British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
MattB

One Minute for reruns

BRITISH Speedway will bring in a new one-minute warning in order to speed up re-runs following unsatisfactory starts this season.

Any race which is stopped where there is no incident such as a rider falling will have the time allowance for the re-run halved from the normal two minutes to just one.

SCB co-ordinator Neil Vatcher explained: “During the course of the close season the members of the BSP Ltd have been in consultation with the SCB regards regulation changes for the 2023 season, and one of the major points brought to the table was when there is an unsatisfactory start, and the race is stopped without any incident or accident.

“As with any other time allowance for the start of the race, previously the riders were allowed two minutes to return back to the start after the race had been stopped.

“The authorities were in agreement that where there has been no incident or accident, just an unsatisfactory start, there is no need to allow an extra two minutes for those riders to return to the start, and one minute would be sufficient.

“Therefore, for the 2023 season in the scenario of an unsatisfactory start without any incident or accident, the riders will be required to return back to the start line within one minute.”

• Like 2

Hooooooray! Only 20 years too late, but better late than never I suppose!

• Like 3

Or just put the two minutes on as soon as the race is stopped. The hold up isn't the two minute warning, it's not putting the two minute warning on quick enough. So not putting the shiny new one minute warning on quick enough will still mean there is some hanging about.

If there was actually two minutes between a stoppage and a restart, it wouldn't be a problem in the first place.

• Like 8

Straight back round to the start no need for any time allowance,keep pit gate closed and no helpers on centre green allowed,and no getting of bike to kick dirt around ,simples!

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

Straight back round to the start no need for any time allowance,keep pit gate closed and no helpers on centre green allowed,and no getting of bike to kick dirt around ,simples!

Sound right to me...why complicate things with another rule.

Sounds ok to me & about time BUT they will still be on track, facing the direction of travel so

"being required to return to the start line within one minute"

will still mean another 45+ seconds of gardening & starting position when they get there instead of "ready to race".

48 minutes ago, IronScorpion said:

Sounds ok to me & about time BUT they will still be on track, facing the direction of travel so

"being required to return to the start line within one minute"

will still mean another 45+ seconds of gardening & starting position when they get there instead of "ready to race".

Change "to" too "at"!

Needs to be at tapes stationery and ready to race not simply being on the track

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, bruno said:

Agree

This is good news provided the referees all hit the one minute button as soon as the red lights go on to stop the race. Trouble is that some referees are very slow with the current two minute warning and I fear they will be no quicker with the one minute warning. Lessons should be given by Frank Ebdon on how to do it right.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bruno said:

That's pushing the envelope :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, bruno said:

If I remember that was the stipulation of the "two minute rule"...how many times have we seen riders arrive at the tapes with seconds to spare only to then mess around. I do recall Melvyn Taylor once turning round and being excluded whilst on "two minutes" after he got to start line because someone else was messing around. Mel's reason for turning round was that his goggles were misting up and he needed to clear them?

Even with a one minute warning I reckon many refs would still not be able to keep the show running as smoothly as Frank Ebdon always did.

• Like 1

I remember a meeting at Arena Essex when rain was forecast to be very heavy within 90 minutes of start time. Parade was cancelled and dot on time the 2 minute warning sounded. As each race finished the 2 minute warning for the next race sounded as the 4th place rider crossed the finish line! It started raining earlier than forecast but still 5 minutes after the end of the last race. With some referees we would have been lucky to have seen seven races but Frank got it finished.

• Like 1