British Speedway Forum
Bojangles

Oxford Cheetahs 2023

58 minutes ago, crescent girl said:

Its no warmer, or drier, in April than it is in October!

It's slightly warmer in October, but nearly twice as much rain in October compared to April.

6 hours ago, auntie doris said:

It's slightly warmer in October, but nearly twice as much rain in October compared to April.

Don't remind me...it still irks that the "Cheetahs" didn't achieve a clean sweep in 1986 due to late October weather. They attempted to run the League Cup and Knock Out Finals three times at Cowley. It was decided to share the trophies but I felt we were the victors personally having gained the initiative in the away legs. We were also denied a 100% League record (winning all our away meetings) with two meetings left un-run.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Don't remind me...it still irks that the "Cheetahs" didn't achieve a clean sweep in 1986 due to late October weather. They attempted to run the League Cup and Knock Out Finals three times at Cowley. It was decided to share the trophies but I felt we were the victors personally having gained the initiative in the away legs. We were also denied a 100% League record (winning all our away meetings) with two meetings left un-run.

What a team that was. Got to be the best team in British Speedway history. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bojangles said:

What a team that was. Got to be the best team in British Speedway history. 

Others will no doubt give other examples but no one dominated a season as Oxford did that year (remember every team had to declare a junior that season). Personally I felt that the signing of Per Sorensen turned a good team into a great team. Swindon's loss was very much Oxford's gain and he must have been "chuffed to bits" to score a paid maximum on his return to Blunsden on that glorious occasion we hammered the "old enemy". A great bunch of riders all worth a mention...Hans Nielsen, Simon Wigg, Marvyn Cox, Andy Grahame, Per Sorensen, Nigel De'ath and Jon Surman.

On 10/28/2022 at 1:23 PM, auntie doris said:

Too much variation for that to be a factor plus also the heaviness/frequency/time of day is important. Heavy rain on a Tuesday every week in October compared to lighter rain every day in April would still give similar rainfall figures but you'd get more meetings run in October. 

Dilon Ruml has stated he won't be with the Cheetahs in 2023. Doesn't appear to have anything lined up at present.

56 minutes ago, Hilly said:

Dilon Ruml has stated he won't be with the Cheetahs in 2023. Doesn't appear to have anything lined up at present.

Poole?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hilly said:

Not sure our team building would fit him in but he was very assured round Armadale this season. I'd take him in the Monarchs team.

11 hours ago, Hilly said:

strange as he showed signs of improving on a few occasions.

wonder if he'll pair up with his mate Broc somewhere?

Broc seems to be really struggling with shoulder injuries and confidence though so not sure where they could go.

Hopefully NOT Birmingham as not sure either would  be increasng their averages much in 2023.

Does Dillon still have work permit qualification as didn't he miss out on top spots in US Finals last year? (just something in the back of my mind about that).

11 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

Poole?

if anyone knows you do so we can take it as a done deal then :t:                                          

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Hilly said:

Massive shame if this is true. He improved throughout 2022 and only has the potential to get even better in my opinion. Would have been my first name on the teamsheet for 2023.

Edited by Bojangles
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ray c said:

if anyone knows you do so we can take it as a done deal then :t:                                          

It was a question, not a statement.