British Speedway Forum
FishersGate

New speedway clubs for fun

On 2/2/2023 at 2:16 PM, HGould said:

Upper Piddle Widdlers

Looe Crappers

Looe Crappers? I hope extra portaloos will be installed at the stadium of this new club

11 minutes ago, Nickinho said:

The Yarmouth Yeti Spotters

We once had Yarmouth Bloaters.

North of the border version today would be Arbroath Smokies -  may re-kindle fishy memories ?

I don't know where a lot of the franchise names originate from in speedway, some are more obvious than others, Ipswich Witches for example or Wolverhampton Wolves. Many franchise names in other sports have some kind of local connection, Sheffield Wednesday "Owls", Owlerton, San Francisco 49ers in NFL for the miners... what would they be for past or present Speedway clubs? I'll start you off:

Scunthorpe Steelers

Edited by iainb
  • Like 1

On 2/8/2023 at 8:39 AM, iainb said:

I don't know where a lot of the franchise names originate from in speedway, some are more obvious than others, Ipswich Witches for example or Wolverhampton Wolves. Many franchise names in other sports have some kind of local connection, Sheffield Wednesday "Owls", Owlerton, San Francisco 49ers in NFL for the miners... what would they be for past or present Speedway clubs? I'll start you off:

Scunthorpe Steelers

'Newport Dole Queuers', 'Wimbledon Volleys' and 'Arena-Essex We Cannot Afford The Rent In London-ers'.

Interestingly there used to be a team in Aldershot during the 1950s who were called the 'Shots'. Not the most original :)

On 2/2/2023 at 6:45 PM, Grachan said:

I remember hearing about a Grass Speedway meeting in Newbury. I think it was probably near where the Fox and Hounds motocross track was. It would be interesting to see that.

Cover gives venue as Sandleford Farm, Newton Road, (somewhere between a kilometre and a mile south of the station).

Newbury v Sth Reading 110949.jpeg

Edited by arnieg
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, arnieg said:

Cover gives venue as Sandleford Farm, Newton Road, (somewhere between a kilometre and a mile south of the station).

Newbury v Sth Reading 110949.jpeg

That's amazing. Thanks Arnie. Will have to look up Sandleford farm. I know there is a dual carriageway called The Sandleford link, so maybe a clue there.

These houses are actually called "Sandleford Farm" so could be the spot.

Sandleford Farm - GHE Homes

Looks like Maurie Leonard is Brian Leonard's father. About: Brian Leonard (speedway rider) (dbpedia.org)

Edited by Grachan

2 hours ago, Grachan said:

That's amazing. Thanks Arnie. Will have to look up Sandleford farm. I know there is a dual carriageway called The Sandleford link, so maybe a clue there.

These houses are actually called "Sandleford Farm" so could be the spot.

Sandleford Farm - GHE Homes

Looks like Maurie Leonard is Brian Leonard's father. About: Brian Leonard (speedway rider) (dbpedia.org)

Leonard senior was a regular at California 1948-50. I don't think he ever rode league speedway.

6 minutes ago, arnieg said:

Leonard senior was a regular at California 1948-50. I don't think he ever rode league speedway.

What about Henry Ashby. Any relation?

23 hours ago, Grachan said:

What about Henry Ashby. Any relation?

...think he was Martin and David's father?

2 hours ago, steve roberts said:

...think he was Martin and David's father?

He was. I messaged Lee Ashby to ask if it was and he confirmed it.

• Like 1

Flint Locks
Dundee Cakes
Bakewell Tarts
Bury Berries
Leicester Squares

Edited by chunky

Bury Black Puddings

Buxton Waterboys

Cornish Pasties

Brighton Benders

Lancashire Hotpots