British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
old bob at herne bay

UK speedway slowly dying

1 hour ago, ArthurRudge said:

yeah it's very embarrassing.

Couldn’t agree more.GP stops all weekend speedway and attracts people who won’t go again until the next one!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Wessexbobcat said:

Not interested without a club to follow.I don’t think the cost justifies what you get either.15 races of follow your leader, same riders double up down guest amateur at best .I probably won’t  bother online with speedway soon.Will always remember the 70’s and 80’s National League great racing no guests , or playoffs and proper tac sub rule.They call it progress maybe?(self distract I think)

The BSF summed up in a post

• Thanks 1

Packed crowd at Oxford a month ago, will be packed again in couple of weeks for the Pairs. Far from dead yet.

Probably needs one big league and/or definitely more teams in Premier, 6 isn't enough.

Edited by auntie doris
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, auntie doris said:

Packed crowd at Oxford a month ago, will be packed again in couple of weeks for the Pairs. Far from dead yet.

Probably needs one big league and/or definitely more teams in Premier, 6 isn't enough.

Cant see there ever being anymore than 6 Teams in Premier now,Oxford will probably be ask to go up next season especially if Peterborough don’t run.Powers at be don’t want a restructure.

Deanno, I know exactly how you feel, the BSPL are in it for there own benefit not for the benefit of Speedway in GB, when the Tuners appear to be the only ones making money from the sport apart from a few over paid riders, those at the top simply wont/cant see where its wrong for a rider to have 2/3 Teams in the same country, as for equipment costs I wont even go there.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

Tonight wolves were at home to Kings Lynn, I live 2 miles from the track, I had nothing else to do, I was brought up a wolves fan, while I think it’s too expensive in general money is not an issue for me, I am speedways greatest fan, always have been and yet I didn’t want to go tonight,It just didn’t grab my attention enough to attend, I watched it on tv but that didn’t really stop me going either and I missed the first 3 heats as I was watching something else, it’s just not grabbing me, I can’t affiliate with a team of mercenaries who parade as my team, there is no point in having a league with teams that are filled with riders that ride for someone else, I know I am sounding like a broken record but if the sport can’t grab someone like me what chance does it have for a new audience, when I watch British speedway now I feel like I’m watching something else, on track speedway is full of bad annoying habits like starting offences, gardening, adjusting chains etc after a restart, it’s not needed it’s habit and annoying habit at that, 

Agree with every word.

It pains me to agree with every word but you're spot on in your analysis.

We have a generation of over 30's riding  who started when money and interest were greater but who now effectively hold the sport to ransom for their guarantees or over-inflated pay rates. That feeds down to a younger generation, few of whom are making real progress but who want more money that Promoters can afford and the trappings of vans and engine tuners - the latter of which are bleeding the sport dry.

The few innovative thinkers who have emerged have been broken by the system or their owm nievity of the system or have in the case of someone like Adrian Smith just walked away. God Bless those who try to buck the trend at places like Glasgow, Redcar, Oxford, Plymouth.

The Management of the BSPL sit in a parallel universe apparently happy to brag about how much they have lost and had to make good each year; rather than try to plug the drain and to work  towards a model that goes back to basics and starts from the bottom based on realistic pay rates, realistic break even figures, realistic level of riders it can attract etc. Riders are worn out in late July not from riding in a 6 team PL and 10 Team CL for a Club in each but for rising for just about every other Club in both leagues at some point.

How far are we away from the Rider who steps up and says "I've ridden for every CL and PL Club this season"??..

I used to look forward to going to Brum every week and around 10 away matches around the Country.This year I've done 4 Fixtures at Brum, 2 at Oxford, 1 at Plymouth and 2 at Leicester. Have I come away from any having been actually entertained and actually enjoyed the experience, probably twice if i'm being honest and both at Oxford where at east you get a sense of the buzz and excitement I used to. I bet that will be drained out though before too long.

As you have suggested, if we aren't gripped and excitied any more and have become bored and dis-interested, what hope is there.

Each year another one or two will drop out, some with good ideas unfulfilled and no doubt having lost a small fortune, having lost the Masons who did some good work, I now fear for our new Promotion who simply can't be making ends meet nor enjoying the stress and hassle of a sport in decline, with no leadership nor direction, largely mercanaries racing the bikes and not enough excitement.

THANK GOD for the likes of Josh Pickering who has given me some enjoyment this season, we need more of him and a new wave , but I fear its too late. 

Edited by HGould
spell / missed word
  • Like 1

For those paying attention speedway along with other sports is heading for the toughest period ever and it’s going to be bad, really bad and it’s not if it’s own making but I just feel speedway will just try to carry on like everything is normal and then when it hits the wall the Bspl will blame everyone but themselves, the sport is reactive,it should be proactive, reactive this time may be fatal, saying all that it’s not my money at stake 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HGould said:

Agree with every word.

It pains me to agree with every word but you're spot on in your analysis.

We have a generation of over 30's riding  who started when money and interest were greater but who now effectively hold the sport to ransom for their guarantees or over-inflated pay rates. That feeds down to a younger generation, few of whom are making real progress but who want more money that Promoters can afford and the trappings of vans and engine tuners - the latter of which are bleeding the sport dry.

The few innovative thinkers who have emerged have been broken by the system or their owm nievity of the system or have in the case of someone like Adrian Smith just walked away. God Bless those who try to buck the trend at places like Glasgow, Redcar, Oxford, Plymouth.

The Management of the BSPL sit in a parallel universe apparently happy to brag about how much they have lost and had to make good each year; rather than try to plug the drain and to work  towards a model that goes back to basics and starts from the bottom based on realistic pay rates, realistic break even figures, realistic level of riders it can attract etc. Riders are worn out in late July not from riding in a 6 team PL and 10 Team CL for a Club in each but for rising for just about every other Club in both leagues at some point.

How far are we away from the Rider who steps up and says "I've ridden for every CL and PL Club this season"??..

I used to look forward to going to Brum every week and around 10 away matches around the Country.This year I've done 4 Fixtures at Brum, 2 at Oxford, 1 at Plymouth and 2 at Leicester. Have I come away from any having been actually entertained and actually enjoyed the experience, probably twice if i'm being honest and both at Oxford where at east you get a sense of the buzz and excitement I used to. I bet that will be drained out though before too long.

As you have suggested, if we aren't gripped and excitied any more and have become bored and dis-interested, what hope is there.

Each year another one or two will drop out, some with good ideas unfulfilled and no doubt having lost a small fortune, having lost the Masons who did some good work, I now fear for our new Promotion who simply can't be making ends meet nor enjoying the stress and hassle of a sport in decline, with no leadership nor direction, largely mercanaries racing the bikes and not enough excitement.

THANK GOD for the likes of Josh Pickering who has given me some enjoyment this season, we need more of him and a new wave , but I fear its too late. 

I can't quite believe what I've just read there... when somebody does suggest something to try and entice people along to watch Speedway, people like you actually throw every imaginable hurdle in the way as to why not to do it. I suggested that Birmingham should have run some kind of Commonwealth Riders Championship meeting (an absolute no brainer) to cash in on the games being held down the road, with the athletes village on the doorstep and you were quite rude to me about it on the Brummies thread... and you've only been 4 times this season, unbelievable!

Edited by iainb

3 hours ago, keepturningleft said:

It's shocking and depressing to see Belle Vue half empty most meetings.

Great stadium, great track, competitive team and often top-drawer racing. If that can’t attract people through the turnstiles what will?. Back in to day league meetings were followed by a mini individual meeting comprising 6 riders from each team. Maybe an extra 4-7 races per meeting would give extra value for money and entice a few more to come.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, customhouseregular said:

Great stadium, great track, competitive team and often top-drawer racing. If that can’t attract people through the turnstiles what will?. Back in to day league meetings were followed by a mini individual meeting comprising 6 riders from each team. Maybe an extra 4-7 races per meeting would give extra value for money and entice a few more to come.

As we've said before, speedway just isn't "cool" anymore. Forget the organisation (or lack, thereof), forget the death of greyhound racing and demolition of stadia, forget all the experts on the BSF; for whatever reason(s), the public aren't interested.

We've gone from a nation of speedway fans to a nation of ex-speedway fans to a nation of "What the f*** is speedway? Never heard of it."

Don't expect me to provide answers, because I have no idea...

On 7/24/2022 at 10:47 AM, topsoil said:

Quote from Alex Harkess, the Edinburgh director in the Speedway Star two weeks ago. "If you ever read the Speedway Forum, you would easily start to get depressed. Fortunately the reality of speedway is nothing like that".

Really? The man was down in the dumps just a few months ago because Edinburgh was on the verge of folding. He pleaded for single donations of £50,000 to raise a million quid to buy the current land his track's on or face joining the dozens we've had go defunct in recent years. There hasn't been a time I can remember Edinburgh not having a fighting fund.

4 hours ago, keepturningleft said:

It's shocking and depressing to see Belle Vue half empty most meetings.

Look on the bright side. It means it's half full.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

For those paying attention speedway along with other sports is heading for the toughest period ever and it’s going to be bad, really bad and it’s not if it’s own making but I just feel speedway will just try to carry on like everything is normal and then when it hits the wall the Bspl will blame everyone but themselves, the sport is reactive,it should be proactive, reactive this time may be fatal, saying all that it’s not my money at stake 

I hadn't been to a speedway meeting for about five years. About a decade back Dean Felton organised an air-fence meeting at Buxton containing ex-riders and those merely riding in it for the love of the sport. I thought "I'll have a bit of that" and went along to it. It was really enjoyable. I knew the riders did it because, like me, they love the sport and not to see what THEY could cream off it. I don't get that feeling from today's crop of riders. It was last event I attended.