British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
4BM

Speedway Testimonials

What’s the pre-requisite now for a rider to get a testimonial?  Know is used to be 10 years at one club.  Is it now 10 years as an asset of one club even if not ridden all the time for them (loaned out) or is it just 10 years riding?  Just can’t remember likes of Richie Worrall and Paul Starke for example being associated with just one club

• Like 1

Great question.

Does 'doubling up' under the same promotion reduce the time period from ten years to five? :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

You don't even have to have retired to receive a "farewell" meeting these days :D

• Like 1

I know that in the "Good Old Days" it used to be if you served ten years or more at one club...if I recall Eric & Nigel Boocock and Terry Betts were the first to enjoy a benefit meeting? It was then extended to those who served under the same promotion (Gordon Kennett comes to mind) but nowadays it seems very ambiguous and open to all sorts of interpretation.

5 hours ago, steve roberts said:

I know that in the "Good Old Days" it used to be if you served ten years or more at one club...if I recall Eric & Nigel Boocock and Terry Betts were the first to enjoy a benefit meeting? It was then extended to those who served under the same promotion (Gordon Kennett comes to mind) but nowadays it seems very ambiguous and open to all sorts of interpretation.

If the 10yr rule was stuck to rigidly today there wouldn't be any riders who would qualify because of the nomadic nature of the sport in this country .

Edited by FAST GATER
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, FAST GATER said:

If the 10yr rule was stuck to rigidly today there wouldn't be any riders who would qualify because of the nomadic nature of the sport in this country .

Josh Auty was the last genuine 10 year man

Edited by arnieg
  • Like 1

Some off these testimonials are a joke, I don't know why fans pay to watch. Steve Worrall has done 11seasons in the sport unless he is going to retire at the end of the season he's not worthy of a testimonial.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, eric i said:

Some off these testimonials are a joke, I don't know why fans pay to watch. Steve Worrall has done 11seasons in the sport unless he is going to retire at the end of the season he's not worthy of a testimonial.

Some rider's ain't even worthy of a 'farwell' meeting in my opinion. 

For me, only 'The Greats' should get it, genuine servants to club, country or league. 

I would make it rule that: 

Rider testimonials:

To have ridden for 1 club for 10 seasons (being an asset excluded). 

Farewell meetings:

Ridden British Premiership or Championship 15 seasons consecutively.

To have ridden for 1 club for 10+ seasons (being an asset excluded).

Given service to the Great Britain National team for 7 seasons+

4 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

To have ridden for 1 club for 10 seasons (being an asset excluded). 

That was the way it USED to be. I have no idea why they changed it; to be "more inclusive" I suppose...

On 3/30/2023 at 4:08 AM, chunky said:

That was the way it USED to be. I have no idea why they changed it; to be "more inclusive" I suppose...

Prob cos not many riders stay at one club for 10 years anymore. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

All that should mean is that they don't get a testimonial then!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chunky said:

All that should mean is that they don't get a testimonial then!

Steve Worrall says he wants to stay at Poole until he retires (do well to keep the stadium that long tbh!) So as long as he stays another 7 years then all good ;)

4 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

Trouble is the various points limits put in place made it more difficult for a rider to stay at any one track.

1 minute ago, steve roberts said:

Trouble is the various points limits put in place made it more difficult for a rider to stay at any one track.

Yes, that is true! Although some clubs will base their team around one rider. Poole did it with BK in the Prem. Wolves with Sam Masters and Swindon would do it with Leigh Adams and later on Jason Doyle. 

Just now, lisa-colette said:

Yes, that is true! Although some clubs will base their team around one rider. Poole did it with BK in the Prem. Wolves with Sam Masters and Swindon would do it with Leigh Adams and later on Jason Doyle. 

Yes and of course Oxford with Hans Nielsen although Leigh Adams did move around a bit but that was more to do with Swindon dropping a Division. One of my favourites at Oxford was Jens Rasmussen but he twice became a victim of the points limit.