British Speedway Forum
topaz325

Richie Worrall (the Future Of Speedway)

when i started watching Teesside in 1968 i don't believe any of the riders were full time - when did this happen?

crowds of 500 can not fund full time wages

It maybe could if you charge the crowd around £30.00......

The problem is the vast majority of those who no longer go only feel the sport is worth about a tenner...

My team 'allegedly' pay their Number One 3k a meeting. 'If true' (and around £200 a point does appear to be the going rate for a No1 if you read comments from those 'in the know') then that means that to pay him for a home and an away meeting they need to take £7200 (inc vat) to pay him the 6k.....

That is over 411 full paying adults at £17.50 per meeting just to pay his salary...

Utterly ridiculous when you consider that the No1 rider from any team wouldn't lose 411 off the gate if he didn't ride, nor add 411 extra to it when he does...

As no one seems to know exactly the attendances at tracks due to the 'omerta' of the promoters I can only guess at the attendance at my track, however I would suggest 411 paying punters is (at least) over 50% of the total who attend..

Doesn't leave much left over to pay the other six riders for two meetings a week does it??

Barmy...... :o

• Like 4

Maybe he should tell his income and outlay for the season ,then we could feel sorry for him.Probably more than most fans 9-5 job 5 days a week.

His Development has stood still but its boggling how he isnt in the draft when Auty and the likes are...

His Development has stood still but its boggling how he isnt in the draft when Auty and the likes are...

I couldn't agree more. Perhaps they considered him too good for the Draft......

I couldn't agree more. Perhaps they considered him too good for the Draft......

Or when they did the draft in November(?) they/he assumed he'd get an EL place.

Or when they did the draft in November(?) they/he assumed he'd get an EL place.

Mmmmm possibly - I hadn't thought of that.

You should never assume anything though - certainly not in Speedway.

Doubling up should be for Brits only. If you're not British you ride PL or EL simple. Any Brits stepping up to the EL for the first time should do so on a three point average if they aren't in the draft, not a converted PL figure. This promotes the use of British riders. Again, simple.

These things shouldn't be done to pander to Brits, they should be done as something of a selfish move to help our riders progress first and foremost and improve British Speedway as a whole in the process.

100% agree.

To be fair he says he doesn't think he would want to ride in the EL at reserve for £50 or £60'a point racing against guys on £130 or £140 a point when he has the same equipment costs. That is a fair comment. He also makes the cogent point that what the promoters are saving in EDL riders wages they possibly are losing to falling crowd numbers.

Another good point he makes is that the Fast Track should be for the PL. However the PL promoters have absolutely no interest in anything outside their own little worlds and are more than happy with the current rent-a- foreigner scheme.mtherein lies the problem.

The problem of riders like Richie, Ben Barker etc has to addressed because it's clear they are making no progress in the PL and need something better than the EDR scheme to kick start their careers.

• Like 1

In any sport if you don't better and don't make the next level your unlikely to get much reward .

The problem of riders like Richie, Ben Barker etc has to addressed because it's clear they are making no progress in the PL and need something better than the EDR scheme to kick start their careers.

Yet other riders from other countries will come here, ride in the PL, move up to the EL and then on to higher levels abroad.

As indeed will Robert Lambert I'm sure.

So is it a problem with the system, or a problem with the riders?

Over the years, how many full time riders have their been in speedway second division? Was it a common thing? Just a few? Is it reasonable to expect to make a full time career riding at that level?

James Grieves for example, a pretty decent 2nd division (and top flight at times) rider always had a job separate to speedway.

But Auty was left high and dry himself last year.

Over the years, how many full time riders have their been in speedway second division? Was it a common thing? Just a few? Is it reasonable to expect to make a full time career riding at that level?

James Grieves for example, a pretty decent 2nd division (and top flight at times) rider always had a job separate to speedway.

I think that's very fair point.

I can recall Mick Bell saying that when he rode for Coventry's championship winning teams in the late 1970's speedway was just a good paying hobby, not something you could rely on for full time employment. Even in the hey day of the sport, only the top boys really made money at it.

Edited by Halifaxtiger

Think understanding bosses who would give time off and put up with injuries for Speedway are very few and far between these days.

Think understanding fans who would accept one of their riders not being available for some meetings due to work are even fewer!

Practically I think the chances of a young rider doing anything that isn't self employed during the season these days is going to be very difficult although they should and do work in the off season.

Think understanding bosses who would give time off and put up with injuries for Speedway are very few and far between these days.

Think understanding fans who would accept one of their riders not being available for some meetings due to work are even fewer!

Practically I think the chances of a young rider doing anything that isn't self employed during the season these days is going to be very difficult although they should and do work in the off season.

pl fans have to get used to employers from el making them miss meetings