British Speedway Forum
LagutaRacingFan

Should the OAP discount be scrapped?

2 hours ago, Hawk127 said:

We were lucky we had a garden called the central reservation albeit the hgv drivers use to rain something on us as they passed by but my parents use to say be thankful that the government were not pissing on us. Not sure I followed the logic but when I got a job I went up market and had a round about which we share with chickens.

Eeeeeee.. 

We were poo-er   

But we were 'appy....:D

Adding my 2P's worth (though a good few years off being an OAP myself), one very well known ex-promoter didn't offer an OAP discount - despite actually being an OAP :o.....

• Like 1

Until someone has to live off a pension and see how thinly that income has to be spread I don't feel they are qualified to add value to this topic. Deciding what stays and goes on a monthly basis isn't a comfortable feeling.

In my opinion Speedway would be better off trying to keep the customers it has already got rather than risk alienating more. The sport hasn't been very good in the past at this, self interest and the blind desire to win has distorted every possible view of what was a sport. The limited company that has no financial or marketing leadership and is running the "show" needs to become a proper company instead of an agency for the village fete committee then we might see some accountability and unilateral direction. The decision to become a limited company in my opinion was purely a risk averse move.

In simple terms; invest in a growing market, consolidate in a static market and defend in a receding market. It all costs money but in these times it may be wiser to try and lose less by defending what they already have.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Byker Biker said:

Until someone has to live off a pension and see how thinly that income has to be spread I don't feel they are qualified to add value to this topic. Deciding what stays and goes on a monthly basis isn't a comfortable feeling.

In my opinion Speedway would be better off trying to keep the customers it has already got rather than risk alienating more. The sport hasn't been very good in the past at this, self interest and the blind desire to win has distorted every possible view of what was a sport. The limited company that has no financial or marketing leadership and is running the "show" needs to become a proper company instead of an agency for the village fete committee then we might see some accountability and unilateral direction. The decision to become a limited company in my opinion was purely a risk averse move.

In simple terms; invest in a growing market, consolidate in a static market and defend in a receding market. It all costs money but in these times it may be wiser to try and lose less by defending what they already have.

Careful! That sort of common sense is not liked by many in speedway.

• Like 2

I get the full state pension plus a small private pension cant live on that so I still work part time so I can manage must be hard if u rely on the state pension  only

• Like 1

21 hours ago, mikebv said:

Eeeeeee.. 

We were poo-er   

But we were 'appy....:D

BECAUSE we were poor!

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Waspman said:

I get the full state pension plus a small private pension cant live on that so I still work part time so I can manage must be hard if u rely on the state pension  only

Which is what I do, though I don't have any expensive habits except going to the speedway!

• Like 2

I receive the state pension and also have a workplace pension which means that I am comfortable providing I do not try to live beyond my means. If anywhere I go has a reduced price for pensioners then it is very nice but not having a reduction would not stop me from going. In fact in most cases if I have received a reduction I will add that to my budget for food and have more to eat at the meeting.

• Like 1

Wolves OAP discount is at 60 which is rare but don't think the £2 saving would stop me going if it changed but it all helps. Doesn't stop some who are obviously below 60 paying discount I've noticed 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bruno said:

Wolves OAP discount is at 60 which is rare but don't think the £2 saving would stop me going if it changed but it all helps. Doesn't stop some who are obviously below 60 paying discount I've noticed 

Given the state retirement age is 66 and rising to 68 this is a bizarre age to set it at as it is not a pensioner discount

4 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Given the state retirement age is 66 and rising to 68 this is a bizarre age to set it at as it is not a pensioner discount

...at my local Fish and Chip Restuarant "The Wetherby Whaler" I qualify for the "pensioner's option" based on being 60.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, steve roberts said:

...at my local Fish and Chip Restuarant "The Wetherby Whaler" I qualify for the "pensioner's option" based on being 60.

Do they serve you a minnow though.

• Haha 1

On 11/20/2022 at 3:49 AM, martinmauger said:

Adding my 2P's worth (though a good few years off being an OAP myself), one very well known ex-promoter didn't offer an OAP discount - despite actually being an OAP :o.....

Len Silver was definitely a pensioner but did not allow concessions when he ran Kent Kings, Sittingbourne. It did however, not stop me from attending every home meeting, as a pensioner, paying full adult price.

53 minutes ago, noaksey said:

£22 adult race night admission at Sheffield

Gulp 

I thought things were cheaper 'oop north' ?