British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
4thbender

Electric Speedway bikes

There have been other videos showing electric bikes, which presently, don't seem to work the same as the 4 strokes. However, I'm sure they will develop.

I'm sure there will be a series for the electric model within the next 5 years. Maybe at a youth level to start but we cannot ignore the future & how fast it comes

Speedway has been around since 1928 and we still push the bikes to start them! Of course we can ignore the future..... 

If people are concerned about losing the noise and the smell, well the noise issue can be easily solved by putting on some headphones with the pre-recorded conventional sound of a race cued up on your phone/iPod.

Solved.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

What about the smell?

The smell has virtually gone now, as many of the boys use synthetic oil. Probably due to the tuners saying it's best! But forgetting about the marketing aspect of 'the smell'. Regarding noise, well, it's noise which has contributed to killing speedway over the years. Football and Rugby only has the noise of the crowd, the spectators could replace the noise of the engines. With proper development and people being open minded, I think it could work. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ray Stadia said:

The smell has virtually gone now, as many of the boys use synthetic oil. Probably due to the tuners saying it's best! But forgetting about the marketing aspect of 'the smell'. Regarding noise, well, it's noise which has contributed to killing speedway over the years. Football and Rugby only has the noise of the crowd, the spectators could replace the noise of the engines. With proper development and people being open minded, I think it could work. 

And could bring many large manufacturers into the sport..

Something Honda tried to do many years ago...

"Closed shop/Vested interest" could be a thing of the past with the costs getting driven down by a greater supply of manufacturers...

We already have e-bike championships in road racing so the fundamental basics will be out there...

No noise pollution would be a strong persuasion for any planning requests...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mikebv said:

And could bring many large manufacturers into the sport..

Something Honda tried to do many years ago...

"Closed shop/Vested interest" could be a thing of the past with the costs getting driven down by a greater supply of manufacturers...

We already have e-bike championships in road racing so the fundamental basics will be out there...

No noise pollution would be a strong persuasion for any planning requests...

Also, electric speedway, could have the opportunity to shake off the 'greasy rockers' image, which still exists with some people. It could attract a fresh cohort of spectators, especially those who are conscious about global warming etc

• Like 3

I've always found that strange in that very few bikers follow speedway whereas more follow Moto GP but that as an image more like formula 1. Glitz and glamour and modern

1 hour ago, bruno said:

I've always found that strange in that very few bikers follow speedway whereas more follow Moto GP but that as an image more like formula 1. Glitz and glamour and modern

It's very obvious why bikers don't follow Speedway. There's no relevance to the real world except they have two wheels. 

Other bike sports you can pretty much buy similar out a shop & use day to day. 

Edited by Daniel Smith
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

It's very obvious why bikers don't follow Speedway. There's no relevance to the real world except they have two wheels. 

Other bike sports you can pretty much buy similar out a shop & use day to day. 

Speedway bikes are basically a stripped down version of the road bikes in the 1920s and 30s. Hardtail rear ends, single cylinder 4 stroke engine, separate gearbox (single speed countershaft, used in speedway) and a single seat (saddle). Due to the riding style, a modern road going bike of any type, will not work going left round an oval track, drifting on the corners! 

• Like 1

Electric Speedway Bikes - No thanks !! 

Even my kids loved the noise, the smell - speedway in silence in no thanks.

9 hours ago, Hackett said:

Electric Speedway Bikes - No thanks !! 

Even my kids loved the noise, the smell - speedway in silence in no thanks.

What about a hybrid? With a quieter 100cc menthanol burning engine and maybe one or two riders using castor oil?  

• Like 2

There may be 2 positive avenues to progress here

(1) the fact that with a core motor package you can quite easily tune it to have equivalent higher output. So a young rider could be a 125 or 250 tuned electric engine and then reset it to the equivalent of a 500cc power output. Potentially a MASSIVE saving long term although I am not sure how wasy it would be to "police over-sized".

(2) It may really open up INDOOR venues. I remember the 1979NEC Meeting with a world class field basically on a rubber floor with slick tyres but a very big crowd. I'd think an Indoor Series based in UK or Europe using electric bikes could be a massive boost for Oval Racing / Speedway. Back in 1979 there was the NEC and that was about it, look at every major City now and you have Indoor venues that could accomodate up to 10000 seats and a 250-300 metre track in various configurations.