British Speedway Forum
Najjer

Survival of The Premiership?

15 hours ago, Toady said:

I Never thought I would say it but have been pleasantly surprised with the std of racing in the championship and find I don’t miss the smattering of top stars so if it means speedway here survives without  them so be it.

However I would prefer there to be one league rather than a divide

Most fans just want their team to be competitive and have a decent race track which allows racing and overtaking, it really doesn't matter whether it’s Premiership or Championship.

Unfortunately I am told lay-downs react to grippy or deep tracks more causing more problems for the inexperienced riders.

Predominately the better riders like slick conditions especially the better trappers who can then win more easily when they make the gate.

But you of course this makes for boring gate and go meetings which doesn’t encourage supporters to attend.

If the racing was decent then I dare say more supporters would attend and you wouldn’t see stadiums 90% empty like this weeks World Cup so far.

• Like 2

Even the social media bubble seems to have burst Kings Lynn Twitter and Facebook pages get little comments compared to a few seasons ago that could be down to the age of most of the punters I guess . 

4 minutes ago, bigcatdiary said:

Most fans just want their team to be competitive and have a decent race track which allows racing and overtaking, it really doesn't matter whether it’s Premiership or Championship.

Unfortunately I am told lay-downs react to grippy or deep tracks more causing more problems for the inexperienced riders.

Predominately the better riders like slick conditions especially the better trappers who can then win more easily when they make the gate.

But you of course this makes for boring gate and go meetings which doesn’t encourage supporters to attend.

If the racing was decent then I dare say more supporters would attend and you wouldn’t see stadiums 90% empty like this weeks World Cup so far.

When you use such a contrived operating model which knackers up the credibility of your leagues' structure so much, the only thing you have left to "sell" is the racing...

Not sure all the promoters are aware enough of that, given many still seem to see "winning" as the most important thing...

There needs to be a radical change sooner rather then later, if it ain't to late now even to make the sport more appealing to a younger fan base, ive been going since i was in my teens and im now pushing 58 and my Mum and Dad still go who are in their early 80's, we're classed as old buggers and the majority of the fan base at probably every club is of this age, when we all get to old to attend or turn are toes up who's left to attend the meetings, hardly any bugger the way i see it with how the sport is currently run.

20 minutes ago, kevin bass said:

There needs to be a radical change sooner rather then later, if it ain't to late now even to make the sport more appealing to a younger fan base, ive been going since i was in my teens and im now pushing 58 and my Mum and Dad still go who are in their early 80's, we're classed as old buggers and the majority of the fan base at probably every club is of this age, when we all get to old to attend or turn are toes up who's left to attend the meetings, hardly any bugger the way i see it with how the sport is currently run.

Definitely needs something more to attract younger people 15 heats isn’t enough 15 minutes racing spun out over 2 hours for £22 - why does Stock Cars get such big crowds ? Weekend racing might have something to do with it I guess they seem to advertise stock cars with posters .It’s as if most speedway promotions have given up run out of ideas .

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Haza said:

why does Stock Cars get such big crowds ? Weekend racing might have something to do with it I guess they seem to advertise stock cars with posters .It’s as if most speedway promotions have given up run out of ideas .

Cars are more relatable to the general public, there won't be many people around that haven't been in a car at some point in their lives... Bikes on the other hand are more niche... and Speedway even nicher among the biking community

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bigcatdiary said:

There seems to be the impression that 'gate and go' only applies to one or two riders per race?!

'Gate and go' can apply to all 4 riders in a race, is very often NOT boring and often provides decent, fast racing by riders that 'miss the gate'!

If all 4 'gate and go' then the racing can be very close even when there are no overtakes!!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

There seems to be the impression that 'gate and go' only applies to one or two riders per race?!

'Gate and go' can apply to all 4 riders in a race, is very often NOT boring and often provides decent, fast racing by riders that 'miss the gate'!

If all 4 'gate and go' then the racing can be very close even when there are no overtakes!!

I agree with that and I have to say we have been treated to some fantastic racing at Oxford  this year lots of passing by various riders of home and away teams top riders and youngsters

1 hour ago, Haza said:

Definitely needs something more to attract younger people 15 heats isn’t enough 15 minutes racing spun out over 2 hours for £22 - why does Stock Cars get such big crowds ? Weekend racing might have something to do with it I guess they seem to advertise stock cars with posters .It’s as if most speedway promotions have given up run out of ideas .

Stox get decent crowd on a Wednesday at Arlington. So not necessarily day of week.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iainb said:

Cars are more relatable to the general public, there won't be many people around that haven't been in a car at some point in their lives... Bikes on the other hand are more niche... and Speedway even nicher among the biking community

Less meetings too..

Which means bigger crowds per meeting..

Which reflects better on the standing of the sport from a reputational point of view..

Speedway clubs will (now and again) :rolleyes:have four meetings per month with a similar sized total crowd that the one meeting per month stock car meeting will have..

Therefore  One looks and feel "quite popular", when you are there, and the other doesn't....

Most clubs have at least 2000 to 3000 followers, many of whom "watch from afar", and attend now and again..

They dont attend regularly due to the way the sport is ran, and the ever increasing admission costs for, what is in essence, 15 mins action..

Edited by mikebv

During the lunch break of the Ashes cricket today on BBC 5 sports extra, there was a live interview with sports promoter Eddie Hearn. He made several interesting and relevant points about the sports he promotes and some others that he enjoys eg cricket.

He reckons that in every sport - team or individual - you have to create 'characters'.  Any sport should have characters that fans can relate to, even if the personas are 'made up' to generate supporter and media interest. ( Wrestling,Darts etc)

'Sports should be entertaining - not just in the actual live competition, but also in the pre and post publicity'. 'Whatever the sport purists want it can be achieved but also every event must entertain by creating characters - heroes and villains'!

Interesting.......

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

During the lunch break of the Ashes cricket today on BBC 5 sports extra, there was a live interview with sports promoter Eddie Hearn. He made several interesting and relevant points about the sports he promotes and some others that he enjoys eg cricket.

He reckons that in every sport - team or individual - you have to create 'characters'.  Any sport should have characters that fans can relate to, even if the personas are 'made up' to generate supporter and media interest. ( Wrestling,Darts etc)

'Sports should be entertaining - not just in the actual live competition, but also in the pre and post publicity'. 'Whatever the sport purists want it can be achieved but also every event must entertain by creating characters - heroes and villains'!

Interesting.......

We had characters in the sport in years gone by now I can only think of Nicki Pedersen - in the past there was Kenny Carter and most of the American team Carter seemed to dislike especially Bruce Penhall - that American team of the 80s plenty of young girls thought they was fantastic- at Kings Lynn we had Ian Tiddler Turner a character if ever was one - but nowadays can only think of Nicki 

56 minutes ago, FromBendThree said:

Stox get decent crowd on a Wednesday at Arlington. So not necessarily day of week.

That’s that theory out the window then .

16 minutes ago, Haza said:

We had characters in the sport in years gone by now I can only think of Nicki Pedersen - in the past there was Kenny Carter and most of the American team Carter seemed to dislike especially Bruce Penhall - that American team of the 80s plenty of young girls thought they was fantastic- at Kings Lynn we had Ian Tiddler Turner a character if ever was one - but nowadays can only think of Nicki 

I think you could class Woffy as a "Character"

I’ve introduced , this season, four almost five 15 year old lads, school mates of my sons. They enjoy speedway in its raw form. They are happy to go to every home meeting. I’m taking two to Cardiff too.

The problem is the questions I get asked and I wince. Here are a few:

1. “How come their ( the opposition), number 1 and number 3 have raced for us this season?”.

2. “What’s the commentator mean by he is doing well riding for two teams as well as appearing for us occasionally?”

3. “Why is it every week I come it seems to be the same  14 riders but a different team?”

4. “Where’s Poole?”

• Like 1
  • Haha 2