British Speedway Forum

17 hours ago, bruno said:

Have to agree well worth every penny, my only gripe is I can't get it on my TV and have to watch on a laptop. I'm sure a techy could sort it tho. A BSN app would be good but again I've no idea if that's possible and the cost to BSN. il definitely be signing up again next year

I'm not that tech savvy but the main advantage of BSN over some of the club streams for me is that it gives me the option to Chromecast to my TV.

When we bought our TV a good few years ago it was all a bit of a minefield as smart TV'S varied considerably as to how smart they were and I didn't want to spend a fortune so the salesman recommended buying a Google Chromecast which at the time was about £30 but I think you can get them cheaper now. It's been worth every penny and so easy to use. I just start the stream on my phone and click on the 'cast' icon and the Chromecast which is plugged into the back of the TV takes over the stream and it's just the same as watching  a TV broadcast. I don't even need to touch the telly, it instantly comes on the screen as soon as  the cast option is selected. My wife won a Firestick which I believe is similar but I can't get on  with that! Chromecast is simplicity itself though. I'm sure you can cast from a laptop too although I haven't got one so never tried.

I can only echo what others have said in praising BSN though. I can't justify a full subscription as I can rarely watch the live events but I quite often buy to watch on catch-up which is cheaper and the odd weekend live fixture if I'm home. 

• Like 1

il get one of sons to look into it, I have got a Roku stick. Not sure if it will work thru that. Got the winter to sort it out for next year. Casting from my phone looks an option tho

I used to be able to stream through my Samsung smart TV but its stopped working now on Both sets, Lounge and Bedroom.

Can only get it working on my iMac and laptop?

Just to add my tuppence worth.

The BSN team are a joy to work with none of the dictatorial way Sky, BT and guessing Eurosport used to behave.

• Like 1

On 10/18/2022 at 2:21 PM, jduffill said:

You’re welcome - I’m pleased we got you sorted! Thanks for your support of BSN this year.

Since a BSN person has entered the thread, I’d like to add one feature request: the ability to send to Chromecast from Apple devices. It’s fiddly to do it from my Android phone, and if I could do it from my iPad instead, it would be much nicer. Other than that, it’s been really good, after the issues at the start of the season were sorted.

It’s extremely easy to send to my smart tv from an iPhone with screen mirroring. In fact it couldn’t be easier. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Noelinho said:

Since a BSN person has entered the thread, I’d like to add one feature request: the ability to send to Chromecast from Apple devices. It’s fiddly to do it from my Android phone, and if I could do it from my iPad instead, it would be much nicer. Other than that, it’s been really good, after the issues at the start of the season were sorted.

Hi Noelinho.

You can Chromecast from an Apple device, but you have to do it through our IOS App which can be downloaded from the Apple App Store. Please search for ‘BSN App’ and log in using your existing details. The App is free to download and use.

Apple don’t allow the ability to Chromecast  our videos via a web browser which I believe is due to a licensing issue. That’s the reason that we chose to develop the IOS App which bypasses this.

I hope that helps!

Ben Duffill

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Noelinho said:

Out of interest, how so?

My phone is Android and I just start the broadcast on my phone and the cast symbol is at the bottom of the video window. I just touch on that and the list of available devices pops up, I select my Chromecast and it's instantly on my TV so I can't see how much simpler it can be? 

You are using the Chromecast and not the screen mirroring option?  That's a different thing and is a faff!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, jduffill said:

Hi Noelinho.

You can Chromecast from an Apple device, but you have to do it through our IOS App which can be downloaded from the Apple App Store. Please search for ‘BSN App’ and log in using your existing details. The App is free to download and use.

Apple don’t allow the ability to Chromecast  our videos via a web browser which I believe is due to a licensing issue. That’s the reason that we chose to develop the IOS App which bypasses this.

I hope that helps!

Ben Duffill

It does. You should mention the app more - I had no idea it existed!

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

It’s extremely easy to send to my smart tv from an iPhone with screen mirroring. In fact it couldn’t be easier. 

In my experience the mirroring is always jumpy and not very smooth, is this dependant on WiFi, phone and TV quality? 

2 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

In my experience the mirroring is always jumpy and not very smooth, is this dependant on WiFi, phone and TV quality? 

Yes it is.  I had to use this option on Glasgow streams as it seems there weren't permissions to cast. 

I've only got a basic cheapy phone and it couldn't cope so I had to use my wife's top end phone and even then it wasn't ideal.

The beauty of using a Chromecast device is that you only need your phone to log on to BSN and start the broadcast. After you have selected the Chromecast device from your casting options, the stream goes directly from your WIFI to the Chromecast device which is plugged into an HDMI port on the TV and your phone is then basically redundant except to use as a remote control through the Google Home app.

I've only got cheap equipment but it works fine even in my summer house at the bottom of the garden which only has a basic TV which isn't even smart. It just needs HDMI ports.

Once you have paired the Chromecast to your WiFi on initial setup, you can just put it in any TV in the house without any further setting up.

For an outlay of £20 for an older version of Chromecast and any TV with an HDMI port the jobs a good 'un. It works for me anyway. Perhaps others would like to share what works for them as it might help others that are struggling?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/23/2022 at 12:40 PM, Bagpuss said:

Might be your Wi-Fi, tv, phone. I screen mirror to my smart tv with no issues whatsoever. I have an iPhone 13 pro Max. Sony smart tv. Wi-Fi. Crystal clear non buffering HD stream. Use mirroring for YouTube all the time no issues. 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Might be your Wi-Fi, tv, phone. I screen mirror to my smart tv with no issues whatsoever. I have an iPhone 13 pro Max. Sony smart tv. Wi-Fi. Crystal clear non buffering HD stream. Use mirroring for YouTube all the time no issues. 

Amazing what you can do with a phone nowadays :nono:

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Will the older chrome cast version work just as well if WiFi ,Tv And phone are decent.?