British Speedway Forum
TTT

The future of British Speedway after the 2023 season

On 4/28/2023 at 9:09 AM, old bob at herne bay said:

Morris is right in saying UK speedway needs to own it’s own tracks, ....

Ice hockey teams across the country don't own they rent. 

What you need are tracks that are used every day and night of the week. 

15 minutes ago, Phil said:

Ice hockey teams across the country don't own they rent. 

What you need are tracks that are used every day and night of the week. 

It's this.

A piece of real estate being used for three hours a week, seven months a year, just isn't viable.

Community stadiums have to be the way ahead, sharing facilities with other sports, like greyhounds, hockey, bangers etc. With training facilities where people can pay to play and other revenue streams, like conferences and other events.

Even then it's hard to see that it would be more lucrative than housing or retail space, but at least it could be viable...

Pretty much sums it up...

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, BluPanther said:

Pretty much sums it up...

A sad situation all round 

After the pair’s announcement & the shambles that is Kings Lynn is hard to see a future at the moment. Which is a real shame as the buzz around it’s & the professional nature they go about their business shows what can be done

Season started on such a high, hard to understand how the sport cocks things up on a regular basis

Would someone who is a bit more knowledgable than me be able to put a list together of clubs that are fairly safe for the future and those who risk having the rug pulled from under them. Id say Belle Vue, Ipswich and Leicester are pretty solid in the premiership but I don’t really follow the championship so I don’t know that state of affairs in that league. TIA

1 hour ago, bruno said:

Season started on such a high, hard to understand how the sport cocks things up on a regular basis

Sadly. It isnt too difficult to understand to be honest...

24 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Sadly. It isnt too difficult to understand to be honest...

True

I think it's about time Phil Morris made a statement about the goings on at Kings Lynn and Peterborough as it's made a mockery of what was already a tin pot "Premiership"...and it's looking like a slippery slope down into the abyss for British speedway in general..I mean has it ever been this bad?

• Like 2

Sheffield v Ipswich is now allegedly put back because of a football play off. So speedway just bends over and is shafted by every other outdoor activity. It is a joke given that the speedway stops in October and all other potential events are well known ahead of scheduling speedway meetings. Here you are today with six man teams because of injuries, overseas meetings taking priority over U K meetings, promoters who do not give a rubbishe about the punters, clubs under threat of closure and riders who think that they have some god given right to be paid over the top for mediocre performances and those trying to break into the sport are frustrated at every level and ultimately outgunned by those riders who have some serious sponsors with deeper pockets. It really is time to go back to grass roots and make it part time sport in this country and have standardised machines so that the rider skills come into play rather than the gate and go power machines which do not match the rider’s capability. Not sure how it reinvents itself but time is running out

• Like 3

Due to the forecast of heavy rain on Saturday afternoon the Coronation has had to be postponed , it will now be run  the next day Sunday the 7th of May at 3pm.

This has however thrown up a problem because Prince Charles as he was known then was booked to do an appearance in Poland on that date, however a solution has been found , Chris Harris has offered his services and will now accompany Camilla in the capital .

Chris later commented  " Its a great honour for me to represent my country but at the end of the day its just another pay day " 

• Haha 9

2 minutes ago, topaz325 said:

Due to the forecast of heavy rain on Saturday afternoon the Coronation has had to be postponed , it will now be run  the next day Sunday the 7th of May at 3pm.

This has however thrown up a problem because Prince Charles as he was known then was booked to do an appearance in Poland on that date, however a solution has been found , Chris Harris has offered his services and will now accompany Camilla in the capital .

Chris later commented  " Its a great honour for me to represent my country but at the end of the day its just another pay day " 

But Buster says there's a dent in the crown so it may have to be postponed to an even later date. :icon_smile_clown:

• Haha 4

Don,t know where else to put this but the Greyhound fixtures for 2024 have been released today, these are only the fixtures that will be streamed to its various retail customers worldwide, there are options for Stadiums to stage none Streamed meetings if so desired. I have been unable to copy and paste so I will just do the 3 Tracks that race from Greyhound Stadia ie Wolves, Birmingham and Sheffield;

Sheffield; Will have only 1 evening meeting which will be on Friday evening, all its other streamed meetings will be on mornings and afternoons.

Perry Barr; Will stream evening meetings on Wednesday and Saturday, PB will also have streamed meetings on the afternoons of Tuesday & Thursday, obviously this will effect the Brummies as they race on Wednesday evenings.

Monmore; Evening meetings on Thursday and Saturday, afternoon meetings on Monday & Tuesday, morning meetings on Monday, Wednesday and Saturday.

I would just add Swindon; Tuesday and Thursday evenings, Saturday afternoons, and Monday mornings, personally there seems enough available dates there to stage Speedway at Blunsdon.

The above meeting dates are Streamed only, but as I said if any particular Track wants to stage none streamed meetings then they are perfectly able to do so, once again sorry I can't copy  and paste but here is the full article.

https://greyhoundstar.co.uk/great-fit-pgr/

• Like 1