British Speedway Forum

4 hours ago, poole keith said:

Would never be enough greyhounds available to reintroduce racing skids,also it was previously the worst run greyhound track in the country and the major betting companies would be very wary of getting involved with poole dogs again

At the time the GI statement said that Poole dogs and trainers would be going to Swindon where they are still operating under GI (presumably successfully) despite the drawn out saga of whether speedway could still operate?!

After receiving the news today I hope your team don’t put the white flag up on track like mine has tonight for the rest of the year 

8 hours ago, HGould said:

Wolverhampton race track has Housing that surrounds it. 

Better chance may be old Chasewater site or old Norton Canes dog track site but they may be developed now too. 

Norton Canes is now flat having been a small garden center, dozen or so houses on one side, never any parking even before though, Chasewater just 1/4 mile from there would have been an option, but 50 years of living here its just a shell of what it was.

Chasewater circa 1977 had a go kart track, Scramble track, regularly held European power boating events, amusements, cafes, 2 boating pools and visited by 1000s every weekend. 

Hours spent riding old slackheaps on crossers after school.

Chasewater 2023 everything above gone replaced by a few craft shops and the unused M6 toll road.

There was a one off Longtrack meeting in 1977 on the mile trotting oval there, that was demolished 30 years back but the oval is still on google  unused, massive area, easily park for 1000s but it was never done.

3 councils border it and dispute rights, years of fighting and neglect nothing ever got done until M6 money rolled in by the bucket.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

At the time the GI statement said that Poole dogs and trainers would be going to Swindon where they are still operating under GI (presumably successfully) despite the drawn out saga of whether speedway could still operate?!

Not quite skids,at the time poole trainers were invited to apply to race at Swindon only a few ended up there,of those, 2 reasonable size ones are left and few small ones,3 race at Oxford  and a couple at Brighton, point im making is that all these ex poole trainers between them  would only have around 150 dogs,these days with tracks running up to 6 meetings per wk to meet live streaming contracts (if poole would ever get one) an absolute minimum of 400 dogs is reqd,so i dont believe greyhounds will ever return to run alongside speedway and make the stadium viable 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rjsj9803 said:

Norton Canes is now flat having been a small garden center, dozen or so houses on one side, never any parking even before though, Chasewater just 1/4 mile from there would have been an option, but 50 years of living here its just a shell of what it was.

Chasewater circa 1977 had a go kart track, Scramble track, regularly held European power boating events, amusements, cafes, 2 boating pools and visited by 1000s every weekend. 

Chasewater 2023 everything above gone replaced by a few craft shops and the unused M6 toll road.

There was a one off Longtrack meeting in 1977 on the mile trotting oval there, that was demolished 30 years back but the oval is still on google  unused, massive area, easily park for 1000s but it was never done.

3 councils border it and dispute rights, years of fighting and neglect nothing ever got done until M6 money rolled in by the bucket.

Thanks for the update.

I have driven down A5 past there many times and its accessibility to Motorway Network always intrigued me.

I remember the Long Track at Chasewater and Norton Canes was mentioned a few times as an option when the Dogs ran there and as you say they are either side of the A5, I guess may be Brownhills is the nearest sizable  Town or is it closer to Cannock?

I suppose you could say its 30 mins away from some decent population areas but also 15 mins away from nowwhere and in the middle of nowhere in terms of the Local Councils (guessing Cannock / Walsall / Lichfield ??)

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, poole keith said:

Not quite skids,at the time poole trainers were invited to apply to race at Swindon only a few ended up there,of those, 2 reasonable size ones are left and few small ones,3 race at Oxford  and a couple at Brighton, point im making is that all these ex poole trainers between them  would only have around 150 dogs,these days with tracks running up to 6 meetings per wk to meet live streaming contracts (if poole would ever get one) an absolute minimum of 400 dogs is reqd,so i dont believe greyhounds will ever return to run alongside speedway and make the stadium viable 

OK I take the point. Your greyhound knowledge is far greater than mine. My point was that Swindon dogs is still run by GI who ran Poole and who you said were the worst operators!

Edited by Skidder1

9 hours ago, rjsj9803 said:

A pretty good summary of what was and where we are now, except I think the old Norton Cannes greyhound stadium has been pretty much built all over, I think the biggest stumbling block has always been who actually owns the Chasewater site ?, and secondly on the borders of three different Councils, I actually think Chasewater could be a goer if ownership could be established.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Chasewater+Railway+-+(Brownhills+West,+Station)/@52.6585993,-1.938304,549m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m6!3m5!1s0x4870a0f593bb74c7:0x4362b64655aeadec!8m2!3d52.6627769!4d-1.9528404!16zL20vMDNiem5w

Thats the outline of the old Trotting Track, Long Track that was held there years ago, and I can still see the outline of the Greyhound Track, which gives you an idea of how big the whole site is.

Edited by heathen52
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Skidder1 said:

OK I take the point. Your greyhound knowledge is far greater than mine. My point was that Swindon dogs is still run by GI who ran Poole and who you said were the worst operators!

No i said poole was the worst run dog track.In the interest of other forum members sanity im imposing  a 28 day ban on myself from posting about the dogs

1 minute ago, poole keith said:

.....In the interest of other forum members sanity I'm imposing  a 28 day ban on myself from posting about the dogs

So "You've gone to the dogs" then? :D

• Haha 1

Oh dear ! Another club enters its last season. :-(  Wolves was always looking doubtful after a programme piece by the present CVS /Peter Adams team last season.  The loss of the leasehold agreement makes things look like a "Fait Accompli" whatever the current promoters intentions were.

Hard to see in the current economic climate  anyone making a  circa £250k investment to get a new standalone speedway track up and running. 

13 hours ago, HGould said:

Thanks for the update.

I have driven down A5 past there many times and its accessibility to Motorway Network always intrigued me.

I remember the Long Track at Chasewater and Norton Canes was mentioned a few times as an option when the Dogs ran there and as you say they are either side of the A5, I guess may be Brownhills is the nearest sizable  Town or is it closer to Cannock?

I suppose you could say its 30 mins away from some decent population areas but also 15 mins away from nowwhere and in the middle of nowhere in terms of the Local Councils (guessing Cannock / Walsall / Lichfield ??)

Chasewater itself is only a couple minutes walk from all sides Chasetown, Norton Canes and Brownhills.

The closest houses to the longtrack-trotting track are maybe 1/4 mile in Brownhills on the main drag A5 and Whitehorse Road.

I dont know the political state of the site, yes i believe it would have been those 3 councils, the waters get muddier though as the Staffordshire-West Mids border runs through Chasewater it is listed under Staffs council, yet the postcode and majority is in West Mids.

It is maybe to far from Monmore about 12 mile, but you couldn't get better road links, the carpark is off the A5 dual carriage way, parking room for 1000s and basics of a track still there, shame the stadium got burned down but potentially a great site, but all i have seen in 50 years is detiriaton of amenities there and since M6 toll came.

Hopefully a solution with Monmore is found, great local press coverage today, get the councillors to wobble heads its a no brainer.

How's about :

'Having given it due consideration we have decided to extend Wolverhampton Speedway's lease by 12 months to allow them more time to find an alternative venue'.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Wolfsbane said:

How's about :

'Having given it due consideration we have decided to extend Wolverhampton Speedway's lease by 12 months to allow them more time to find an alternative venue'.

That's the sensible solution 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, noaksey said:

That's the sensible solution 

That's what Edinburgh have. But I wonder is a year long enough to relocate? Especially if you have to build a new track and stadium as well. How long did it take Workington? Although could always track share with Leicester if needed more than 12 months til new place was ready? 

Edited by lisa-colette