy on

Football team website has them playing Montrose with a 2pm start

There can be as many posts as you want about which riders are riding where over this weekend but for me the big question that needs answering is WHY HOLD THIS AT BERWICK ?

Still shaking my head in disbelief at this one :o

• Like 4

This meeting, which raises funds for seriously injured riders, is now the traditional opener for the British Speedway season, and Berwick follows previous stagings at Sheffield, Rye House, Scunthorpe and Birmingham. Organiser Paul Ackroyd gives very careful consideration to choosing the venue each year.

He says "We need to move the meeting round the country, and it's only fair that the northern supporters get a chance to see the meeting.

"Berwick have always had good track collections for the Ben Fund, in fact they have been the highest for the last three years, so obviously the people there are keen to support the Ben Fund.

"With the air fence, and the stadium the way it is now, the improvements that have been made make it an ideal venue and opportunity for us to have the meeting there

To those who wonder why the meeting is being held at Berwick. ;)

• Like 2

Just about par for the course for that particular person , he's a well known numpty

This meeting, which raises funds for seriously injured riders, is now the traditional opener for the British Speedway season, and Berwick follows previous stagings at Sheffield, Rye House, Scunthorpe and Birmingham. Organiser Paul Ackroyd gives very careful consideration to choosing the venue each year.

He says "We need to move the meeting round the country, and it's only fair that the northern supporters get a chance to see the meeting.

"Berwick have always had good track collections for the Ben Fund, in fact they have been the highest for the last three years, so obviously the people there are keen to support the Ben Fund.

"With the air fence, and the stadium the way it is now, the improvements that have been made make it an ideal venue and opportunity for us to have the meeting there

To those who wonder why the meeting is being held at Berwick. ;)

Good post. I think there's only one Elitist prock* who wondered why. One who seems to think all speedway should be held in his West Midland backyard. Doesn't seem to have contributed further since his last post, though.

* possible spelling error

Have to agree, but I do think the poster is on the wind- up to be honest.

The likes of yourself and Glasgow fans,and fans from other clubs north of Scunthorpe have supported this event with your presence over the years and travelled miles to watch the event, why should the more Northern club be given a chance not to travel 100's of miles for a change.

I don't think it matters if its Chris Holder or Chris Schramm who rides in the meeting, its a chance for fans to get together to raise money for riders who have suffered serious injuries or life changing injuries.

• Like 5

There is football. But it is listed for 2pm so should end before 4pm. Sure I read somewhere they did not want any speedway traffic coming in until 4pm

Well I'm looking forward to my first visit to Shielfield Park, hope the weather holds. Berwick have as much right to hold the meeting as any other track in the country. Now what are the Burgers/Chips etc like? :lol:

Edited by Marcelle

There is football. But it is listed for 2pm so should end before 4pm. Sure I read somewhere they did not want any speedway traffic coming in until 4pm Cheers

Well I'm looking forward to my first visit to Shielfield Park, hope the weather holds. Berwick have as much right to hold the meeting as any other track in the country. Now what are the Burgers/Chips etc like? :lol:

THE BEST you will not be dissappointed

Has anyone got the line-up in riding order? Many thanks :)

It's OK, they'll sell you an excellent programme. All proceeds go to the BenFund.

It's OK, they'll sell you an excellent programme. All proceeds go to the BenFund.

I want it to set the updates page up, but if no-one knows it looks like I'll have to add the line-up on Saturday. Not long now!

Forecast says rain Friday and Saturday, hope it does not spoil the meeting, looking forward to this one.

Marcelle

I like the burgers at Berwick but the hidden food gem hides on the fourth turn.... the pie shop. The pies are worth the trip alone.

Not sure if the pie shop will be there this season... fingers crossed.

• Like 2