British Speedway Forum
W9 Lion

Leicester v Sheffield

14 minutes ago, FAST GATER said:

Just wonder if Chris Harris has tipped into that steady slide of being  being a "has been" no where near the rider he was even  last season ! 

He's just at a track that doesn't suit him, I said it straight away before the season started that I didn't understand why he would sign for Leicester.

BSN is the way forward for the sport because Eurosport coverage isn't good imo.

Leicester are finally doing what I expected from them this season, The team are now starting to click and they're the dark horses this season that shouldn't be written off.

Sheffield have got problems, Ellis isn't up to speed this season and Bellego is beyond dreadful, he's basically a rising star on the road at this point, Two thirds of the engine room struggling isn't good at all.

Couldn't be there tonight and have just watched the recording.
Great result for the Lions and I still hold to my assertion that Justin Sedgmen is the signing of the season. He's the Ellis Perks or Connor Mountain from the season when we won the Championship.

As to the TV coverage. It was poor. Actually very poor. The commentary didn't even match the pictures at times. And "watching the leader" when there was obviously a good race going on behind just drives everyone nuts. Well me anyway. Sorry Eurosport, you have all the right ingredients (with one exception). Maybe when you can get "dialled in" you'll make it work.

And if I haven't pi**ed everyone off too much, if there is someone out there who could post the race times, I would be most grateful.

• Like 1

Loved seeing the Lions all click tonight and with my Speedway neutral hat on, it was wonderful to see two teams with their declared 1 to 7 on track, which let’s face it is like rocking horse sh*t these days. I’ll stick my neck out and predict that there will be no more than a dozen meetings like this for the remainder of the season.

• Like 1

Just got home and watched a few heats and unfortunately I have to say professionally that was a lazy and poor production by Eurosport and their production team I expect better in future meetings.

I knew as soon as I got into the stadium at 6:45 I knew that they had got a few things wrong. I cannot understand why they had no cameras on bend 3 or 4 and the camera on the home straight was too far back from the track along with being too low so the start gate gantry kept getting in the way.
Need to be just above the refs box or further forward.

I actually thought the head on angle was good and that personally loved the lower camera on bend 2 doing the Slo Mo that allowed  some good shots. In essence there was only 3 cameras for the racing along with the forward/backward camera just pass the start line which is not enough.

I know they do not have the budget of Sky or BT but the minimum should be head on, Main straight, bend 3 or 4 then at least one slo mo plus couple of wireless cameras for pit and start line shots.

I liked the new push off area and the after race analysis from Scott that to me worked well. Kelvin was what you expect and have a feeling it was the amount of meetings taking place tonight was why he was alone with only BV riders available to commentate. David Rowe was at Leicester as I saw him so was the wolves inserts from the screen 

Hopefully things will improve and that more cameras can be added to the production for future meetings so that it looks more professional production. 

• Like 7

Abysmal coverage. Whoever thought those camera angles were acceptable is a moron. No co-commentator either and the whole production came across as cheap and lazy.

9 hours ago, iainb said:

I'm a Leicester fan... it was boring. 2 hours and 10 minutes for 15 heats leaves a lot of time to get bored

how was the crowd to normal? - in the old days sky meetings were notorious form ruining the crowd - that coupled with seriopus in meeting delays cant be great for fans on the night. It looked fairly decent - one of the mpre embarrasing things is seeing minimal amounts of spectators for a TV match.

Wasn’t good but wasn’t terrible as an overall production but echo the camera angle comments from everyone. 
improved as the meeting went on but heat 1 I felt sick it was that bad.

also, how many seasons have we seen the top level on tv and not show progressive scores for riders? Can’t be hard to pop a programme up after each block of 4. Sky seemed to do it pretty well. Watching on a quick skip through the ads I didn’t have a clue who was scoring what bar Fricke

52 minutes ago, GeneralMelchett said:

how was the crowd to normal? - in the old days sky meetings were notorious form ruining the crowd - that coupled with seriopus in meeting delays cant be great for fans on the night. It looked fairly decent - one of the mpre embarrasing things is seeing minimal amounts of spectators for a TV match.

Despite what some people, who weren't there, have said the crowd was fairly healthy, compared to the other Thursday matches that have been held so far this year... but understandably down on previous years Saturday nights.

Personally, I do wish I had gone to Peterborough instead. There was a complete neglect for the paying fans in the stadium with constant delays and the only interruption to the PA music and distant chugging of a tractor, the meeting presenter coming on to say we're just waiting for Eurosport.

The sport really should be asking itself what is it getting out of TV coverage and especially that of Eurosport. When the cameras do decide to eventually turn up the track is generally prepared differently to normal and invariably produces poor racing. There was dust after heat 1 last night, unforgivable, clouds of dust bellowing up after 4 or 5 races and as I repositioned myself to a different part of the stadium I witnessed people with a coating of dust on their clothes as I went walked around. 

It didn't help that the Sheffield team didn't really turn up apart from the always impressive Tobiasz Musielak, but normally when this kind of thing happens the track is normally on point and the meeting is run at pace.

The beauty of the BSN coverage is that it doesn't effect the running of a meeting, they are just there to capture it and work around it. I hope that the sport is getting a big chunk of money for the televising of Speedway, whether directly or indirectly with the recent league sponsorship deal. I for one will not be attending another "TV meeting" when there is an alternative until the powers that be provide something to fill the gaps... maybe this will be something that Mr Morris will turn his attention to at some point?

Edited by iainb
  • Like 3

The technical coverage last night was truly awful and reminded me of the 60's when BBC Grandstand would have the camera glued to the leading rider whilst all the action was going on behind.

In terms of the technical coverage, I don't think I've seen a worse meeting.

Kelvin must wince when he gets home and watches the replay and you wonder if he is in a position to wield some power and advice with Eurosport.

19 minutes ago, DJC said:

Wasn’t good but wasn’t terrible as an overall production but echo the camera angle comments from everyone. 
improved as the meeting went on but heat 1 I felt sick it was that bad.

also, how many seasons have we seen the top level on tv and not show progressive scores for riders? Can’t be hard to pop a programme up after each block of 4. Sky seemed to do it pretty well. Watching on a quick skip through the ads I didn’t have a clue who was scoring what bar Fricke

2 minutes ago, keepturningleft said:

The technical coverage last night was truly awful and reminded me of the 60's when BBC Grandstand would have the camera glued to the leading rider whilst all the action was going on behind.

Kelvin must wince when he gets home and watches the replay and you wonder if he is in a position to wield some power and advice with Eurosport.

It's been the same for the last 23 years though, we MUST see the winner cross the line and we MUST see the scorecard result after the race, it doesn't matter if all hell is breaking loose elsewhere on the track we MUST see those 2 things... and when a rider or a team win something meaningful we MUST cut to the crowd for their reaction... even if it's one man and his dog waving a flag of that riders country! I've noticed even BSN are starting to fall into this trap

30 minutes ago, keepturningleft said:

BSN are making them look like Amateurs.

• Like 2

To add some perspective to the negative points being made here.
The "delays" during the meeting were down to waiting on TV advertising, coverage of the match at Wolves as well as interviews being made - not all were shown on TV. this combination even caused delays after the track had been graded and watered, not forgetting between the introduction of riders & heat 1. 
Kelvin was alone in the commentary box because his usual co-commentator was with his team at Wolverhampton.   
The crowd was affected by Leicester City being on Tv as well as the Lion. 
There was a camera on bend two which having viewed the recording appeared to be out of use?
Can only agree with everybody who has criticised  the production in terms of what was being shown - hopefully they will get better as more matches are covered.   
The Lions rode well as a team - the Tigers did not - doesn't help for good TV.  

• Like 1