British Speedway Forum

Nobody 'loses' the title till they have won it, Ian. Playoffs are exciting, and in line with what other sports are also doing because of the interest that they create.

Precisely. Everyone knows the rules from day one. And the play-offs are more exiciting, contrast Glasgow's stroll to the title in 2011 with the 2012 Premier League title which Scunthorpe won on the final lap of the final race.

TWK, I know you're old school. Under the old two points for a win and one point for a draw, the 2012 table would have been: Somerset 31, Scunthorpe 31,Workington 30, Leicester 30, Newcastle 29.

All the best

Rob

Nobody 'loses' the title till they have won it, Ian. Playoffs are exciting, and in line with what other sports are also doing because of the interest that they create.

Nonsense, other sports only do it because Sky tell them to. The biggest sport in the world does not use play offs to decide domestic lge champions, because its a farce.

Correction Newcastle cost themselves the title last year by Picking Somerset in their group and not Edinburgh.

would'nt agree with that,,, IMO, Newcastle cost themselves the title by 'not' replacing Steve Worrall', out with a broken leg, !!!

its not like Somerset won it anyway,,,

Edited by ruffdiamond

So if Newcastle win the Play offs this year....

it will be 'just reward',,, undeservedly, of course,,, so why win all the time ? ,,, just try a bit harder when it matters

Cost Newcastle the Title last Season Dave - I agree they are exciting - but - the 'Play Off' Champions were most definitely NOT the League Champions. A Champions Cup at the end of the Season would be just as exciting and the Team that won that Competition would be the Premier League Champions Cup Winner. A League Championship is won over a whole Season - to say anything else is illogical.

Because other Sports do it does not mean that we have to demean OUR Sport by doing the same thing.

Double Points, Play Offs - no the wonder folk are deserting Speedway in their droves.

But Speedway gates are up this season

I would seed the league winners direct to the play off final and let the others scrap it out to face them.

• Like 1

I would seed the league winners direct to the play off final and let the others scrap it out to face them.

Id say thats a good call from a competition perspective.

However the winners miss out on potential bumper crowds for the semi finals.

Id say thats a good call from a competition perspective.

However the winners miss out on potential bumper crowds for the semi finals.

tell worky and Edinburgh that :)

Would be a much fairer system on the team that wins the League, I agree.

For what it's worth and the team that wins the league, they should have no problems winning a few more meetings to win the play offs too.

TWK, it's not the play offs that are killing speedways credibility and sending fans packing.

The problems leading to fans apathy are more ingrained and long term, they have been discussed to death on here. ;)

no its not.

I know you like to be pedantically correct and a con is defined as

"persuade (someone) to do or believe something by lying to them:"

There is no lying - it is NOT a con. Its a set up that you dont like but we know before the season starts its happening so its not a con

That's where you are wrong - THERE IS A LIE. The LIE is that the Play Off Winners are League Champions - how can you call them League Champions if they didn't win the League. Bloody crackers if you ask me!!

As you say in your last sentence Lioness - it IS a SETUP. I couldn't have put it better myself. :t::approve: :approve:

Oh - and if Newcastle DON'T win the League but DO win the Play Offs - they are NOT as far as I am concerned League Champions - they are Play Off winners in my book. Whoever win the League over the Season deserve to be called Champions. (This is to answer someone who asked what I would think about Newcastle winning the Play Offs - now you know).

Edited by The White Knight
  • Like 2

Looks as if the top 6 are done and dusted-but who finishes 1st and 2nd might not be sorted until 23rd/24th matches-Newcastle look favourites to me-just because of the home matches left.

But Speedway gates are up this season

Who says? What proof?