British Speedway Forum
Star Lady

Do We Still Need The Play-offs

It would be much simpler and far quicker for all if they simply broadcast one meeting live, let the other one run as normal and simply showed the pre-recorded heat from the other meet in between. All be done and dusted by the normal time.

You could go further (a bit like Match of the Day) and show one meeting live followed by the other which had been recorded. Just "look away" as they say in the news if you don't want to know the result i.e. stay off here and social media till you'd finished watching both meetings. It still feels live if you don't know the result. Trust me, I watched the last F1 race late Monday and I still cheered when Vettel turned left. [Whoops, now I've openned another can of worms]

part of quote

I watched the last F1 race late Monday and I still cheered when Vettel turned left. [Whoops, now I've opened another can of worms

Which turn left do you mean? The one taking out Max or the one almost taking out Lewis a few seconds later. He knows what he is doing & gets away with it. He got away with the earlier one when he expected Lewis to accelerate from a corner on a re-start then accused him of brake testing him.

Three of my local clubs, Kent, lakeside & Eastbourne have all qualified for the NL play offs. That's a minimum of four extra meetings for me, bring it on I say.

• Like 1

Yous should have been at The Abbey last night, the place was rockin.

That was the bulldozers!

Got to be honest but the racing in both play off semis was awful.Watched the Swedish play off on the new free view channel last night and it was miles better.Other than BV the tracks over there seem to produce better racing IMO.

Interesting comments following last night's Rugby League Play Off semi-final - many like this (familiar noises!)

A fabulous game of Rugby League, well done Cas and Saints. However, I do not like the end-of-season system: If you win the league you are champions; if you finish bottom you are relegated. It shouldn't be a knockout system - the (much under-valued) Challenge Cup is for that purpose.

• Like 1

Got to be honest but the racing in both play off semis was awful.Watched the Swedish play off on the new free view channel last night and it was miles better.Other than BV the tracks over there seem to produce better racing IMO.

Agree 100% but the riders are paid at least double most get here and thus much more motivated . £500 per point it is said. It was great racing and drama too but it looks as if paying at that rate has broken several clubs. However they seem to have had reasonable crowds even if that was not quite enough.

Interesting comments following last night's Rugby League Play Off semi-final - many like this (familiar noises!)

A fabulous game of Rugby League, well done Cas and Saints. However, I do not like the end-of-season system: If you win the league you are champions; if you finish bottom you are relegated. It shouldn't be a knockout system - the (much under-valued) Challenge Cup is for that purpose.

I have said that for years. Nice to know that somweone agrees with me. :t:

• Like 1

Agree 100% but the riders are paid at least double most get here and thus much more motivated . £500 per point it is said. It was great racing and drama too but it looks

as if paying at that rate has broken several clubs. However they seem to have had reasonable crowds even if that was not quite enough.

But we also have fewer meetings. The teams who reach the final either have 20 meetings for teams that go via quarter final or 18 meetings if the team is seeded to semi final.

Ipswich PlayOff meeting delayed to get all the crowd in tonight. Shocking isn't it. :P

• Like 2

You always get a few dinosaurs, whatever the sport. ;)

Play-offs pack in the crowds and therefore must stay. It makes no economic sense to scrap the few speedway meetings that, probably, actually do make money.

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam
  • Like 2

Yes we do need the play offs, but not all ran on the same night.

Edited by Starman2006

Ipswich PlayOff meeting delayed to get all the crowd in tonight. Shocking isn't it. :P

Irrelevant in my view.

The Team that finishes top over the whole Season should be the Champions.

Have another Competition by all means - I have no problem with that but you can't call the Winners the League Champions because, putting it simply, they aren't.

However, as Lucifer Sam states, I'm a dinosaur, so what do I know apart from the fact that there were a lot more people attending Speedway before they had the 'Play Offs'.

Maybe the unfairness of it does have an effect on Supporters - I don't know.

• Like 2

Irrelevant in my view.

The Team that finishes top over the whole Season should be the Champions.

Have another Competition by all means - I have no problem with that but you can't call the Winners the League Champions because, putting it simply, they aren't.

However, as Lucifer Sam states, I'm a dinosaur, so what do I know apart from the fact that there were a lot more people attending Speedway before they had the 'Play Offs'.

Maybe the unfairness of it does have an effect on Supporters - I don't know.

...ah but dinosaurs lived for many millions of years. The human race has a bit of catching up to do!