British Speedway Forum

2 hours ago, Gazc said:

With Edinburgh almost assured then it wouldn’t make any sense financially to move up.

Two meetings a season against Edinburgh who bring across 50 fans is hardly going to influence any decision about moving up a league. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Paulco said:

Who cares , they're back . They can have another farewell meeting next year if they want 

Quite.  Speaking generally on the subject of farewell meetings, we never had one at Hull. In 1981 when speedway ended at the Boulevard; huge shock years of 2 hours enjoyment once a week - gone, don't think anyone saw it coming, was reported the very next nite in local paper, Hull Daily Mail.  Similar with speedway ending at Craven Park in 2005 with 2 matches outstanding, though thinking back and reading between the lines, prob less of a massive though unpleasant surprise, still upsetting.  Same as happeend at Worky; following a very successful season + massive wage bill due to the many pastings handed out, financial issues affecting the next season.  Least if fans see a farewell meeting they get to say 'goodbye' to their team & track (though hopefully not forever) they have some kind of closure.  Makes a difference.  My advice, as always 'enjoy your speedway while you can, wherever & however you get to enjoy it'.  But good news for Monarchs fans, Scottish speedway and speedway in general....

Edited by martinmauger
spelling x2, sigh.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Edin03 said:

Ah but. You heard it here first (well sort of)......   :D

On 10/15/2022 at 4:55 PM, False dawn said:

To be completely correct (given that there is another meeting schedule there next Friday) this meeting should be titled:

The Last But One Farewell to Armadale (unless we sneak another year here) Scottish Open Championship @ Edinburgh

But everyone would have to buy new programme boards to fit the programme if they printed that as the title. 

Edit: All joking aside, Congratulations to the Edinburgh promotion on securing another year at Armadale.
And a sincere hope that the future of speedway in Edinburgh can be secured going forward.

Edited by False dawn
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Nickinho said:

Two meetings a season against Edinburgh who bring across 50 fans is hardly going to influence any decision about moving up a league. 

They have mellowed to the infamous race night flyer sure it has increased to 52.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Gazc said:

With Edinburgh almost assured then it wouldn’t make any sense financially to move up.

I wonder what would work out more - the fans that Edinburgh bring to Glasgow for their 2/4/6 meetings, or Edinburgh fans that would go through to watch Premiership speedway? Can't be much difference.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JCookie said:

I wonder what would work out more - the fans that Edinburgh bring to Glasgow for their 2/4/6 meetings, or Edinburgh fans that would go through to watch Premiership speedway? Can't be much difference.

They wouldnt come to watch six championship riders and a slightly better rider of the Zagar, Kurtz level and neither would I. GP Challenge there were plenty but the field was superb.

9 hours ago, SunnyLeith said:

So you expect to see 22 heats of speedway, a firework display and hear a piper all for nothing? Get real. 

In fact you could see three pi(j)pers on display !!

No   I expect a meeting that is called a farewell meeting at a stadium to be just that  .. So many Mugs in speedway it's unreal . 

10 minutes ago, orion said:

No   I expect a meeting that is called a farewell meeting at a stadium to be just that  .. So many Mugs in speedway it's unreal . 

That’s Speedway.

29 minutes ago, orion said:

Great point. They should abandon plans for next season for this very reason. So many mugs in speedway it’s unreal. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, orion said:

Did you not notice the next weeks fixture then.!!!

1 hour ago, orion said:

Again you’ve not a clue. 

Terms have only been agreed in the last week at the point of the farewell meeting there was no agreement at all and were not running in 2023 at that point. 

Edited by Mr Blobby
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, JanAndersen said:

Great point. They should abandon plans for next season for this very reason. So many mugs in speedway it’s unreal. 

No do the same next year . .its a money spinner . 

23 minutes ago, Mr Blobby said:

Again you’ve not a clue. 

Terms have only been agreed in the last week at the point of the farewell meeting there was no agreement at all and we’re not running in 2023 at that point. 

Yea i remember them telling the fans that they were in advance  talks before the meeting . maybe it slipped  there minds :rofl:

6 minutes ago, orion said:

Yea i remember them telling the fans that they were in advance  talks before the meeting . maybe it slipped  there minds :rofl:

Talks but at that point in time nothing was agreed. Obviously you’re not quite the sharpest tool in the shed and struggling to understand that bit. 

1 hour ago, orion said:

It was the Scottish Open, a meeting that’s staged every year and was scheduled this year to be the farewell meeting. It would have been staged even it wasn’t the final meeting at Armadale. 
There’s enough to be cynical about in Speedway without making stuff up.

• Like 1