British Speedway Forum
*JJ

Birmingham Brummies 2023

10 hours ago, uk_martin said:

Does it really?

If you want to go you WILL go, whether it's £18 or £20. 

Looking at the 2007 season, there was an average attendance of 2,500 - 3,000, paying £14.00 admission (full fare). There were 30 fixtures that season, so the seasons spend could have been up to £420 in admission alone.

The 2023 season promises 11 fixtures for certain, at £20 per meeting = £220 for the years activities. Possibly a bit more IF the Brummies make it into the play-off's, semi-finals of the KOC etc. (No guarantees of that judging by the team managers trophy cabinet)

So a seasons worth of speedway now promises to be £200 more affordable than it was 15 years ago. And predicted attendances are anyone's guess, but hopefully higher than the 400 - 450 average last year.

So, the bigger question is...who wants to go any more, at any price?

I have the attitude as you do if you want to go you will go.I realise money is tight but how tight,I don't want to sound arrogant or whatever the word is but people say life is to short so who gives a monkey's about money if you've got it and enjoy speedway i can't believe £20 -£30 quid is to much for a night's enjoyment especially if you have a local track.I'm sure my friends brother would love to spend money to go to a meeting but he can't as he went to bed one night a few years ago and never woke up that's why I don't worry about spending money.Enjoy what you can afford don't think something is to expensive it's only money.

• Like 1

I certainly pick and choose at Lynn nowadays for several reasons and I'll be doing it even more so in 2023 at £22 and a fifty mile round trip. Its an occasional 'treat' nowadays rather than going every week come what may. 

• Like 1

£20 is expensive? I don't know what it is this season, but last year, to go to a third division football match (Walsall) was £35. Just to see 22 men running up and down, with perhaps a couple of goals if you're lucky.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, *JJ said:

£20 is expensive? I don't know what it is this season, but last year, to go to a third division football match (Walsall) was £35. Just to see 22 men running up and down, with perhaps a couple of goals if you're lucky.

Yeah my team (Scunthorpe United) are now in the conference and it’s £21 so when you compare it to that it’s proportional 

• Like 1

£18,£20,£22 its all relative to how much enjoyment you get from it,personally during the season  for me its the best £££ I spend all week. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, lewy said:

£18,£20,£22 its all relative to how much enjoyment you get from it,personally during the season  for me its the best £££ I spend all week. 

Personally I don't think that is expensive compared to other sports. I went to the world cup at Poole, probably best meeting I had ever seen but spoke to someone at the next league meeting and he didn't go as he thought it was too expensive, really! it was the world cup final. 

• Like 1

Hull based and a Scunthorpe regular , so my outgoings for 2023 will be 

Humber bridge £3 ,diesel  approx £6 , pint approx £4 , entrance and programme £20

so Approx in monetary terms £33 for  15 minutes of entertainment??

So approx £33 per home meeting  , is it good value possibly not . But if we don’t attend we will lose it and I’ve seen Hull close in 2005 after a successful 2004 season sadly .  Put the rising costs on all hobbies, will I be at the EW Raceway in 2023 too right I will  and I hope many others will as well .Support your local track 

• Like 1

Same here but no drink, still not that cheap but worth it to me as I get so much enjoyment from the sport.  Not my team & not over-fussed over the result but I just love speedway.  Tried giving up but missed it terribly (there's no cure) so here I still am, like this year will get to as many meetings in 2023 as I can....

Edited by martinmauger
belated, too late, spelling

On 12/17/2022 at 6:27 PM, Fromafar said:

For Berwick who have stopped Concessions ( their prerogative) it’s going from £13 to £20 pay on the day.For me including travel it’s too much for me and my wife,certainly will pick and choose ( although it’s hard too tell how a match will pan out).Can’t speak for anyone else though.Not all Pensioners are the richest people in the country as some would have you believe.Value for money is coming into play now for me £50+ for a night at Berwick.!!!!

Wow...

A near 54% price increase in a "cost of living crisis"...?

Not sure that is the best idea, especially when a business such as Speedway relies on the "grey pound" so much...

Hope it works out for them...

8 League matches instead of 16 (original plan) makes it more affordable especially if they can land fortnightly.

When set against cost of PL / EFL / Cricket and other attractions + nights out olcally it's NOT bad value.

With Commonwealth Games done and dusted travel will hopefully be easier.

£18 concession admission when I'm 65 in May will be welcome. .

In terms of locality and frequency in our case I'd say it is good value everything considered.  

According to Brum Forum the Team Manager says that we have 4.22 left, BSF says we have 4.79 ?

Wright's average has changed on BSF ?

Just to add a comment re:costs etc....

My perspective is, it's not about how much, but what is the value ?

Everybody will have their own opinion on value, based on their financial/social status....(some people will not just look forward to seeing some speedway, but meeting up with like minded people/friends etc...)

So, my take is........ is £20 value for money to watch/attend a Championship meeting ? (forget the travel/food/drink etc....)

7 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

According to Brum Forum the Team Manager says that we have 4.22 left, BSF says we have 4.79 ?

Wright's average has changed on BSF ?

Looks like 4.22 to me

7 hours ago, Tosh1218 said:

Hull based and a Scunthorpe regular , so my outgoings for 2023 will be 

Humber bridge £3 ,diesel  approx £6 , pint approx £4 , entrance and programme £20

so Approx in monetary terms £33 for  15 minutes of entertainment??

So approx £33 per home meeting  , is it good value possibly not . But if we don’t attend we will lose it and I’ve seen Hull close in 2005 after a successful 2004 season sadly .  Put the rising costs on all hobbies, will I be at the EW Raceway in 2023 too right I will  and I hope many others will as well .Support your local track 

You get entry and a programme for £20 that's good value