British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

Swedish GP Malilla Saturday July 15th 2023

1 hour ago, szkocjasid said:

If the organisers want to see new names each year all they have to do is stop seeding riders & make everyone qualify, of course they can't control who's in the field doing that!

Everyone has to qualify for the following season. Riders have to race against the best riders in the world ten times a year, and have to finish in the Top Six to receive a "seeding". It is not actually a seeding, it is "qualification".

• Like 3

Thanks "bbc" breakfast this morn no mention of dan,now if only he could kick a ball like a woman.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

Thanks "bbc" breakfast this morn no mention of dan,now if only he could kick a ball like a woman.

Or wack a ball over a net and scream, Now I know Speedway in the UK is down and almost out, but I have never in all my life known anyone that plays Tennis let alone anyone that watches it except for the annual bash at SW19, yet we get daily updates on numerous media outlets, I guess Speedway fans don't have BBC accents ;).

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

Australia currently has the best motocross/ supercross rider in the world in Jett Lawrence , never once seen a news story about him in Aus.

His Brother is fairly handy as well and they look like winning the 450 and 250 titles this year, still not expecting it to make the news.

Chopper

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, chunky said:

Everyone has to qualify for the following season. Riders have to race against the best riders in the world ten times a year, and have to finish in the Top Six to receive a "seeding". It is not actually a seeding, it is "qualification".

What about those who finish 7th, 8th 9th-almost always back in the following year with a 'wild card'. 

• Like 1

2 questions:

1) What are the race suits made of these days? They seem to tear more easily than they used to, I thought they were made from Kevlar

2) Who is the highest paid sportsman in Poland these days? I've got a gap in my records since Tony Millard left us :D

42 minutes ago, iainb said:

2) Who is the highest paid sportsman in Poland these days?

Good luck to any Pole on anything more then Lewandowski's reputed €9m a year salary at Barcelona

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, tyke said:

Good luck to any Pole on anything more then Lewandowski's reputed €9m a year salary at Barcelona

Good luck to him... but he's in Spain :)

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Good points, if you put the top 15 riders in the world in the GP, then more than half of them will fail to make the top 6! Doesn't mean they aren't GP standard, it's simple maths 15 into 6 doesn't fit!

100%….. just because a rider is 9th or 10th doesn’t mean he shouldn’t be in the grand prix the next season 

Tai isn’t what he was and neither this season is Magic …… so people say replace them but nobody offers up anyone who could 

Take those boys out for fresh blood people say but who? And then you would even less competition at the top end then you do now 

Name a rider who is better than Tai or Magic who should be in 

1 hour ago, SPEEDY69 said:

What about those who finish 7th, 8th 9th-almost always back in the following year with a 'wild card'. 

If you think there are more deserving riders then name them

• Like 1

3 hours ago, heathen52 said:

Or wack a ball over a net and scream, Now I know Speedway in the UK is down and almost out, but I have never in all my life known anyone that plays Tennis let alone anyone that watches it except for the annual bash at SW19, yet we get daily updates on numerous media outlets, I guess Speedway fans don't have BBC accents ;).

Always thought the Wimbledon fortnight is aimed at the remainder of the population of the UK who dislike  all forms of sport.

1 hour ago, Gavan said:

100%….. just because a rider is 9th or 10th doesn’t mean he shouldn’t be in the grand prix the next season 

Tai isn’t what he was and neither this season is Magic …… so people say replace them but nobody offers up anyone who could 

Take those boys out for fresh blood people say but who? And then you would even less competition at the top end then you do now 

Name a rider who is better than Tai or Magic who should be in 

I'd  say that Kubera is better then Janowski.

I also rather have Lebedevs, Kubera than Kim Nilsson.

Edited by Ghostwalker

Iga Świątek will take some beating on the highest paid Sports person in Poland I would imagine.

45 minutes ago, Fullmax said:

Always thought the Wimbledon fortnight is aimed at the remainder of the population of the UK who dislike  all forms of sport.

That's what they say about it on the Hawksbee & Jacobs show on talksport... it's a sport for people who don't like sport :D

6 minutes ago, Col said:

Iga Świątek will take some beating on the highest paid Sports person in Poland I would imagine.

$9,875,525 in prize money last year. Add sponsorship and it is probably double that.

(But still less than Robert Lewandowski I'd guess [salary alone of €18m])