British Speedway Forum
LagutaRacingFan

Should the OAP discount be scrapped?

6 minutes ago, wealdstone said:

We are such a burden to society  that we should all be exterminated. 

I think the Govt & NHS call us 'bed-blockers'?  You can see why Hancock  got 2 years supply of Midazolam just before the start of the 'pandemic'

1 hour ago, wealdstone said:

We are such a burden to society  that we should all be exterminated. 

Isn't it great to be 'disliked' just because you are older ?

48 minutes ago, Beowulf said:

Isn't it great to be 'disliked' just because you are older ?

We have passed our sell by date  and are no longer of any use to society.  Once such assets as we have that  were scrimped and saved for are passed to the "we are entitled " brigade we will fade off into history

1 hour ago, wealdstone said:

We have passed our sell by date  and are no longer of any use to society.  Once such assets as we have that  were scrimped and saved for are passed to the "we are entitled " brigade we will fade off into history

Next up will be Concessions for U/65s no doubt. It’s the way forward I feel.!!

It is us OAPS that should be scrapped

Adding another 2p worth, I'm still a good few years off OAP status myself (at least least I hope they will be good) but have seen for myself that times aren't easy for my mum & dad, who are OAPs.  Saw one track, forget which, only offered a £2 discount on adult admission for OAPs me, I wouldn't bother over that amount, it might just pay for a proggie or parking.  The point I'm trying to make is I think OAP discount should be more, say £5 or so, else isn't really much of a saving....

3 hours ago, martinmauger said:

Adding another 2p worth, I'm still a good few years off OAP status myself (at least least I hope they will be good) but have seen for myself that times aren't easy for my mum & dad, who are OAPs.  Saw one track, forget which, only offered a £2 discount on adult admission for OAPs me, I wouldn't bother over that amount, it might just pay for a proggie or parking.  The point I'm trying to make is I think OAP discount should be more, say £5 or so, else isn't really much of a saving....

I am certain that there will be people of pensionable age that have difficulty making ends meet, but the same could be said of those of working age.  With the payment of superannuation pensions, however, some will never have had it so good.

What you cannot do is advocate discounts on the basis of individuals - it simply has to be on an average of a grouping as a whole. As I have pointed out, there is some evidence to show that the average pensioner is actually better off than their working age equivalent. Why, then, should they received discounted admission ??

Having said that, I believe that this question is more about the effect that having (or not having) reductions has on speedway's finances rather than whether they are right or not.  For myself, I think getting rid of them is likely to actually be detrimental to the amount of money taken at the gate. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Halifaxtiger said:

I am certain that there will be people of pensionable age that have difficulty making ends meet, but the same could be said of those of working age.  With the payment of superannuation pensions, however, some will never have had it so good.

What you cannot do is advocate discounts on the basis of individuals - it simply has to be on an average of a grouping as a whole. As I have pointed out, there is some evidence to show that the average pensioner is actually better off than their working age equivalent. Why, then, should they received discounted admission ??

Having said that, I believe that this question is more about the effect that having (or not having) reductions has on speedway's finances rather than whether they are right or not.  For myself, I think getting rid of them is likely to actually be detrimental to the amount of money taken at the gate. 

A point to consider. OAP'S allegedly may now have more disposable income than younger people. But that is only because we have paid off our mortgage/debts. So these younger people will get to that position eventually. So not quite an equal comparison I would say.

Every time I think I'm close to retirement the change the qualifying age 60, 65, 67 now 70 I feel like a donkey chasing a carrot on  a stick.

A few seniors at Peterborough didn’t pay anything to get in for the last two seasons apparently. Their excuse? They were riding for the Panthers!

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, Technik said:

Every time I think I'm close to retirement the change the qualifying age 60, 65, 67 now 70 I feel like a donkey chasing a carrot on  a stick.

You can choose to retire at any age.

13 hours ago, Beowulf said:

A point to consider. OAP'S allegedly may now have more disposable income than younger people. But that is only because we have paid off our mortgage/debts. So these younger people will get to that position eventually. So not quite an equal comparison I would say.

Very true. But I really don't see the relevance to the issue at hand.

It seems to me there are two questions here. Firstly, should OAP's be allowed a concessionary rate at speedway's turnstiles, presumably based upon the pretext that their income is lower than someone of working age. Secondly, if not should the concessionary rate be scrapped. 

I don't wish to repeat myself again but evidence suggests that the average pensioner has more income (after housing costs) than a non pensioner. Based upon that, the concessionary rate is entirely unjustifiable, as you would effectively be allowing those with more disposable income to get in at a cheaper amount.

However, my own view is that to scrap the discount would be detrimental to the overall amount of takings at the gate. Some pensioners genuinely could not afford an increase (even a modest one) and some simply wouldn't pay it even if they could. 

10 minutes ago, Halifaxtiger said:

Very true. But I really don't see the relevance to the issue at hand.

It seems to me there are two questions here. Firstly, should OAP's be allowed a concessionary rate at speedway's turnstiles, presumably based upon the pretext that their income is lower than someone of working age. Secondly, if not should the concessionary rate be scrapped. 

I don't wish to repeat myself again but evidence suggests that the average pensioner has more income (after housing costs) than a non pensioner. Based upon that, the concessionary rate is entirely unjustifiable, as you would effectively be allowing those with more disposable income to get in at a cheaper amount.

However, my own view is that to scrap the discount would be detrimental to the overall amount of takings at the gate. Some pensioners genuinely could not afford an increase (even a modest one) and some simply wouldn't pay it even if they could. 

...different, I know, but I recall a pensioner getting on my local bus who looked to be well off in appearance showing her bus pass to the driver who refused to accept it as it was before the time allocated (pre-9-00am). The time was 8-55am and she stood there arguing that by the time the bus got to the next stop it would be 9-00am...he gave up in the end and said "I can't be bothered arguing as I have a timetable to keep to so get on the bus." The fare at the time for a senior was 50p!

At Wolves the concession starts at 60 so at 61 now I've qualified but it seems a fair few under 60 pay the concession which is wrong in my eyes, screw the club it may not be there in the future. Maybe next year CVS should have a pound increase to £20 and £18 but raise the concession age to 65. I'd miss out myself but seems a sensible idea to me

8 hours ago, steve roberts said:

...different, I know, but I recall a pensioner getting on my local bus who looked to be well off in appearance showing her bus pass to the driver who refused to accept it as it was before the time allocated (pre-9-00am). The time was 8-55am and she stood there arguing that by the time the bus got to the next stop it would be 9-00am...he gave up in the end and said "I can't be bothered arguing as I have a timetable to keep to so get on the bus." The fare at the time for a senior was 50p!

This highlights some of HT's comments Steve, as we get older some get more cantankerous and principled which is why the BSPwhatsit should retain it where possible. If it goes many may cut their noses off to spite their face and stay at home.

In my own case, on a pension, I had planned my expenditure against my income to leave me a couple of hundred quid a month for leisure. That has been consumed by the increase in the cost of energy (from £62 a month to £160), fuel for my car from £52 a tankfull to £85 twice a month and my grocery shopping which is pretty stable in content is up roughly by 20%. Now as HT points out everyone is affected by these rises and it doesn't matter how long pensioners strike for, nobody will enter into negotiations with us, it's a worry so spending £20 plus fuel and whatever else now needs thinking about. I couldn't go to my nearest track on my own for less than £45 and that's without a programme or a cup of tea.

Sheffield have been criticised for raising their admission prices but in reality they have little choice, by the time you take vat out of the admission income and then realise the relatively high concession mix it just doesn't add up and without "Everything R Us" as significant sponsors there really would be a short term risk at Owlerton.

Edited by Byker Biker
  • Like 1