British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

Warsaw GP Saturday May 13th 2023

Cracking GP from the first heat. I’m not a Holder fan but he must feel robbed, and rightly so. The referee had two decision to make, both involving Zmarzlik, and my view is he got both right. The first one was cut and dried, the second one seems to be controversial. If you watch a rerun and keep your eye on BZ from when he drew level with Doyle as they came off bend 2, then you’ll see he didn’t deviate from his line. After he was ahead of Doyle, Doyle turned into him and Doyle did the Chris Harris jump off (something Doyle criticised Harris for doing!) 

Doyle is usually the master of histrionics but he seemed to take his disqualification more calmly. No pushing cameras away or flouncing into his pit bay. That suggests to me he knew the disqualification was fair. 

• Like 3

I thought it was an enjoyable GP.

I seem to be in the minority here in thinking the refs decision in the final was a reasonable one. Just a shame for Holder that the result wasn't awarded. The other positions weren't in doubt when the incident happened, but I presume awarding wasn't an option?

I thought the two incidents where riders lost out due to riders in front losing control might have merited more discussion.

Both Bewley and Kowalski had to shut off to avoid out of control opponents and they lost positions due to this, which seems unfair.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, HenryW said:

Both Bewley and Kowalski had to shut off to avoid out of control opponents and they lost positions due to this, which seems unfair.

Unfair riding used to be a reason to exclude a rider, in Britain at least, don't know if it still is or if it's an FIM reg

1 hour ago, 89buttons said:

I always preferred the points you score being the points you get, getting in a final on 8 and being awarded 20 if you win it is a joke 

Is it really a joke that the winner of the GP gets the most points?

1 minute ago, chunky said:

Is it really a joke that the winner of the GP gets the most points?

Yes, because in a speedway GP it is not only one race, it is five heats, two semis, and a final, and points are there to be scored in each and any of these 23 events. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bavarian said:

Yes, because in a speedway GP it is not only one race, it is five heats, two semis, and a final, and points are there to be scored in each and any of these 23 events. 

That is irrelevant. I don't necessarily like the current points system,  but the winner of a GP SHOULD get the most points. There are better alternatives...

I am away on holidays at present so I won't be seeing this GP until at least Thursday. Judging by the comments this was a call that could have gone either way. It did however go in favour of a home rider which does create doubts in fans thoughts. 

I've just searched the live updates site for the decision to exclude Sayfutdinov at Wroclaw in 2021, when Janowski came from behind at speed and clattered into Emil. As the referee was contemplating his decision the home crowd were chanting Janowski over and over again to pressure the referee. Like Warsaw the referee went the way of the home rider. It was however a different referee. 

I will watch the meeting with Interest when I get home. I am getting frustrated with home ground special decisions in other sports, particularly  cricket. Hopefully that is not permeating it's way into speedway.

Edited by gbrussell

7 hours ago, Falubaz said:

Bullrubbish. Doyle did what Neymar is famous of. 

Since when was Neymar in SGP.:blink:

7 hours ago, Wee Eck said:

Cracking GP from the first heat. I’m not a Holder fan but he must feel robbed, and rightly so. The referee had two decision to make, both involving Zmarzlik, and my view is he got both right. The first one was cut and dried, the second one seems to be controversial. If you watch a rerun and keep your eye on BZ from when he drew level with Doyle as they came off bend 2, then you’ll see he didn’t deviate from his line. After he was ahead of Doyle, Doyle turned into him and Doyle did the Chris Harris jump off (something Doyle criticised Harris for doing!) 

Doyle is usually the master of histrionics but he seemed to take his disqualification more calmly. No pushing cameras away or flouncing into his pit bay. That suggests to me he knew the disqualification was fair. 

Or revenge is a dish best served cold? :D

Zmarslik seems to have become an untouchable force in the gps. Everyone is s@#&t scared to race him, the amount of room he was given to pass on the back straight was laughable. Imo he was never getting excluded in the final, Doyle could have stayed on but what would that have achieved….

Edited by Chrisdonnelly

51 minutes ago, Chrisdonnelly said:

Zmarslik seems to have become an untouchable force in the gps

This maybe the  case IMO it is not down to the other rider's fear  but due to the fact he is at the top of his game and in a real purple patch ,all the great riders have these periods .Bart great skill is the speed he generates on the bike as to racing room I think that is something he creates himself and  in most cases affords his fellow riders .

With regards to "fear factor" that is Doyle's stock- in- trade he  has used throughout his entire career ,the school bully ended up on his bum last night  rightly or wrongly !

Edited by FAST GATER
  • Like 1

Referee decision on Doyle vs Zmarzlik was definitely correct. Its hardly the first time Doyle tries a move like that and perhaps the referees hold him accountable for it. It was the same with Nicki Pedersen who were really hard on the others but was quick to play the victim when others were hard on him.

However I agree that the race should have been awarded to Jack.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ghostwalker said:

Referee decision on Doyle vs Zmarzlik was definitely correct. Its hardly the first time Doyle tries a move like that and perhaps the referees hold him accountable for it. It was the same with Nicki Pedersen who were really hard on the others but was quick to play the victim when others were hard on him.

However I agree that the race should have been awarded to Jack.

So your saying Doyle was excluded for things he has done in the past.

Watched the incident back a few times and still come to the same conclusion, Zmarzlik knocked Doyle off, it clear and its simple. The referee bottled.

Edited by screm
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Chrisdonnelly said:

Zmarslik seems to have become an untouchable force in the gps. Everyone is s@#&t scared to race him, the amount of room he was given to pass on the back straight was laughable. Imo he was never getting excluded in the final, Doyle could have stayed on but what would that have achieved….

Agree with you, how many times do we see Zmarzlik get a clear run down the back straight on the first lap, riders need to be moving over to block his run, though after knocking off Doyle last night Zmarzlik would likely call all kinds of mayhem.