British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Skidder1

TEAM AMERICA v Rest Of World; 4th February 2023

23 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

Nice wide, more circle than oval, track

Dan B should enjoy himself around there.

Jensen too...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, andout said:

Seen various start times for this 1:00pm, 3:30pm and 9:00pm.......anyone have anything definitive?

Even the link above has two different times. I'll take UK time and deduct 5 hours!!

It's 1.00pm in Califormia, which is 9.00pm here.

On 1/29/2023 at 6:48 PM, mikebv said:

Nice wide, more circle than oval, track

Dan B should enjoy himself around there.

Jensen too...

Is there a score card for thus meeting ? 

Anyone else been watching this?

Thought it was quite a disappointment and not worth the money to watch the BSN stream.

Thought presentation would be better with it being America, but it was awful.  A bloke playing the American National Anthem on what seemed to be his first guitar lesson, A scruffy chap doing centre green interviews while wearing a rucksack.  Meeting introductions very untidy and disorganised.

Racing was quite decent for the main test match considering the track was so small.   But it was spoilt by the lack of helmet colours.  BSN captions were all over the place.     Full marks to Adam Roynon who did a brilliant job of identifying riders considering that he was commentation from UK and only having the same pictures that we had.   The other commentator was clueless.

After the main test match it's been a shambles.  Took ages to do a presentation.  USA riders wandered out randomly some without their racejackets.  Laurence Riogers out there loving himself photobombing the winning team photos even though his country lost.     We're now 2 hours 40 mins into the meeting and still trying to do the second half, no one knows who's in which races, but Adam Roynon still being a hero recognising riders.

• Like 1

Just watched the main meeting,the track was so small their "airfence" was a mixture of a concrete wall and a white line,no safety for the riders,was a bit of a shambles with no helmet colours.

• Like 1

Some decent racing in the main event but would have helped with helmet colours and being a bit more professional and not as drawn out.I suppose thats the way of North American Speedway not as professional as in Europe.

The young chap called Cairns looks a very good prospect for the future .

Bit chaotic at times but enjoyable all the same. Strong reminder how useful helmet colours are. Never really thought much about that before. 

agree young Cairns looked very good. 

Agree with lot said on here, the no helmet colours were a big problem. National Anthem was just about the worst I have ever heard, muted my way through that one.

The fence BTW is NOT concrete, its plywood. This is normal for USA tracks and no air bags yet for this country and of course, no dirt deflectors.

Commentator continually said "first USA v World" since 1988....totally untrue, they have one every year except for the COVID years....results are on the International Speedway website if anyone is interested.

As others have said "Cairns" looks to be a great prospect for the future at only 13.....definitely one to keep an eye on.

Glad I watched it though.

William Cairns has been riding in the UK for a number of years now.  Great opportunity for him in the US.  His elderly relative Dennis Cairns was still riding well into his later years - may still be.

Just watched Ellis win this on what looked like a Gerhard engine... whatever happened to them, what was the problem with them and why doesn't anybody use them anymore? 

9 minutes ago, iainb said:

Just watched Ellis win this on what looked like a Gerhard engine... whatever happened to them, what was the problem with them and why doesn't anybody use them anymore? 

I think in the main people will stick with what they know, unless other riders were flying on something new. Which didn't happen.  From what i gathered, although the engine went a fair bit longer between " servicing" ( a rebuild in effect) their performance dropped off  before  the service interval was due, add to that they weren't cheap and harder to tune.

Someone might pop along who has used one to give us first hand knowledge :t:

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Bald Bloke said:

I think in the main people will stick with what they know, unless other riders were flying on something new. Which didn't happen.  From what i gathered, although the engine went a fair bit longer between " servicing" ( a rebuild in effect) their performance dropped off  before  the service interval was due, add to that they weren't cheap and harder to tune.

Someone might pop along who has used one to give us first hand knowledge :t:

Didn't Freddie win a GP on one?

2 hours ago, iainb said:

Didn't Freddie win a GP on one?

I think he did, but even he didn’t use them long.I think he was Gerhard’s top test pilot at the time and probably had Gerhards full attention .

Edited by Bald Bloke