British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bri1966

Will people be able to afford to go

1 hour ago, Wembleyfan said:

The big difference relates to the fact that most concerts are one-off events for the punter and there are headline acts. Cardiff GP attracts good crowds, a one-off event with headliners. You would be better comparing it to a residency for the local folk group in the local pub. The same people will turn up each week (or month) to hear the same songs in the same format. The odd newcomer will come in, maybe enjoy it but probably won't be back.

I can see an accept this point but offer an example closer in comparison

Ipswich Town yesterday took 7000 fans to Milton Keynes - at least 4 times the number that attend Foxhalls best supported meetings perhaps 6 times the normal.

Yes a one off although the travelling support for games  , even midweek and many hours away , is often at least the same as those normal Foxhall events

In all cases ticket prices are higher than Foxhall plus the cost of travel and food etc would at least double , probably treble , the total outlay

The money is there for regular events too - certainly in the numbers that would make a huge difference to speedway from its current support base level

6 hours ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

I can see an accept this point but offer an example closer in comparison

Ipswich Town yesterday took 7000 fans to Milton Keynes - at least 4 times the number that attend Foxhalls best supported meetings perhaps 6 times the normal.

Yes a one off although the travelling support for games  , even midweek and many hours away , is often at least the same as those normal Foxhall events

In all cases ticket prices are higher than Foxhall plus the cost of travel and food etc would at least double , probably treble , the total outlay

The money is there for regular events too - certainly in the numbers that would make a huge difference to speedway from its current support base level

I agree, but the finances of the people attending the Ipswich game will, I suspect, be similar to those attending the Speedway not those with larger disposable incomes as you were suggesting in your initial example. It has always been a working class sport, similar to football, but football has retained its loyal following while attracting new supporters to fill the gaps, Speedway hasn't. It's probably this that needs to be looked at for it to survive. I don't have any answers by the way, I certainly don't enjoy Speedway like I used to and don't go regularly anymore.

On 2/13/2022 at 7:54 PM, Bavarian said:

Are there still any supporters clubs in speedway in the UK, like there used to be in the past?

There is still a few but certainly not as many as in the past,in the 60’s-90’s it was common for some Clubs to even have different Branches within the Club.

We have Oxford back. Newcastle and Birmingham are still running. It's important we don't talk the sport down. Times are tough and money is tight but speedway is still a reasonable option in these times. It's not as expensive as football and some other sports. I just hope that the promoters think about this and give value for money - decent tracks,  promptly run meetings, some s smiling faces when I buy a programme  or  a drink - and no last minute cancellations. Oh and have a word with the riders about making sure they turn up properly prepared.

I personally cannot understand why people on this forum don't attend meetings. This is a speedway forum after all!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bluebee said:

We have Oxford back. Newcastle and Birmingham are still running. It's important we don't talk the sport down. Times are tough and money is tight but speedway is still a reasonable option in these times. It's not as expensive as football and some other sports. I just hope that the promoters think about this and give value for money - decent tracks,  promptly run meetings, some s smiling faces when I buy a programme  or  a drink - and no last minute cancellations. Oh and have a word with the riders about making sure they turn up properly prepared.

I personally cannot understand why people on this forum don't attend meetings. This is a speedway forum after all!

...if I still lived in Oxford (Littlemore) I would certainly attend but I won't travel 60 plus miles to attend a meeting personally for reasons I have given previously.

Edited by steve roberts

1 hour ago, bluebee said:

Worse than that, I don't understand why people REFUSE to watch it on TV or online. Yet they claim to be speedway "fans".

• Like 1

I supported reading for years, iow in the prem after, nomadically ended up attending several eastbourne matches a season for last 5-6 yr. The goings on there has soured me so much im not sure wether i can be assed to a, attend a few fixtures in 22 and b, go back to being a nomadic eastbourne supporter in 23. That slimeball jordan has a lot to answer for too a lot of people .

10 hours ago, chunky said:

Worse than that, I don't understand why people REFUSE to watch it on TV or online. Yet they claim to be speedway "fans".

I can somewhat equate with that and I occasionally dip in and out of "televised" races (although I have never subscribed to any "pay" channels") but I always prefered watching racing "live" and the banter one could have with regular collleagues on the terraces and the general atmosphere that creates. Even during the heady days of "World of Sport" (which I viewed religiously) it never replaced actually being present and all that entails.

On a seperate issue I tend to avoid watching sport on TV because of all the hype, over analysis with all those studio "experts" and screaming commentators.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

I can somewhat equate with that and I occasionally dip in and out of "televised" races (although I have never subscribed to any "pay" channels") but I always prefered watching racing "live" and the banter one could have with regular collleagues on the terraces and the general atmosphere that creates. Even during the heady days of "World of Sport" (which I viewed religiously) it never replaced actually being present and all that entails.

On a seperate issue I tend to avoid watching sport on TV because of all the hype, over analysis with all those studio "experts" and screaming commentators.

My thoughts entirely. It’s not a question of refusing to watch speedway on TV more a matter of not being bothered most of the time. 

There is something special, almost magical, about the atmosphere of being present at a meeting, the noise, the smell , the feeling of being part of things, that just doesn’t convert to sitting in an armchair in front of a TV screen. Like others , I was a regular week in, week out supporter , until my track closed. The feeling of disgust towards those in charge these days doesn’t engender much enthusiasm either. I never though my view of the sport would become so tarnished.

I agree with you about TV sport generally now. Most of the time it is all about money , not the true ethos of sport. Even the Olympics now pass me by as if they haven’t happened. I can still enjoy watching local cricket in the park but agree totally with you that the baggage that goes with televised sport is often a turn off.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, bluebee said:

For me it is simple, my working hours don't allow me to. I suspect that applies to quite a lot more people than in the 70's or 80's as well. 

Additionally for so many it means an hour or more each way travelling although I have to admit that didn't stop us, as a family, going in earlier decades, travel is more expensive now though I think. 

I can only do weekends but there is nothing local and most weekends I would rather be riding bikes than watching somebody else anyway. Never miss a GP on the TV but league meetings are recorded and the fast forward button used frequently unless it is an especially good meeting. I have never been a typical fan though having always preferred individual meetings.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, bluebee said:

Poor VFM for me. Also its a massive rush around to get to Lynn for me after work in the summer months. I used to be a week in week out fan but only go very occasionally now and enjoy it far more. And I never, ever take the risk now if the weather forecast is dodgy as riders are very rarely interested once there's a spot of rain.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ruckerroo said:

I supported reading for years, iow in the prem after, nomadically ended up attending several eastbourne matches a season for last 5-6 yr. The goings on there has soured me so much im not sure wether i can be assed to a, attend a few fixtures in 22 and b, go back to being a nomadic eastbourne supporter in 23. That slimeball jordan has a lot to answer for too a lot of people .

I understand. I supported Reading when I lived there and Coventry again when I moved back to the Midlands. It's always hard summoning up the enthusiasm to go to another track but I'm glad I did. I can appreciate how you feel about Jordan as I felt pretty much the same about some involved in the demise of Brandon. However, going to Leicester reminded that a promotion can be welcoming and that there is something about the mix of fans that is good as well- , that it still has some connection with its working class roots and being a bit quaintly old-fashioned is a good antidote to the hyper-real presentation of other sports. It may be that this can actually be a selling point, I don;t know. I do hope you go again. As El Addio has said there is something magical about a good live speedway match.

• Like 1

The working enviroment for most of us has changed so much, Where I was working when I used to go all over to watch Speedway there were 12 to 15 blokes on the floor so if I wanted to shoot off early to a speedway track there was cover as long as I stepped in when they wanted to get away early, Now there are only 4 blokes & 2 of them are drivers so the cover is not there.

Then there is the cost of fuel now at record prices. But the biggest issue is plain & simple the timing & the VFM I used to go & expect to see the first race at 7:30 with the parade 15 minutes earlier then there would be a whole meeting 13/15 races, To the bar for a pint & a chat & watch 6/8 second half races & I could leave happy at 9:30 latest.

For speedway to save it's self & encourage people like Steve Roberts back as regulars it needs to be run in a manner that gives the paying public any chance to believe they are getting VFM

• Like 2