British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

British GP Cardiff Saturday 2nd September

Personally I thought it was all a bit meh, with a meh winner, especially after Woffy crashed out, I genuinely thought he was going to win it! It was only a glorious success when measured against last year's fiasco. 

The presentation is so poor compared to how it used to be, club anthems pumping out over the PA (WBD clearly don't know their audience) and some self indulgent announcer who clearly loves the sound of his own voice prattling on during the grading breaks.

When looking back at it in a few months/years time I suspect it'd be hard to recall any particular highlights other than the Woffy crash. 

On the whole, it was enjoyable... but certainly no classic... meh

Edited by iainb
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

47 minutes ago, Deano said:

There is a lot of Tai bashing on here, but he is what the sport needs. We are missing those gobby crowd pleasers in domestic speedway. He knows how to get the crowd going and has a lot of support in a live environment.

Totally agree, but... you've occasionally got to back your gob up with performances or you just become a bit of a gobby prat. His move back to the UK genuinely seemed to spark something in him, I hope he returns to the UK next year and steps it back up again. Watching his reaction after winning his opening race in such fine style was something I hadn't seen from him in years!

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, RoundTheBoards said:

So Cardiff 2024 is 17 August

Had to miss this year's event due to family reasons (the only time that I have not attended a Cardiff GP), but our group of 5 or 6 will definitely be back next year!

Edited by Gambo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, R87 said:

Belle Vue MUST stage this event next year.  Cardiff is pants.  I hate it.

No MUST about... It's at Cardiff next year 

• Like 3

Glad people enjoyed their day there.

Some people like myself happen to think its not worth the bother with regards to getting there, the 'choice' of staying over at huge cost or trekking back, the day that drags and drags forever, the same old same old fanzone before the meeting which is usually average at best.

Felt that way for a number of years, but thats just an opinion. 

If you enjoyed it thats all that matters.

Had an absolute blinding time last night, as I always do in Cardiff. Never get the bitching and whining about it. 

Racing was absolutely superb, very few dull heats. Crowd looked at least 5k up on last year, brilliant atmosphere, gorgeous weather. 

Gutted for Tai, who was absolutely on it. Think Lambo dropped a bollock by choosing gate 2, leaving the fast gate 1 on the inside and Bartosz on the other side.

Cracking weekend in an absolutely brilliant city. Cant wait for Bydgoszcz and Cardiff again next year

• Like 7

First post on here for me, long time lurker though..!

We went to Cardiff yesterday, the last visit was for Ryan Sullivan’s win back in 2002

We had a brilliant time, great atmosphere in the city centre and that was matched inside the stadium, the racing was more than acceptable given the history of Cardiff and all in all it was an excellent event.

Already sorting a room for next year..!

Edited by Nielsen
  • Like 1

Unpopular opinion time but I just don't get why people rave so much about Cardiff. Perhaps people are sucked in to the glitz and glamour of it?

I watched the last 8 heats last night and from what I saw the races are pretty much decided by the first bend. I've never rated this track. I would love to see a Grand Prix at Belle Vue which in my opinion is a proper racing track but I would assume Cardiff generates a lot of income for the organisers. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Enjoyed watching on TV last night, went last year, could not go this time due to holidays, but have booked a hotel for 2024, yea not cheap, but it's a great weekend catching up with friends from worky and all over the country, bring it on :D:drink:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JamesHarris said:

Unpopular opinion time but I just don't get why people rave so much about Cardiff. Perhaps people are sucked in to the glitz and glamour of it?

I watched the last 8 heats last night and from what I saw the races are pretty much decided by the first bend. I've never rated this track. I would love to see a Grand Prix at Belle Vue which in my opinion is a proper racing track but I would assume Cardiff generates a lot of income for the organisers. 

I suppose Cardiff gives you the glam full on vibe in a city centre environment. Walking around the city you know there’s a speedway meeting on. Could Belle Vue offer the same. The racing is just part of the experience, many BSPL promotions should learn from it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Deano said:

I suppose Cardiff gives you the glam full on vibe in a city centre environment. Walking around the city you know there’s a speedway meeting on. Could Belle Vue offer the same. The racing is just part of the experience, many BSPL promotions should learn from it.

To be honest that's the impression I get from it. I've been twice and must admit the atmosphere was amazing in the city centre itself but the actual racing was pants. I would compare it to the Monaco Grand Prix. Everyone knows the racing will be dull and decided by the first corner but people want to be a part of the atmosphere and the experience surrounding it. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, JamesHarris said:

To be honest that's the impression I get from it. I've been twice and must admit the atmosphere was amazing in the city centre itself but the actual racing was pants. I would compare it to the Monaco Grand Prix. Everyone knows the racing will be dull and decided by the first corner but people want to be a part of the atmosphere and the experience surrounding it. 

25 minutes ago, Deano said:

It's an event rather than a speedway meeting, it's like when you go to a big stadium concert, you know the sound is probably going to be pants but it's all about the atmosphere.

If you're a speedway purist, it's probably not for you.

Edited by iainb
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, JamesHarris said:

If you only watched the last 8 heats sounds like your not very interested then, people go to Cardiff for the whole weekend and meeting other fans and enjoying a bit of banter in all the restaurants and pubs round the city before and after the meeting.  Belle Vue might produce better racing but it cant match or come anywhere near Cardiff for the facilities around the town and stadium.

• Like 3