British Speedway Forum

Noticed a couple of weeks ago they had changed the packaging to paper instead of the plastic covering.Just had avery wet and soggy Magazine delivery most pages stuck together.If this is going to happen all through the Winter months there are going to be a lot of Complaints.(I will be the 1st).

ps

The Brown envelopes were much more substantial in wet weather.These present paper ones are cheap and nasty. 

This has happened with a couple of other magazines to which I subscribe. I suppose that they think that paper is 'green' after the stuff about plastic. Certainly the paper envelopes biodegrade in the post ...

Another excellent read this week..

Part 1 of an interview with David Gordon being particularly enlightening...

He mentions the Sky money and how it varied from £1m to £1.5m a year in total, and basically paid for "highly priced GP riders to race in the Elite League" which left no money over for investment in the sport..

A good interview with Rob Godfrey too, which details some of the background work being done re saving tracks and reducing costs...

An excellent publication once again....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mikebv said:

He mentions the Sky money and how it varied from £1m to £1.5m a year in total, and basically paid for "highly priced GP riders to race in the Elite League" which left no money over for investment in the sport..

A good interview with Rob Godfrey too, which details some of the background work being done re saving tracks and reducing costs...

What a wasted opportunity...confirms what many of us knew. Nonsensical practice with riders taking more out of the sport than what was coming in. Of course in the "Good Old Days" many riders were part-time and the sport gave them a good side line boosting their potential earnings.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, steve roberts said:

What a wasted opportunity...confirms what many of us knew. Nonsensical practice with riders taking more out of the sport than what was coming in. Of course in the "Good Old Days" many riders were part-time and the sport gave them a good side line boosting their potential earnings.

Something Rob Godfrey alluded too as well...

Semi pro standard for the majority (like it used to be), has to be the way forward...

I bet there have never been so many "pro riders", looking for 12 months money for six months work, and at a time when there has never been so few fans to fund this desire and expectation...

An equation that simply doesnt add up...

• Like 1

Of course one of the problems with getting a subscription copy whether plastic or paper packaged is when the royal mail cwu members go on strike!! If the postie decides not to deliver on Saturday then its into the next week before I get mine.

• Like 1

Excellent read this week  - Godfrey's interview enlightening. Agree fully with him (and have posted on here) that I agree semi pro riders must be the way forward in a sport in the UK that cannot support so many full time riders. 

My star is delivered by courier  - every Thursday at 5 or 6 am ! No wrapper just the magazine pushed through the letter box. 

How the Royal Mail is still allowed to keep the "Royal" title escapes me ... if it was the King would surely be rounding up the Union leaders and throwing them in the Tower for the Treasonable offence of interfering with His Majesty's mail.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Excellent read this week  - Godfrey's interview enlightening. Agree fully with him (and have posted on here) that I agree semi pro riders must be the way forward in a sport in the UK that cannot support so many full time riders. 

My star is delivered by courier  - every Thursday at 5 or 6 am ! No wrapper just the magazine pushed through the letter box. 

How the Royal Mail is still allowed to keep the "Royal" title escapes me ... if it was the King would surely be rounding up the Union leaders and throwing them in the Tower for the Treasonable offence of interfering with His Majesty's mail.

...absolutely agree!

On 11/25/2022 at 7:06 AM, mikebv said:

Is this the same Rob Godfrey that has been at the helm since 2019 and for whatever reason has seen the demise of Rye House, Somerset, Swindon, Lakeside, Newcastle, Workington, Buxton, Cradley Heath, Eastbourne, Isle of Wight & Stoke since the end of the 2018 season... surely the most disastrous chairmanship of anybody in the history of sport.

I'm not sure he's the man for the job personally

• Like 1

On 9/29/2022 at 11:16 AM, The Dog said:

I've noticed some of the photos appear to be losing quality and sharpness lately, is this down to the different paper it's printed on or just the photographer? 

Back in the day when it used to be Speeway Star vs Speedway Mail the 2 headline photographers used to be Mike Patrick for SS and Ken Carpenter (I think) for SMI. For me even though SS was a magazine and SMI a newspaper the photo's from Ken Carpenter were far superior in clarity than Mike Patricks and even more so when SMI went to a magazine format. For some reason though it was Mike Patrick that got the notoriety... just shows what a silly pair of trousers and a bit of showmanship can do!

On 11/25/2022 at 7:06 AM, mikebv said:

It would have been nice to know why the SCB made the decision re Robert Lambert when the BSPL have sole authority to approve or not on team line ups, perhaps this will be revealed in time.

Edited by bigcatdiary

1 hour ago, iainb said:

Is this the same Rob Godfrey that has been at the helm since 2019 and for whatever reason has seen the demise of Rye House, Somerset, Swindon, Lakeside, Newcastle, Workington, Buxton, Cradley Heath, Eastbourne, Isle of Wight & Stoke since the end of the 2018 season... surely the most disastrous chairmanship of anybody in the history of sport.

I'm not sure he's the man for the job personally

As he says in the interview all clubs are standalone businesses. if the owners can't make it pay or decide to close them or Chuck their teddies from the pram there's not a lot that can be done to keep them open as not many people are willing to put money into speedway. As matter of interest could you point out which clubs could of been saved by the Bspl 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bigcatdiary said:

It would have been nice to know why the SCB made the decision re Robert Lambert when the BSPL have sole authority to approve or not on team line ups, perhaps this will be revealed in time.

Presumably they only have sole authority within the SCB rulebook- the BSPL were no doubt interpreting a rule one way and  when the SCB  got involved interpreted it another way- typical  badly worded rules !!!

8 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

Presumably they only have sole authority within the SCB rulebook- the BSPL were no doubt interpreting a rule one way and  when the SCB  got involved interpreted it another way- typical  badly worded rules !!!

...which has been the case with the speedway rulebook for many years and open to all sorts of interpretation/abuse and finding loop holes of which Ian Thomas was a great advocate!

1 minute ago, steve roberts said:

...which has been the case with the speedway rulebook for many years and open to all sorts of interpretation/abuse and finding loop holes of which Ian Thomas was a great advocate!

I wasn`t so shabby myself- RR for Tara O` Callaghan all season and objecting to Oxford successfully when they broke the rules :D