British Speedway Forum
Najjer

Survival of The Premiership?

20 hours ago, truthsayer said:

I don't have any inside information, but I would expect putting on a speedway meeting costs more than £4k, a lot more than £4k. 

And you shouldn't be running a business just to break even, those investing in it should be able to take a wage and make a profit (and have some contingency for rain offs).

I cannot see speedway being paid to be on TV, if anything I can see the sport having to pay for the production in future years. I doubt it is much, if anything, anymore.

Travel for 14 riders, even without coming from other countries, is likely £2k a night. Medical cover will be at least £500 (probably a good bit more) and insurance won't be cheap for a motorsport event. Stadium hire, I have no idea, but must be at least £2k a night before the lights are even turned on.

I have no idea how speedway clubs remain even remotely solvent based on their expenses and income.

Way back when Ipswich nearly went to the wall, it was confirmed that John Louis, as promoter, was the only person (other than the riders), who took a wage out of the club.  All clubs are totally reliant on volunteers, and most clubs have no tangible assets.

There doesn't appear to be viable operating model, and certainly no opportunity for investment.

• Like 1

On 7/25/2023 at 1:54 PM, Wardey said:

Bring Speedway back on Terrestrial TV would help - never gonna happen though.

It has never been on terrestrial TV, apart from highlights. People have rose-tinted, and very distant, memories.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Roger Jacobs said:

It has never been on terrestrial TV, apart from highlights. People have rose-tinted, and very distant, memories.

There were many matches on ITV. Coventry Cradley always a spicy affair.

6 minutes ago, Gambo said:

There were many matches on ITV. Coventry Cradley always a spicy affair.

Central/ATV used to cover Speedway (Cov, CH & Leicester) quite a bit, often in a graveyard slot though, add in Anglia (KL, Ippo & Peterborough) and regionally Speedway did quite well. Nationally World of Sport covered Speedway across a Saturday afternoon. So we did quite well really

On 7/26/2023 at 10:25 AM, Daniel Smith said:

Wolves & Peterborough likely gone, concerns over Edinburgh & Poole's longevity, I just don't see how a 'top league' can be sustainable. 

And now there's even doubts about Leicester as it seems its up for sale also 

Who is 100% committed to the Premiership (?) next year Belle vue, Ipswich , Sheffield .

34 minutes ago, topaz325 said:

Who is 100% committed to the Premiership (?) next year Belle vue, Ipswich , Sheffield .

At this rate it's looking more like a 3 or 4 team tournament rather than a top league:(

10 minutes ago, kevin bass said:

At this rate it's looking more like a 3 or 4 team tournament rather than a top league:(

Sheffield have their own issues - especially over stadium availability

• Like 1

2 hours ago, iainb said:

Central/ATV used to cover Speedway (Cov, CH & Leicester) quite a bit, often in a graveyard slot though, add in Anglia (KL, Ippo & Peterborough) and regionally Speedway did quite well. Nationally World of Sport covered Speedway across a Saturday afternoon. So we did quite well really

But it was never to the extent that people remember.  ITV was, as pointed out, localised.  World of Sport showed highlights of some big meetings.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Roger Jacobs said:

But it was never to the extent that people remember.  ITV was, as pointed out, localised.  World of Sport showed highlights of some big meetings.

Good though wasn't it... all packed into 1 hour with some of the more embarrassing bits edited out

• Like 1

It's done after this year imo.

Terrestrial TV is not the answer. Young people these days are moving away from it and going doing the streaming and Apps for watching shows.

Apart from some of the GP's, with well prepared tracks, Speedway never comes across that well anyway.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, topaz325 said:

Last team standing wins the League .

And retains it:D

• Like 2

6 hours ago, iainb said:

Yorkshire television used to show the odd event,and sponsored the Yorkshire TV trophy,usually from Hull.Some of the footage is still on You Tube.

• Like 1