British Speedway Forum
eric i

2023 GP line up/wildcards

I expect the we are going to see the Russians back in the league but not in the GPs. If Germany has 2 GPs and Australia still hasn't got 1, it might be Smolinski for Doyle, we all know there is commercial aspect to the picks.

Base on appearances in semi finals, I would give wildcards to:

Dudek (6)

Woffy (6)

Vaculik (4, but missed a round through injury and wasn’t really fit for the first one he came back - plus two wins)

Michelson (6)

Thomson (3 in six rounds, before his injury at the GP Challenge)

Theres no one obviously better than Doyle for the last slot. Fricke won a round but made no other semi finals. Doyle made 5. Žagar maybe?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Noelinho said:

Base on appearances in semi finals, I would give wildcards to:

Dudek (6)

Woffy (6)

Vaculik (4, but missed a round through injury and wasn’t really fit for the first one he came back - plus two wins)

Michelson (6)

Thomson (3 in six rounds, before his injury at the GP Challenge)

Theres no one obviously better than Doyle for the last slot. Fricke won a round but made no other semi finals. Doyle made 5. Žagar maybe?

Fricke is already qualified.

25 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Fricke is already qualified.

Of course he is. It’s not like I watched it or anything!

9 hours ago, 2ndbendbeerhut said:

Can only see Nilsson for Pzedpelski being the only change really.....

Top 6 - Zmarzlik Madsen Janowski Lindgren Lambert Bewley

SGP challenge - Nilsson Holder Fricke

Leaves 6 wildcards

Dudek (tied on points with Bewley)

Woffy (ex world champ)

Vaculik (2022 SGP winner)

Doyle (ex world champ)

Thomsen ( 2022 SGP winner)

Leaving 1 place "up for grabs" for either

Michelsen / Lebedevs / Laguta 

Kubera did himself no favours being poor in challenge 

Will be Michelsen 

Haven't the wild cards been named the day after the last GP in the last few years? I'm assuming there's some issue as regards riders accepting them this year

6 hours ago, DutchGrasstrack said:

Think there will be some news today ;) 

I can feel the earth move already… :blink::lol:

• Haha 1

Dudek, Kubera, Laguta, Sayfutdinov & Vaculik should all get one

Edited by TTT

1 hour ago, TTT said:

Dudek, Kubera, Laguta, Sayfutdinov & Vaculik should all get one

Vaculik's 5th wild card pick in 7 years!!

4 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

He has been unlucky with injury, but like you say 5 in 7 years it’s time to a younger rider a chance a year out won’t do him any harm.Like Woffy probably get aWildcard though.

12 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

It for injury this year he would have been in the top six.

7 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

He has been unlucky with injury, but like you say 5 in 7 years it’s time to a younger rider a chance a year out won’t do him any harm.Like Woffy probably get aWildcard though.

I think he won his first ever GP when he was younger but didn’t “mature”. He took a 3 year sabbatical away from GP about the same time Emil did.  I feel he has the talent to be world champion, just needs to keep away from injury, which is not always easy.

1 hour ago, OveFundinFan said:

just needs to keep away from injury, which is not always easy.

Particularly as you get older...

Thing is, people say about Vaculik and Thomsen getting wild cards because of their injuries, but what about Woffinden?  Granted, he didn't miss full meetings, but he was unfit at Cardiff, and missed a couple of rides. If it hadn't been for that, HE could have made top 6!

• Like 1

I think there might be a bit of a wait for the announcement of the wild cards given the FIMs current ruling on Russian nationals. It's easy to say Laguta & Sayfutinov should get a pick but for the 2022 season they entered as Russian so would not be allowed until they take another federations licence in 2023. Should they declare as Polish will it mean to many Poles in the line up. Also Kolodziej must be in with a chance as runner up in the SEC with Champion Madsen already qualified

23 minutes ago, chunky said:

Particularly as you get older...

Thing is, people say about Vaculik and Thomsen getting wild cards because of their injuries, but what about Woffinden?  Granted, he didn't miss full meetings, but he was unfit at Cardiff, and missed a couple of rides. If it hadn't been for that, HE could have made top 6!

Well, I put Woofy in my pick for next year.

21 minutes ago, Technik said:

I think there might be a bit of a wait for the announcement of the wild cards given the FIMs current ruling on Russian nationals. It's easy to say Laguta & Sayfutinov should get a pick but for the 2022 season they entered as Russian so would not be allowed until they take another federations licence in 2023. Should they declare as Polish will it mean to many Poles in the line up. Also Kolodziej must be in with a chance as runner up in the SEC with Champion Madsen already qualified

I don’t think Kolodzeij gets a spot as a right. He would have to get a pick.

Some have said Vaculik is old, stand him down and let a younger rider step up. I think Kolodzeij is 39, two years older than Doyle, and I would think 6/7 year older then. Vaculik.