British Speedway Forum

3 hours ago, Arthur54 said:

Yes seems to have gone Very quiet at Glasgow regarding cook's none appearance 

To be honest, the club have been very quiet all year, more so than usual. Not much on the website, social media very sporadic too. No mention of the Plymouth match at all, in fact, on Twitter at least. The did post this on the website:

GLASGOW have ended their league season with a defeat at Plymouth.

The 54-36 result had no bearing on the final standings but had to be completed in order to finish the programmed fixtures.

The Tigers made the league’s play-off semi-finals but went out to Poole.

Which is a nicer way of saying "we had to go, but none of us really had our hearts in it". Which I fully understand, and especially for someone like Tom who was focused on Belle Vue's playoff final.

The Glasgow promotion do a lot of stuff really well, but external facing comms/PR isn't their strong point. They don't come out with anything bad, it's just there's not a lot said. I think it's a reflection of the owners to some extent - they keep themselves to themselves. I think they'd benefit from having someone to push the club's profile and output a bit more.

12 minutes ago, Noelinho said:

To be honest, the club have been very quiet all year, more so than usual. Not much on the website, social media very sporadic too. No mention of the Plymouth match at all, in fact, on Twitter at least. The did post this on the website:

Which is a nicer way of saying "we had to go, but none of us really had our hearts in it". Which I fully understand, and especially for someone like Tom who was focused on Belle Vue's playoff final.

The Glasgow promotion do a lot of stuff really well, but external facing comms/PR isn't their strong point. They don't come out with anything bad, it's just there's not a lot said. I think it's a reflection of the owners to some extent - they keep themselves to themselves. I think they'd benefit from having someone to push the club's profile and output a bit more.

I am afraid it’s commonplace amongst speedway clubs in general, the communication is generally poor to its supporters.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bigcatdiary said:

I am afraid it’s commonplace amongst speedway clubs in general, the communication is generally poor to its supporters.

However some clubs are getting better. Poole been a lot better since Dan Ford been doing day to day running of the club :t:

• Like 1

Some clubs get exposure, but only because it comes from boneheads mouthing off, which is often worse than not saying much at all!

Len Silver always did a good job when he re-started Rye House in the late 90s. Different times though.

1 hour ago, Noelinho said:

They come up with effusive quotes from the Team Manager when the team wins, but barely acknowledge a defeat - Plymouth being the most recent example - and no mention of Cooks absence, for which it seems he has received a suspension, something unlikely to be recorded on the clubs FB page. Similarly no statement about the Jubilee Final. 

• Like 2

Glasgow were excellent pre Covid including a film of the 2019 season. I gather the young man who did that has gone on to bigger things. 

Redcar have been very good for a number of seasons. Berwick similarly are very good. 

Eastbourne were very good prior to their closing. Edinburgh are excellent and hopefully they'll find a way to stay open or reopen in 2019. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mikebv said:

That would be his catalytic converter....

Smells like sulphur when it goes...:D

more like a rotten egg !

21 hours ago, Mike0310 said:

Regardless of the politics of it all and when it should have been held the riders have lost out on 3 pay packets and that’s not fair, but I must admit cook not turning up at Plymouth on Tuesday stinks.

7 hours ago, mikebv said:

That would be his catalytic converter....

Smells like sulphur when it goes...:D

So Craig Cook banned from riding in the individual at Edinburgh tonight 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Arthur54 said:

So Craig Cook banned from riding in the individual at Edinburgh tonight 

The forum Inspector Clouseau strikes again, or to put it another way no sh*t sherlock.

• Haha 1

Cookie came up tonight to Armadale, did an interview of his time with the Monarchs, which was appreciated by the home crowd who gave him a round of applause.

Pity some of the pond life on here can only gloat on the negatives.:sad:

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Noelinho said:

There's a simple solution to that - move Mr Brown from the manager's position to that of publicity officer.

He seems to like (self) publicity.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, cyclone said:

Cookie came up tonight to Armadale, did an interview of his time with the Monarchs, which was appreciated by the home crowd who gave him a round of applause.

Pity some of the pond life on here can only gloat on the negatives.:sad:

I’m not sure it’s just “pond life”. How do you turn the fact one of the top riders wouldn’t be riding after all, actually wouldn’t be allowed to ride, into a positive? Cook was advertised in the line up but where and when (other than at the track) was it announced that he wouldn’t be riding? 
Surely it’s reasonable for supporters to feel cheated, “pond life” or otherwise?

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Gazc said:

The forum Inspector Clouseau strikes again, or to put it another way no sh*t sherlock.

Its ok for fans to turn up expecting him to ride, only to be told he's not, not even why 

9 minutes ago, Arthur54 said:

Its ok for fans to turn up expecting him to ride, only to be told he's not, not even why 

The Monarchs noted this in their website post previewing the fixture first thing on Saturday. They didn’t say why, but they did make it clear he wasn’t going to be racing.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Wee Eck said:

I’m not sure it’s just “pond life”. How do you turn the fact one of the top riders wouldn’t be riding after all, actually wouldn’t be allowed to ride, into a positive? Cook was advertised in the line up but where and when (other than at the track) was it announced that he wouldn’t be riding? 
Surely it’s reasonable for supporters to feel cheated, “pond life” or otherwise?

I think there were several hints on the Monarchs' Facebook page I picked up on 

1 He was not featured as were previous winners in the preceeding days.

2 There were only 15 riders in the photograph of participants in a Sat morning post.

3 A later photograph included Craig but it was a b&w photo while all other riders photographs were in colour.

Coincidence or am I just being sceptical?