British Speedway Forum

5 hours ago, JanAndersen said:

What’s the thinking with Cook? Always get the feeling he’s on the brink of chucking it tbh. 

He started the season well, had quite a dip that wasn't helped by some really bad luck with bikes and a few visits to the polyfoam (and the crashes didn't help the equipment woes), that weren't his fault, but he came back strong in the British final.

He's better than his average still, for me. Probably not a ten pointer, but good value as long as he's in the right frame of mind, which is the risk.

I'd choose Basso over Craig if I had to take one, because he's just too exciting, but I'd happily have both back.

He's a bit of a moaner but I wouldn't mistake that for lack of desire - more frustration, for me. He always looks more relaxed talking to people after matches. I think he just wants to be left to produce his best on track without any distractions, and I can understand that.

Vissing was great at #3 in 2019. I'd happily take him back too. He can moan all he likes in the pits... I don't stand there!

Edited by Noelinho
  • Haha 2

50 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

I doubt very much it's 'up' in quality of racing (BV excepted) or regularity of fixtures but it undoubtedly is in terms of quality. Lots of riders the same of course but no Doyle, Lambert, Fricke, Zagar, Kurtz, Holder, Museilak etc in the Championship.

So seven riders different one of which was there for about a fortnight. It’s essentially about one better rider per team. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, JanAndersen said:

So seven riders different one of which was there for about a fortnight. It’s essentially about one better rider per team. 

It's probably two when you factor in the other half a dozen who ride in the Prem and not the Champs, I expect another six to eight to reappear next season now the Poles have relaxed the rules.

I'm not here to defend the top division as its been shambolic this season and has one decent track in it but there's no doubt its a step up in quality of rider.

• Like 1

Lawson is a non starter & has had his stint at Glasgow & southern based now so never going to happen. Glasgow will keep Brennan & Bailey only & probably sign Starke & try for Pickering if Edinburgh don’t run. 

45 minutes ago, Diablo said:

Lawson is a non starter & has had his stint at Glasgow & southern based now so never going to happen. Glasgow will keep Brennan & Bailey only & probably sign Starke & try for Pickering if Edinburgh don’t run. 

Pickering wants a mid week race night next season. Birmingham, Plymouth, poole, Oxford don't know where he will go.

52 minutes ago, Diablo said:

I’m sure Bailey’s heading elsewhere.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, lewy said:

Pickering wants a mid week race night next season. Birmingham, Plymouth, poole, Oxford don't know where he will go.

The first one.

1 hour ago, lewy said:

Definitely not Poole, got enough choice of HL as it is and they all have lower averages than Josh! 

2 hours ago, Diablo said:

Lawson is he, wouldn’t be so sure.

1. Ben Basso

2. Paul Starke

3. Craig Cook

4. Danyon Hume

5. Tom Brennan

6. Connor Bailey

7. RS or 2.61

Based on a 41 point limit with rising stars or a 39 point limit without

I think Ben at 1 would be outstanding but I genuinely cannot see him coming back. 

Cookie I’m sure is moving on but who else could be have at 1?

I'd like to see Marcin Nowak do a full season in the stripes and I think Paul Starke should be on the team sheet for next season.

He's been a good servant but I think Cookie will need a new challenge elsewhere if he is to keep any enthusiasm for the sport.

As much as it would be nice see Ben back I can't help but think he and Tom maybe have more ambitious plans for their careers and will both want to step up their level of competition. Maybe if Glasgow moved up a division they would stay but I can't see a change of race night being in the Promotion's plans.

Perhaps Glasgow can put their Australian  and Danish contacts to use and Fraser Bowes may be worth taking a chance on and perhaps there is some other young Dane on the edges of breaking through. I mean if we can help Berwick secure a good 'un we must be able to find another for ourselves. (Would be nice to see our asset Anders Thomson back but again I think ambition may be the obstacle).

Edited by cinderfella
  • Thanks 1

Think the fall out after the promoters conference could be interesting.  The rumour is that the points limit in our league will drop to around the 39/40 point mark . I assume this is to re-establish more of a gap between us and the Premiership rather than some misguided money saving exercise.  

The excuses levelled in the past at the amount of riders performing in both leagues was - " not enough riders " or " we need to be in both leagues to make it pay " . Well it looks like a good few of the Championship heat leaders will be forced to give up the second tier which won't go down well . 

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Paulco said:

Think the fall out after the promoters conference could be interesting.  The rumour is that the points limit in our league will drop to around the 39/40 point mark . I assume this is to re-establish more of a gap between us and the Premiership rather than some misguided money saving exercise.  

The excuses levelled in the past at the amount of riders performing in both leagues was - " not enough riders " or " we need to be in both leagues to make it pay " . Well it looks like a good few of the Championship heat leaders will be forced to give up the second tier which won't go down well . 

The sport is a shambles ,no doubt admission prices will not reflect the drop  in wages they will expect the lesser riders to take.Self interest as usual.

The shambolic fixture list of this season will have to be sorted out for next year or crowd level will only decrease.

• Like 2