British Speedway Forum
Garry1603

Belle Vue 2023

On 11/12/2022 at 9:30 AM, PhilTheAce said:

He’s moved to Dackarna. He’s asking for silly money but still think we will pay it. So yes. I think he will be out no1

This is what I don't like - riders thinking they can demand Poland money for riding here which then threatens the very existence of clubs.  British speedway does not have the same budgets or income.  I'd tell him this is all we can afford, like it or don't bother.

I don't think Belle Vue will get both Bewley & Zagar because it's financial suicide.

Even Polish clubs aren't signing Zagar due to his asking price. 

37 minutes ago, wtf said:

It's not the riders wage demands that puts the club or any other club at risk, it's the idiots running the club who choose to pay what they can't afford that puts the club at risk. It isn't the riders responsibility to make sure their wages are affordable to a club. If someone is stupid enough to pay stupid money, that's on them. I mean, who the hell would pay £15K for 3 meetings? Depends on what it's worth to them. Promotors need to stop blaming riders wage demands for the insolvency of their businesses. If you can't afford Rider A, don't employ them. 

Exactly the point I made.

2 hours ago, wtf said:

It's not the riders wage demands that puts the club or any other club at risk, it's the idiots running the club who choose to pay what they can't afford that puts the club at risk. It isn't the riders responsibility to make sure their wages are affordable to a club. If someone is stupid enough to pay stupid money, that's on them. I mean, who the hell would pay £15K for 3 meetings? Depends on what it's worth to them. Promotors need to stop blaming riders wage demands for the insolvency of their businesses. If you can't afford Rider A, don't employ them. 

Someone desperate to win, maybe with a top notch solicitor ;).

Agree with the rest as well.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, SPEEDY69 said:

This is what I don't like - riders thinking they can demand Poland money for riding here which then threatens the very existence of clubs.  British speedway does not have the same budgets or income.  I'd tell him this is all we can afford, like it or don't bother.

They never learn,bringing back riders who are bankrupting the sport over here.

Edited by Fromafar
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, SPEEDY69 said:

I think if any rider asked for Poland money in the UK they'd be given short shrift.

I'd say about 20% of Poland is probably silly money in this country, such is the gulf.

Riding in Britain can’t be an attractive prospect. Having to fly in and out for meetings, having to run extra kit, the added injury risks that come with more meetings. Some of the top guys want to ride here and have their reasons, for those who don’t the answer probably is offering them silly money. That is a big problem because clubs can’t afford it. The sport here wants to operate at a level higher than that of the riders willing to race here. The knock on from that has a negative impact all the way down the British Leagues. Time for us to cut our cloth accordingly rather than hope there will be a sudden influx of riders who haven’t raced here for a few years, a lot of whom didn’t want to be here before the Poland leagues rule was put in place. 

• Like 1

Essentially it's going to be a handful of riders who have ridden here before and enjoy the challenge of British tracks.

• Like 1

Bewley is perfectly within his rights to ask for a lot more money than his last Belle Vue contract and would be crazy not to…it’s up the club to decide how many extra fans he would bring in and ideally get the sponsorship required to do the deal.

• Like 1

The money situation is why Leicester have gone with the team that they have for 2023, Lots of riders show an interest but also think that because the club is moving up and have good sponsorship that they will pay massive money .

2 hours ago, Bruiser said:

Bewley is perfectly within his rights to ask for a lot more money than his last Belle Vue contract and would be crazy not to…

Bewley isn't a problem.  Belle Vue have a budget and he fits within it.   My sources Cambridgeshire way say it's another club who are throwing silly money around and have been tapping up Peterborough riders, which caused yesterday's delay as it threatened to destroy a deal for the Panthers Premiership future.

12 hours ago, TTT said:

I don't think Belle Vue will get both Bewley & Zagar because it's financial suicide.

Even Polish clubs aren't signing Zagar due to his asking price. 

Zagar  isn't even a number one. Lawson is as good in the Uk. 

9 minutes ago, RoundTheBoards said:

Bewley isn't a problem.  Belle Vue have a budget and he fits within it.   My sources Cambridgeshire way say it's another club who are throwing silly money around and have been tapping up Peterborough riders, which caused yesterday's delay as it threatened to destroy a deal for the Panthers Premiership future.

King's Lynn 

2 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

Essentially it's going to be a handful of riders who have ridden here before and enjoy the challenge of British tracks.

They earn so much in Poland even in the 2nd division, some can't be arsed.