British Speedway Forum

5 hours ago, mikebv said:

As most of us will know, the latest ruling is still a long, long way from Cov coming back, but surely it does offer some leverage which could see then back in the sport? 

As the council are 100% supportive, as seen by their actions so far, and the company obviously need the land to build their houses on, could it now be the time to get a compromise of another site, funded by the company, and allowed to be used by the council? 

Surely there must be some suitably sized brown field site somewhere within the locale, which could be initially developed along the Somerset, Workington lines just to get Speedway back? 

If it's anything like here in Leicester there's a hell of a lot of derelict urban land that these housing estates should be built on and thus the re-generation of areas before these building companies get to greenfield sites

5 hours ago, mikebv said:

As most of us will know, the latest ruling is still a long, long way from Cov coming back, but surely it does offer some leverage which could see then back in the sport? 

As the council are 100% supportive, as seen by their actions so far, and the company obviously need the land to build their houses on, could it now be the time to get a compromise of another site, funded by the company, and allowed to be used by the council? 

Surely there must be some suitably sized brown field site somewhere within the locale, which could be initially developed along the Somerset, Workington lines just to get Speedway back? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvapQLnPRiY

Here is a reason why your suggestion should not be considered Just watch the emotion from Jeff Davies in his interview & then  consider the support from thousands of people from all around the UK & Europe for retaining the stadium. Also consider the huge support from the local residents of the area around the stadium who voted heavily for it to remain when a survey was carried out. Indeed when the fund raising appeal to help with the cos tof the SCS group obtain a legal representative for the inquiry was opened there was  a large contributution made by the residents of the properties immediately next to the stadium. That is an indication of the level of support this fight has.

Developers always use the same tactics when they aquire land without planning & usually the councils roll over , in this case they haven't & I say well done to them for fighting this out.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Dave Jones said:

Here is a reason why your suggestion should not be considered Just watch the emotion from Jeff Davies in his interview & then  consider the support from thousands of people from all around the UK & Europe for retaining the stadium. Also consider the huge support from the local residents of the area around the stadium who voted heavily for it to remain when a survey was carried out. Indeed when the fund raising appeal to help with the cos tof the SCS group obtain a legal representative for the inquiry was opened there was  a large contributution made by the residents of the properties immediately next to the stadium. That is an indication of the level of support this fight has.

Developers always use the same tactics when they aquire land without planning & usually the councils roll over , in this case they haven't & I say well done to them for fighting this out.

Thanks Dave for posting that video, Jeff deserves some serious award for his dedication along with many others in the fight for Brandon. It’s heartwarming  to see the little men win the battle with a Goliath..

On a personal note , my back straight  spot sounds like it’s still. In decent  nick.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, jrs said:

Thanks Dave for posting that video, Jeff deserves some serious award for his dedication along with many others in the fight for Brandon. It’s heartwarming  to see the little men win the battle with a Goliath..

On a personal note , my back straight  spot sounds like it’s still. In decent  nick.  

I was always a Rugby bend viewer, but i would be more than happy to make that a" back straighter" if the opportunity should arise.:)

• Like 1

Absolutely DJ

This would be like snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

anyways the councillors at the planning meeting in 2022 concurred that houses at Brandon were not appropriate ,namely the token affordable houses ,as the local amenities were lacking and residents would be relying on a not so good bus route .

kudos to the campaign group.

What next for BE ?? I don’t know if they can do much now but sit on it ,but that’s not much of a plan is it ,no development possible its a liability for them now such a shame.

At some stage they will need to cut and run and get something back from their speculative purchase.

SCS 5  BE 1 November 22

SCS 5  BE 1 19th Jan 24

up the bees

Edited by naffer

8 hours ago, Sir Sidney said:

But that is precisely what Terry Russell has done. As far as I can see Swindon Council has stuck to its side of the deal. 

Terry still owns Swindon speedway 2013 ltd and is part of the  swindon motorsports company charged with securing a new venue for aforementioned.this plan has been cooked up by the land owner Clarke Osborne to ensure a smooth transition to a housing estate on the whole site

If you read the update I posted you can see what a mess the council has made

30 minutes ago, naffer said:

Absolutely DJ

This would be like snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

anyways the councillors at the planning meeting in 2022 concurred that houses at Brandon were not appropriate ,namely the token affordable houses ,as the local amenities were lacking and residents would be relying on a not so good bus route .

kudos to the campaign group.

What next for BE ?? I don’t know if they can do much now but sit on it ,but that’s not much of a plan is it ,no development possible its a liability for them now such a shame.

At some stage they will need to cut and run and get something back from their speculative purchase.

SCS 5  BE 1 November 22

SCS 5  BE 1 19th Jan 24

up the bees

Can they not appeal ?

2 minutes ago, Toady said:

Can they not appeal ?

Apparently not. it's the end of the process for them.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Deano said:

Apparently not. it's the end of the process for them.

From the local paper,they can appeal but it has to be for legal reasons,They have six weeks to do so.

1 hour ago, silverrocket said:

From the local paper,they can appeal but it has to be for legal reasons,They have six weeks to do so.

In the video Jeff Davies does state that the owners could go to the High Court if there was anything legally wrong with the government inspector's report, but the SCS group had read it & that they couldn't see any issues.  

One member of the SCS group works in planning & obviously knows his way round the system, so we can only keep everything crossed & see what happens next.

2 hours ago, Toady said:

Terry still owns Swindon speedway 2013 ltd and is part of the  swindon motorsports company charged with securing a new venue for aforementioned.this plan has been cooked up by the land owner Clarke Osborne to ensure a smooth transition to a housing estate on the whole site

If you read the update I posted you can see what a mess the council has made

I have read it thanks. Council to consider action against developer.  

The people to blame are Clarke Osborne and Terry Russell, not the Council

I'll comment on that post and not put a distraction on the Brandon thread

2 hours ago, Toady said:

Can they not appeal ?

Apparently not. HOWEVER, what's to stop them doing a redesign of the proposals to get around the councillors objections, waiting a while to show whether any serious motions to buy back and renovate the stadium come forward, and then starting the whole planning process off again with their Mk 2 Planning Application?

7 hours ago, Dave Jones said:

Oxford council did the same, a shame Swindon are one that as you say rolled over

2 hours ago, uk_martin said:

Apparently not. HOWEVER, what's to stop them doing a redesign of the proposals to get around the councillors objections, waiting a while to show whether any serious motions to buy back and renovate the stadium come forward, and then starting the whole planning process off again with their Mk 2 Planning Application?

Lets hope any other version, doesn't yield them any profit, after all the costs incurred so far.

3 hours ago, Deano said:

Lets hope any other version, doesn't yield them any profit, after all the costs incurred so far.

This is the issue, so long as any other successful planning application yields BE significant profits I doubt they will want to sell the site, as a matter of curiosity has anyone been able to find out who are the people behind Brandon Estates ?.