British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

Hancock And Gollob When Will They Retire ?

With them both well into their 40`s wonder if this might be their swansong season ?

Certainly Greg isn`t short of a few bob-whereas Tomas after a costly divorce and court fine might not be in the same position.

Are they likely to retire at the same time-or one of them carry on racing longer ?

Thoughts ?

The way I see it if there is to be an American Gp next year Greg has to carry on and for ticket sales they need Greg so if there isn't American GP next year I can't see it happening , they just need Greg before he retires , As for Gollob and Nicki is approaching the same stage Aj is another will any of them win Gold ? But then the next question who outside the GPS would we want to see take there places ?

A sad day when they do, Gollob a fantastic racer, one race in Parken in particular with Zagar i think was superb, as for Hankock he has been a great ambassador for the sport and no one can beat his GP record, oh and a gentleman.

• Like 1

With them both well into their 40`s wonder if this might be their swansong season ?

Certainly Greg isn`t short of a few bob-whereas Tomas after a costly divorce and court fine might not be in the same position.

Are they likely to retire at the same time-or one of them carry on racing longer ?

Thoughts ?

While Greg has had a great GP career and cannot be dismissed lightly in any GP race.but,he has been passed more times this season after gating than in his whole GP career .The Young Guns are coming through and you cannot see him being Top Dog again.

Gollob as looked like he has lost the hunger and desire (although somehow managed to reach the finals at the weekend). I do think this should be Gollob's last season so we can remember him for the racer he was. I was there at Hackney when Boyce punched him, and I never thought he would be around all these years later.

I will be really sad when BOTH of the stalwarts of our Sport throw in the towel. They have both been great servants to Speedway and I hope that they carry on for a while yet..

Edited by The White Knight

THE big question is what else would they do? Cannot see Gollob going into media, for example, and both he and Greg genuinely love riding bikes. Would they get wild card picks if outside the top eight?

I don't think they would get a pick now. I think when they slip out of the top 8 is when they will retire in all honesty.

As long as Hancock is still compeditive at GP level,and he he is,then why give up.He should still qualify in the top eight for next year and has shown he`s capable of getting into Finals.

As for Gollob,he`s still capable of a great ride,but unlike Hancock I think he`s lost his consistant level of performance.Seems to be spending quite a bit of free time doing Moto-X,I wonder if something like the Paris-Dakar rally would interest him.

As long as Hancock is still compeditive at GP level,and he he is,then why give up.He should still qualify in the top eight for next year and has shown he`s capable of getting into Finals.

As for Gollob,he`s still capable of a great ride,but unlike Hancock I think he`s lost his consistant level of performance.Seems to be spending quite a bit of free time doing Moto-X,I wonder if something like the Paris-Dakar rally would interest him.

He'd have to be seriously bonkers to try that for the first time at his age.

For me.... Gollob this season and Hancock next season, rather both go out now, before the performances dwindle.

Probably when they don't make the top 8...

Gollob loves motocross it is where he started and had considerable success as a junior before venturing into speedway he does a lot of motocross these days financially he is well off money he made in speedway is unheard off in most sports in Poland not to mention general population I still think he will be connected to speedway in some form when he retires. He is Gollob motocross from this year

Edited by pawel115
  • Like 1

both great riders and great servants but neither should get a widcard if they drop out of the top 8 in my opinion....as long as they are in the top 8 they should carry on for as long as they want and as long as they feel competitive, although i must say that both seem to have lost a little bit of edge recently which is hardly a surprise at 40 plus...it is amazing they have stayed as competitive as they have at their age.

Not sure i can see either carrying on purely as a league rider without GP's as well

Can't imagine GPs without Tomas.

Doesn't even bear thinking about.

Need to go and lie down in a dark room now.

• Like 1