British Speedway Forum

Trophies are a bonus but  surely no promoter gets into speedway to come second.Glasgow is an excellent club but be honest can you say your  promoter is happy with their considerable investment they make every season and I'm only going On what's been said on here I've no idea what they invest in £'s to not win trophies.Poole have the Ford's who despite what has been said on here is a "jumped up hairdresser " knows how to build winning teams and this last season we had an excellent track as for one sided meetings yes a few but I would love for every meeting to be close and you would think as all sides build to the same points pre season you would get close meetings but  that is not the case,still it is what it is and look forward to next season and who knows what 7 Poole will start with well we know 4 we all guess the rest.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Essex said:

Trophies are a bonus but  surely no promoter gets into speedway to come second.Glasgow is an excellent club but be honest can you say your  promoter is happy with their considerable investment they make every season and I'm only going On what's been said on here I've no idea what they invest in £'s to not win trophies.Poole have the Ford's who despite what has been said on here is a "jumped up hairdresser " knows how to build winning teams and this last season we had an excellent track as for one sided meetings yes a few but I would love for every meeting to be close and you would think as all sides build to the same points pre season you would get close meetings but  that is not the case,still it is what it is and look forward to next season and who knows what 7 Poole will start with well we know 4 we all guess the rest.

Who is saying they are investing money to not win, or to come second? That’s clearly not what’s being said.

8 hours ago, Essex said:

What do you actually get for winning? Are there any financial benefits? Winning put Workington out of business a couple of years back!! Who outside a few hundred hardcore fans actually cares about who wins what? 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, phillipsr said:

What do you actually get for winning? Are there any financial benefits? Winning put Workington out of business a couple of years back!! Who outside a few hundred hardcore fans actually cares about who wins what? 

First poiny - winning didn’t put Workington out of business. It was years of over trading and late paying that did that. They were going to fail at some point but the winning streak just speeded that up.

As far as financial benefits are concerned, ask Poole how much they made from the play off final. Or Leicester how much they expected to make. These are £30,000-£40,000 events with costs the same as a normal league event. And winning teams, promoted well, encourage more support.

In my opinion. . 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Wee Eck said:

First poiny - winning didn’t put Workington out of business. It was years of over trading and late paying that did that. They were going to fail at some point but the winning streak just speeded that up.

As far as financial benefits are concerned, ask Poole how much they made from the play off final. Or Leicester how much they expected to make. These are £30,000-£40,000 events with costs the same as a normal league event. And winning teams, promoted well, encourage more support.

In my opinion. . 

The play offs are a money spinner, no doubt about it. Any team in the play offs makes quite a bit extra and I can tell you winning them is a great feeling. Poole is usually packed, especially for the final, Leicester would have been had they managed to stage it at their own track. 

19 minutes ago, Wee Eck said:

In my opinion. . 

Not being able to pay the amount of money promised to the Team assembled to win put them out of business is another way of putting it.Did the riders ever get the money they were owed.

On 12/6/2022 at 8:53 PM, Mr Blobby said:

I know our full 1-7 thanks and it’s no losing 6 figures a year either.  

But we are considerably , considerably richer than you 

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Noelinho said:

Exactly that. Trophies are a bonus when you have great racing. If you don’t have great racing, they’re the only thing… and then, the numbers don’t add up. The best thing about the Facennas isn’t the money thrown at riders, it’s the investment in the track and the product. Plus a great team of track staff - Paul, Chris and the others invest incredible hours putting it together during the season and they almost always get it spot on, which isn’t always easy with our weather.

We had that conversation at Shawfield back in the glory years when we were thumping everyone at home . It does actually get boring after a while . Give me what we have now every time , and if we manage to win something - fine , if not then as long as the entertainment on view stays the same . 

• Like 9

9 minutes ago, Paulco said:

We had that conversation at Shawfield back in the glory years when we were thumping everyone at home . It does actually get boring after a while . Give me what we have now every time , and if we manage to win something - fine , if not then as long as the entertainment on view stays the same . 

Yeah I'd rather watch a 46-44 match than a 60-30 match but with the aggregate score being introduced my view on that may change.

Of course the ongoing problem with aggregate scores when riders are missing for whatever reason, meetings cut short due to weather etc is always going to keep The Forum kicking on :)

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Paulco said:

Similar at Lynn 2005-09.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Fromafar said:

One thing guaranteed at Ashfield is entertaining speedway on a great raceway.

Agreed

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

37 minutes ago, Paulco said:

Bang on Paulco. We are so lucky to have a racers track with so many different racing lines which provides excitement pretty consistently. As I’ve said before, it’s the reason we find it hard to win trophies because most riders love riding here. With the reintroduction of the aggregate bonus point (big mistake), I think we will suffer even more as we don’t have the home track advantage like some other teams do. Like you say though, I’d far rather be entertained every meeting than watch a bore fest in order just to be able to say we won a trophy. 

• Like 1

I wonder when our next team member announcement will be........Monday this week, missed Wednesday......this Monday?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ragdoll64 said:

Bang on Paulco. We are so lucky to have a racers track with so many different racing lines which provides excitement pretty consistently. As I’ve said before, it’s the reason we find it hard to win trophies because most riders love riding here. With the reintroduction of the aggregate bonus point (big mistake), I think we will suffer even more as we don’t have the home track advantage like some other teams do. Like you say though, I’d far rather be entertained every meeting than watch a bore fest in order just to be able to say we won a trophy. 

Our home averages were higher than any other teams last year. Our away performances is why we didn't win anything nothing to do with ashfield 

1 hour ago, Jaizer said:

Our home averages were higher than any other teams last year. Our away performances is why we didn't win anything nothing to do with ashfield 

You’re correct but I still think, because of the fairness of our track, we cannot achieve the same home winning gaps as some others can and that will have an effect now that we’re back to the aggregate bonus point. That doesn’t particularly worry me but it will worry the trophy chasing fans.