British Speedway Forum
JanAndersen

Edinburgh - new home required….

2 hours ago, HGould said:

A friendly welcoming Club with some excellent Supporters. 

I'd agree seems such a short turnaround for 2023 unless things are already in planning. 

Just asking a question? 

Would transferring License and Team to Northside for a season work for both operations? 

Keep Monarch support active and get Northside set up. 

Either at CL or NDL level? 

Fingers crossed the Monarchs can continue. 

Good luck to the monarchs finding a new home, but I don't think a track share with Northside/Workington would work, look what happened last time a bunch of scots track shared in Workington ended up a cow s**t show when they watered the track with a slurry tanker with out cleaning it :o

30 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Unfortunately anybody with a spare field nowadays sells it to Property Developers.

I think the idea would be for the land to be rented not purchased in a place where housing is not allowed/ viable and unlikely to be given planning permission.

9 minutes ago, ch958 said:

I think the idea would be for the land to be rented not purchased in a place where housing is not allowed/ viable and unlikely to be given planning permission.

Possibly,but in this climate can’t see a Promotion building Stadium on a piece of rented private land.Would have to be some deal.

Edited by Fromafar
  • Like 1

Just prior to former director Brian Gray's death, was there not talk of a field for use as a training track?

I've no idea where it was, or indeed the finer details, but could that be a potential avenue to explore?

I thought a field quite near the Armadale stadium was earmarked for the new track the last time the Monarchs were faced with eviction . Is that not a goer now ? 

sad to hear but who has bought it as pretty sure the last planning application was knocked back dew to lack of infrastructure and schools doctors ect in the area and the last i heard it was a wealthy fan who was  buying it but if it’s not who is it ?will they give them a few more years there ? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mac101 said:

sad to hear but who has bought it as pretty sure the last planning application was knocked back dew to lack of infrastructure and schools doctors ect in the area and the last i heard it was a wealthy fan who was  buying it but if it’s not who is it ?will they give them a few more years there ? 

Agree. I remember it being said for no worries when it was sold, as they knew who he was and he was a friend of Speedway.

Edited by Tsunami
  • Like 1

While it is not enough to buy/build a new stadium the fantastically supported and run Monarchs Fan Trust has a relatively healthy balance sheet which you would imagine could go towards the cause. Hopefully a site can be identified soon and then we can turn our attention to the finances. 

12 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Think it s fair to say that Edinburgh Council have never been very supportive or helpful in finding a new home within the City.Wallyford comes to mind with the Stand structure built for the supposedly new Grey hound Stadium being there for at least 20 years but no sign of Stadium,even that has been sold on now to a business.It was just a big con by some Irishman to get the housing development up and running,he had no intentions of building the Stadium.

Planning permission for Wallyford prohibited motorsports.

16 minutes ago, tyretrax said:

Planning permission for Wallyford prohibited motorsports.

At the time which was at least 20years ago ( or more)there was hope that something might be considered there, but the whole thing was a big con anyway.The stand structure is now at the edge of a housing scheme like as Armadale.It is going to be taken down anyway because a business has bought  it and is putting a factory on site ( I believe).The Council tried to take the Irishman who owned to court because he  reneged on building the greyhound stadium.Don’t think they were successful.Best of luck to finding somewhere though.I will be difficult IMO.Probably another brown envelope job for the local council 

Edited by Fromafar

9 hours ago, King Jamie said:

Just prior to former director Brian Gray's death, was there not talk of a field for use as a training track?

I've no idea where it was, or indeed the finer details, but could that be a potential avenue to explore?

IIRC it was Avonbridge near Falkirk.

Apparently it was only a piece of a field already used for informal motocross with nothing else.

Also the only  access was via a minor  unlisted road.

Believe Brian envisaged it being used for training purposes only.

Edited by cyclone
  • Thanks 1

Very sad to hear the news.....

Not being up to date on all the background, is it not possible for the current promotion to become the new landlords of Armadale or is the sale for housing etc etc?.......whoops looks like from reading above its housing going on the site.

Hope we see Edinburgh race again very soon :t:

Edited by Turnip

From the statements from the Monarchs Promotion, they seem very confident that Edinburgh will be coming to tapes in 2023.  Its not as if this latest announcement has come as a surprise so the Promotion have clearly been working on possible alternatives for some time.  Lets hope they are fruitful

• Like 2

The stadium hasn’t actually been sold. So we can if have the funds purchase it.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Mr Blobby said:

The stadium hasn’t actually been sold. So we can if have the funds purchase it.

Why have the club been given notice then if no sale agreed?