British Speedway Forum
eric i

2023 GP line up/wildcards

11 minutes ago, Lorenzo558 said:

As much as I would have liked to see someone other than Thomsen a problem was also the unfortunate fact that Holder and Fricke made it through the qualifier. Fair play to them but Fricke only reaching 1 semi and Holder two this whole season I would have liked to see someone other than them

Fricke didn't, was just lucky Bewley made the top 6

8 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

Fricke didn't, was just lucky Bewley made the top 6

Yes otherwise we could have got a more fun and better rider in that wildcard in my opinion

1 hour ago, chunky said:

Would you rather have a bunch of hand-picked "entertainers" to vie for an "official" World Championship, or 13/14 of the World's top 15 riders?

Spot on...

For those riding next year I would say Fricke, Holder and Nilsson would be the only ones that you could have a debate about...

None of whom are HL's in Poland's top league. ..

Kolodziej, Laguta and Sayfutdinov would be their natural replacements I would suggest, and would improve the competition...

The like of Kubera is developing in the right direction but is still not of that level..

However, those given a Wild Card can 100% put up the strongest case to deserve one, and will keep the competition clearly the best in the world....

It's just great to see the UK having 20% of the regulars....

And when Tai Woffinden is your third best rider the National team are in very good health. ...

I believe the only way Laguta or Sayfutinov will be allowed to return to SGP is they take out another nations licence & go through the qualification process 

1 hour ago, mikebv said:

Spot on...

For those riding next year I would say Fricke, Holder and Nilsson would be the only ones that you could have a debate about...

Kolodziej, Laguta and Sayfutdinov would be their natural replacements I would suggest, and would improve the competition...

The like of Kubera is developing in the right direction but is still not of that level..

However, those given a Wild Card can 100% put up the strongest case to deserve one, and will keep the competition clearly the best in the world....

And when Tai Woffinden is your third best rider the National team are in very good health. ...

I rate Fricke, but he seemed to tail off at the end of the season, as did Holder. I still feel they both have the ability and potential.

We've heard rumors about Sayfutdinov retiring, but Laguta would obviously strengthen the field. I am not convinced that Kubera et all would strengthen it - yet.

9 hours ago, stevehone said:

2023 FIM SPEEDWAY GRAND PRIX LINE-UP (in FIM ranking order – rider numbers to be confirmed)

1. Bartosz Zmarzlik (Poland)

2. Leon Madsen (Denmark)

3. Maciej Janowski (Poland)

4. Fredrik Lindgren (Sweden)

5. Robert Lambert (Great Britain)

6. Dan Bewley (Great Britain)

7. Patryk Dudek (Poland)

8. Tai Woffinden (Great Britain)

9. Martin Vaculik (Slovakia)

10. Jason Doyle (Australia)

11. Mikkel Michelsen (Denmark)

12. Jack Holder (Australia)

13. Max Fricke (Australia)

14. Anders Thomsen (Denmark)

15. Kim Nilsson (Sweden)

SUBSTITUTES

1. Andzejs Lebedevs (Latvia)

2. Jan Kvech (Czech Republic)

3. Kai Huckenbeck (Germany)

4. Luke Becker (USA)

5. Dimitri Berge (France)

6. Timi Salonen (Finland)

7. Marko Levishyn (Ukraine)

What I don't like about the riding order is Kim Nilsson deserves his place more than 8 riders who have a better ranking via his GP Challenge win, but of he's ever level on countback in the series, he'll be ranked lower!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Technik said:

I believe the only way Laguta or Sayfutinov will be allowed to return to SGP is they take out another nations licence & go through the qualification process 

I agree, IF they come back they must go through the GP Challenge or Euro championship.

The world cup this year was much better to watch - the Finns, a Latvian or Ukrainian I think (not sure I remember right) but they were unexpectedly successful. That's what the GP series lacks for me. I will hope Kim Nilsson proves the naysayers wrong. 

Edited by SPEEDY69
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Lorenzo558 said:

As much as I would have liked to see someone other than Thomsen a problem was also the unfortunate fact that Holder and Fricke made it through the qualifier. Fair play to them but Fricke only reaching 1 semi and Holder two this whole season I would have liked to see someone other than them

Fricke won a gp round this year 

To remind yourself who scored what in each round, it’s all tabulated on FIM Speedway website. Interesting.

22 hours ago, chunky said:

As I said, he is clearly still one of the Top 15 riders in the world, and as you say, he knows how to match - and beat - Zmarzlik.

Aye. Just to be clear mate I wasn't having a pop at you, I was just building on your point!

2 minutes ago, Greeno1861 said:

Aye. Just to be clear mate I wasn't having a pop at you, I was just building on your point!

Oh no, I never thought you were!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mikebv said:

Spot on...

As someone who grew up in the era of Bomber, Scotty and Rico, having Tai as our number 3 rider is one hell of a statement!

• Like 1

If you replaced Nilsson and Holder with Laguta and Emil I think you'd have one of the strongest lineups in many years. Still at least Holder and Nilsson will keep each other company at the bottom.

Having SO many wildcards, where is the jeopardy? Some riders can just plod along "safe" in the knowledge that they'll get a wildcard if they miss a round due to "injury" if they're having an average season. Those riders who do go through the qualifying series don't come up against these "world class" riders in world championship qualifying events so don't have the opportunity to compete at the level needed to make the grade